Puppy Linux Home Page

News, happenings
wanderer

#16 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy

Long Term Support Puppy

#17 Post by Chrispy »

Hello all,

I happen to be new to puppy linux and am just wondering if anyone could tell me how long it will be safe to continue using Long Term Support Precise Puppy (5.7.1). To tell you the truth, I don't really even know what "Long Term Support" really means... I just know that I was able to revive two of my Windows XP machines, and a Windows Vista machine using Puppy Linux, and would really like to continue using Puppy! However, I read that Barry Kauler has sort of stepped down, and noticed that the website is no longer being updated regularly. So, I'm not quite sure what that means for me. Can I just keep using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 until my machines die?

- Chris P

tlchost

Re: Long Term Support Puppy

#18 Post by tlchost »

Chrispy wrote:HCan I just keep using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 until my machines die?
Or you do, which ever occurs first. (Note: your heirs would still be able to use your machines and precise. The Linux community does not bury their computers with the departed geeks.)

mavrothal

Re: Long Term Support Puppy

#19 Post by mavrothal »

Chrispy wrote: However, I read that Barry Kauler has sort of stepped down, and noticed that the website is no longer being updated regularly. So, I'm not quite sure what that means for me. Can I just keep using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 until my machines die?
Puppylinux is still going on though its official websites are not doing so well (hence this thread)
The last official Puppy is Slacko 5.7, while Slacko 6 and Tahr Puppy are in beta stage.
So I do not think that your hardware will run out of puppies.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wanderer

#20 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#21 Post by mavrothal »

The real problem is that no one stepped up to make a new puppy home page.
Without this everything is irrelevant.
Given a solid new puppy home page, redirections is a minor issue.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wanderer

#22 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#23 Post by mavrothal »

You can not have "official" anything in an openly editable site where anyone can write anonymously (puppy page was vandalized few times).

And if you really want to start adding things to the wiki page (which is perfectly fine) you can also do that in http://puppylinux.org/ where Raffy could grant access to any willing person.

Bottom line, a "new" puppy official site, regardless of its web address, needs work.
The person(s) that will put in the work can choose which platform to use. Is a FOSS project after all :wink:

mcewanw

#24 Post by mcewanw »

I wouldn't be too worried about vandalism on a wikipedia page that is being viewed/monitored by lots of people regularly. However, wikipedia is an encyclopedia resource, which I'd say is very different from what could reasonably be tailored to be a home page for any Linux distribution. In fact, Wikipedia emphasise that the scope of articles and purpose is limited to a particular style and content type:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... dia_is_not

The following is a brief extract, which I feel illustrates the limited nature of the type of content acceptable there:
Encyclopedic content

Information should not be included in this encyclopedia solely because it is true or useful. An encyclopedia article should not be a complete exposition of all possible details, but a summary of accepted knowledge regarding its subject.
Self-promotion. It can be tempting to write about yourself or projects in which you have a strong personal involvement. However, remember that the standards for encyclopedic articles apply to such pages just like any other. This includes the requirement to maintain a neutral point of view, which can be difficult when writing about yourself or about projects close to you. Creating overly abundant links and references to autobiographical sources is unacceptable.
Personally, I think it is an interesting idea to use the Puppy Linux Wikipedia page as a home page for Puppy, but I think the article format required by Wikipedia is likely to be too restrictive for that use. Of course, the existing Puppy Linux Wikipedia is an important pointer to the main Puppy Linux sites, and should be updated regularly along with the currency of the distributions listed there. But if it isn't visited often enough, even that existing page is likely to become stale.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#25 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#26 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#27 Post by Burn_IT »

You need a lead!! :)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

wanderer

#28 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#29 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#30 Post by mavrothal »

As Burn_IT said we need a lead. ie someone to actually start working on this.

The platform of choice is not really important!
Could be puppylinux.org, coupld be the github page that started this thread or just a folder in your computer that can be presented here with a series of slides and if agreed upon, uploaded in one of the existing or a new puppy site.
Making the proper dynamic and easily updatable pages is the challenge! Not their location. :wink:

tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

mavrothal wrote:As Burn_IT said we need a lead. ie someone to actually start working on this.
I suspect we need not only a lead, but a group of folks who will work on the project.

There's simply too much information for one person to manage.

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

I was actually trying to lighten the thread a little as well.

The word "lead" was deliberately chosen so as to have several interpretations.

The funny one was in reply to the reference to dementia and putting Wanderer on a puppy lead to stop him wandering off.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

wanderer

#33 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

#34 Post by mcewanw »

tlchost wrote: I suspect we need not only a lead, but a group of folks who will work on the project.

There's simply too much information for one person to manage.
Puppy Linux is supported, via this forum, by a community, not by just a small group of interested people, so any editing of any community Puppy home page should be all-Puppy-users inclusive (unless BarryK says or has said otherwise). No one is entitled to judge another user's opinions or contributions, especially now that BarryK has basically passed the project on to the Puppy users community. Puppy remains BarryK's copyright and the main domain name belongs to BarryK. I think these issues with domain name and Puppy development management methodology needs to be clarified from BarryK in view of his announced retirement. Otherwise, it is problematic creating a new home page whilst the old domain lies dormant and potentially restrictive if one (or more) dominant group(s) assumes leadership of an open source community developed and supported product.

William
github mcewanw

tlchost

#35 Post by tlchost »

mcewanw wrote: so any editing of any community Puppy home page should be all-Puppy-users inclusive (unless BarryK says or has said otherwise).
Oh, let's see, using that logic, every user here should be able to control the forum, or every user should be able to control the IRC channel.

Makes no sense to me.
Puppy remains BarryK's copyright and the main domain name belongs to BarryK. I think these issues with domain name and Puppy development management methodology needs to be clarified from BarryK in view of his announced retirement.
Yes....so we'll just wait and see what, if anything Barry does.

Shame you did not share the wisdom early on so people could simply stop trying to do anything.