Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 23:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
MARX5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 14:54    Post subject:  Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?  

so I go to the download link --

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

look at the content on that page -- are you kidding me?

wtf am I supposed to choose and when I see the "folder" (at the various links) what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn link to puppy linux -- you click on it and it downloads?

typical of software geeks to NOT keep it simple stupid and I actually write code myself.

I don't care if you tell me HOW to install it at this point -- I'm not interested.
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 15:17    Post subject:  

Rolling Eyes Typical. It's usually the folks that claim to know something that don't really know anything.

That you're no longer interested is going to spare us all a potentially unpleasant exchange.

C'est la vie!

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 15:35    Post subject:  

I agree... thats stupidly messy for anyone new to linux.

puppy ... the beginners distro for anyone who is not a beginner Very Happy

mike
MARX5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:22    Post subject:  

afraid to admit the truth.

I program in assembly language with microcontrollers and have written windows net apps

BUT -- you can't save people time by making things easy.

that is TYPICAL of those who think that, for some reason, what they do is propietary. got it ? (let's make it troublesome to make my geek fluids flow)
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:26    Post subject:  

http://01micko.com/slacko57/download.html

Quote:
Which file to download?

In the "List of Mirrors" above choose a location that is reasonably close to your geographical location. On clicking one of those links you are presented with a number of files. Puppy is distributed in ISO image format represented by the .iso file extension. That is, it's an image of a CDROM which can be burnt to CD or DVD. There are 2 files that have that extension. Click one and your browser will offer to download. Save it to a location on your hard drive.
There are 2 other important files for new users to consider. These are the .md5.txt files which open in the browser revealing a long string of code. This is the "checksum" which is a digital signature. When you download the file and it is complete it is recommended to test the checksum. In Linux this is done by the commandline with the command md5sum.

Code:
# md5sum slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso

it returns:

Code:
9ab896cfa0d915afe7ad2f1f4c2042b2 slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso

which is exactly what the slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso.md5.txt file contains. If there is not a match you will need to redownload the iso file. Be sure you have the correct md5.txt for your particular iso file. There are 3rd party tools available for Windows that perform the same action in a GUI. I recommend WinMD5free, which is of course freeware.

I'm not in control of the main puppylinux.com download page. Barry is awol for some time now so I might ask raffy if we can host a download page on puppylinux.org with similar simple instructions - translated too.

MARX5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:26    Post subject:  

just grabbed lubuntu

a cinch
MARX5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:29    Post subject:  

01micko

I appreciate your effort but what I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to go through the trouble -- right?

of course I know I need an ISO file so how about a simple link that takes me right there without all the choices and gibberiish?
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:34    Post subject:  

MARX5 wrote:
[snip]..without all the choices and gibberiish?

You want a youtube video? (seriously). I have noticed most people avoid reading these days - at their peril.

James C

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 16:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
*NEW* Slacko Puppy (Slackware-Compatible Build)

March 9, 2014 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 5.7.

Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Let's see, click on one of the two links provided. Check.

Goes to folder at Ibiblio. A big choice of two iso files. (see screenie)

Click on desired iso and download.

Damn that's just so difficult to figure out. Laughing
ibiblio.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   55.91 KB
 Viewed   557 Time(s)

ibiblio.JPG

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 17:03    Post subject:  

You want an easy download link.
Here it is.
This is the latest version of an official Puppy.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso

Now do you know what to do with it?

The version web site is here:
http://slacko.01micko.com/index.html

Puppy is not like other operating systems, with one size fits all.
There are probably 200 plus versions you could choose to use. Each one is different in it's own way.

Puppy is developed and supported by people all over the world as a hobby not a job. They work on it when they want to and how they want to. It is not controlled by a company and people do not get paid.

The storage space, for storing and distributing Puppy software, is provided by people for free. So, you will not find one central location.

01micko

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 17:16    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Damn that's just so difficult to figure out. Laughing

Yup.

Download...

mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 17:17    Post subject:  

I'm pretty sure the original poster could have found and downloaded the proper file, being the smart guy he is... he was just looking for something to bitch about... without really making any constructive suggestions. ("Just give me a single download link" won't do, since there is more than one Puppy version.)

However, the download page is really a bit messy. It could probably include a not-too-technical explanation of the differences between the various "flavors" of Puppy (Slacko, Lucid, Precise, Wary, ...), and their hardware requirements, so that new users can decide which one suits them best. And maybe direct links to download the ISO files, for people who are allergic to folders. Very Happy And links to step-by-step walkthroughs for transforming the ISO into a working system.

That said, I doubt that people who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter and rage-quit at the smallest obstacle will have much fun with a Linux system... or with computers in general.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 23:21    Post subject:  

mostly_lurking wrote:
... It could probably include a not-too-technical explanation of the differences between the various "flavors" of Puppy (Slacko, Lucid, Precise, Wary, ...), and their hardware requirements, so that new users can decide which one suits them best.

The problem with that is, it presumes there is someone, or several people, who know the various "flavors" of Puppy well enough to say what their relative strengths and weaknesses are, never mind their hardware requirements. Even then, it would be a monumental job which would be accurate for about a day. Barry may have been the best person for that job, and even he only knew well the "official" Puppies that he created. It's similar to the blind men trying to describe an elephant. Each one can only describe the part he can feel. Nobody can see the whole thing. There really are too many Puppies that can be downloaded and no coordination between them. Rather than everyone pulling Puppy in his own direction, leaving the community in tattered fragments, wouldn't it be better if everyone concentrated on making a few really good versions of Puppy? That would make it a lot easier to deal with complainers like MARX5. Wink
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 01:19    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
I agree... thats stupidly messy for anyone new to linux.

puppy ... the beginners distro for anyone who is not a beginner Very Happy

mike

No truer words spoken. Wink Sometimes you point out what everyone knows but hopes its not real. BK did his best to baby proof his distro but running in root with a the tools to do so much novice damage was something I like about puppylinux I wish he was able to bring both aims together. If anyone could it would be BK.

Dang I miss that guy... Crying or Very sad

sorry for my emotions my father passed and this time of year I get all sentimental.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 02:49    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?  

MARX5 wrote:
...wtf am I supposed to choose and when I see the "folder" (at the various links) what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn link to puppy linux -- you click on it and it downloads?...

Good questions! Here are some more:

wtf am I supposed to choose when I enter in this PC shop, what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn shop for ONE PC -- you take it and leave?

Why do they waste my time forcing me to choose?

Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: