Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
GParted does not see 2nd SATA hard drive
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
nubc

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 05:38    Post subject:  GParted does not see 2nd SATA hard drive
Subject description: GParted: no devices detected

I am installing a second 2TB Seagate hdd in this Dell Dimension 3100 desktop, 2.8 GHz P4, 2GB ram. First I attempted to set up the additional hdd from the first 2TB Seagate hdd, which has Wary 5.2 full installed. Although a drive was reported by GParted, when this device was selected for partitioning GParted reported "no devices detected" and most functions were consequently grayed out. So I removed the original drive with Puppy installed and substituted the new drive in order to set it up with GParted from a Puppy live CD. This mostly worked, but there are some puzzling values in the end result as reported by GParted. I left 20 GB unallocated at the beginning of the drive, and 700 MB unallocated at the end of the drive, just in case I have to make this the main drive. The total size of /dev/sdx was reported as 1.82 TiB. After the ext3 partition was set up, its size was reported as 1.80 TiB, along with unallocated partition at the beginning of drive as 19.82 GiB and unallocated partition at the end of drive as 700.09 MiB. BUT, GParted reports the 1.80 TiB ext3 partition as 29.10 GiB used and 1.77 TiB unused. I mounted the drive and found a "Lost & Found" folder in the partition, but I could not account for the 29.10 GiB used. So I formatted the partition as ext3, and got the same puzzling results. What is using 29 gigs of space on this brand new hard drive, even after it has been formatted? I re-installed the two drives in the configuration I had originally intended. GParted still does not see the second 2TB drive. Any suggestions?
Last edited by nubc on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 12:16; edited 3 times in total
perdido

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 13:39    Post subject:  

First thing to answer, a 2TB drive formatting to 1.8TB is normal.
Also, some space on drive is reserved for root in case drive fills up.
In your case it looks like about 1.5% reserved for root would account for the 29GB being used.

http://www.unixresources.net/linux/lf/45/archive/00/00/12/29/122908.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100309210251AAjOXpm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next thing, drive not being recognized when attached to computer with another drive in system. Drive actually being seen but unable to partition.

To me this sounds like a hardware issue either with motherboard or the cable attached to the drives.

So far:

1. Connect drive by itself and it works.

2. Connect drive with another drive in system and has problems.

If the drives are both on same cable you can try to connect the cable to secondary HDD header (plug-in spot) on the motherboard (if it has it). If that works then primary channel has problems.

If changing position to secondary HDD header does not work and both drives are on same cable then cable may be bad. Test cable by changing position of HDD's on cable and see if problem goes to other drive.

Or if you have a different cable try that.

nubc

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 12:10    Post subject:  

After a little more troubleshooting, the problem remains as before. I can tell you what I have eliminated as the cause:
1. not the power supply SATA terminal
2. SATA-2 port is enabled in BIOS
3. not the data cable, substituted 2 cables, individually connected to new drive
4. since the new hard drive could be set up and formatted in SATA-0 position, probably not the new drive

This computer once had two SATA drives in it, a 1 TB and a 500 MB, and it worked fine.

The new drive is correctly detected in BIOS at SATA-2

Motherboard color coding: SATA-0 terminal is blue plastic, SATA-2 terminal is black plastic

Have I exceeded some legacy parameter by installing two large drives?

Last edited by nubc on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 15:04; edited 1 time in total
perdido

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 14:13    Post subject:  

There is a possibility the new drive is SATA 2 or SATA 3 and your motherboard may only be SATA 1. There is info from Seagate at the link, sorry about the disorganized way this appears but Seagate does not have a direct link, you have to follow the help menu to get the info. The link goes to the Seagate Serial ATA Troubleshooter

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/212667en?popup=true#6A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The interesting stuff from that link follows, get to it by clicking on issue #4 in the link above, then in the Prepare the Storage Drive window "click here to continue", then in the Format the Drive window "Please click here if the drive is not detected in the Disk Management application." Will get you to the following info (and more)

Code:

Motherboard Compatibility

Some older computer motherboards are unable to support modern Serial ATA drives.
If your motherboard only supports SATA1 (1.5 Gbits/sec transfer rate) and you are installing a SATA2 (3.0 Gbits/sec) or SATA3 (6.0 Gbits/sec) drive, the motherboard may not detect the drive. There are four options in that case:

Obtain an add-on controller card that can support more modern drives and connect the drive to that card.
    (For Barracuda 7200.11 drives and older, as well as certain Barracuda 7200.12 models) You can place a jumper on the drive to slow it down to 1.5 Gbits/sec, so older motherboards can support it.
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 14:32    Post subject:  

The new drive is the exact same model as the original single drive. On purpose. The hard drive is 6.0 Gbits/sec, backwards compatible to 3.0 Gbits/sec.

uh-oh, 2.1-TB limit on legacy computers using MBR, Grub
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/beyond-2tb/

Linux OS support for disk drives beyond 2.2 TB
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218575en

GPT fdisk Tutorial
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/index.html
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 16:35    Post subject:  

Options: I have two newer desktop computers that would be a possible solution, but I don't know how to install Puppy other than MBR and Grub.

1. Dell Precision 390 Core2 with 4-port SATA array onboard

2. Lenovo 3000 J series Athlon64 dual core with 2 SATA ports onboard

Seagate DiscWizard is special software for making Windows work with larger disk capacity, but when I seek assistance at Dell Support, I am certain that Linux will get a cold shoulder from techs there.

Hard to believe that no user on this site has exceeded 2 TB capacity on one machine and been obliged to work around the limitation with an older puter.

3. If I put this drive in an external case and connect it by USB, will I be able to access the extra capacity?

4. What about a PCI SATA controller card? What speed data transfer? (Guess: 3Gb/sec) Would the extra disk capacity be accessible? Would the PCI SATA controller handle both drives, or just the extra drive?

Has anyone ever used a PCI SATA controller card to exceed the 2.2 TB limit on disk capacity? Please share experience.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: