Puppy Audio Workstation!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
boohickey11

#16 Post by boohickey11 »

For my purposes, I'm mostly focused on cleaning up the sound that I record. I spent a lot of time on this first project listening and finding the feedback that was occurring and pulling the feedback out with the equalizer in Audacity.

I am wanting to look into a setup that gives me the greatest flexibility as far as undoing any changes I make. Audacity will save changes until you close the program at which time all the changes become permanent.

I'm going to look for a good real-time audio spectrum analyzer so that, while I'm recording, if the system starts getting feedback I can find the frequency easier to cut it back on the monitors.

So, my main tower PC (Windows 7) which I built for decent gaming back in 2008 just had the power supply start going belly up. I decided about six months ago that when that PC started having problems I would gut it and rebuild it into a rack mountable chassis. So, my next project will be to do that and start building an audio rack. I'll probably dual boot Windows and some dedicated Linux DAW.

boohickey11

#17 Post by boohickey11 »

Also, I've finished my first project and given the CD to my client. Now I'm finding out the joys of CD-R. I knew there may be problems with CD-Rs not working for people but I didn't expect it to be the first client. The last few songs played with digital noise in his car CD player but ripping the audio from my CD-R wasn't a problem and had no noise.

A great article to read on the subject (although it is a bit heavy) is here:
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/ ... oblem.html

Basically, I need to find better CD-Rs and find out the best speed to burn. It turns out that it will depend on the burner as which speed to use. Generally slower is better but 1X and 2X have also caused problems from what research I've read.

I guess I'll need to try to find a finicky CD player as a test unit.

Mostly, I think this is only an actual problem when playing CD-Rs. My CD-Rs are not really for listening directly but more a delivery system for the 16Bit/44.1K audio.
Last edited by boohickey11 on Wed 30 Jul 2014, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

boohickey11

#18 Post by boohickey11 »

darkcity

#19 Post by darkcity »

CDs and DVDs can been a pain for sure. Not surprising there isn't much love for the format.

CD in Audio format are particularly tricky - as the format doesn't appear to be designed for data fidelity. Depending on the clients needs, maybe supply on CD in Data format.

Smithy

#20 Post by Smithy »

boohickey11 wrote: I spent a lot of time on this first project listening and finding the feedback that was occurring and pulling the feedback out with the equalizer in Audacity.

I'm going to look for a good real-time audio spectrum analyzer so that, while I'm recording, if the system starts getting feedback I can find the frequency easier to cut it back on the monitors.
Hi Boohickey, just wondering, would it not be best to find the reason for feedback occurring before recording? Are you using headphones to monitor or some kind of monitoring speakers?

Out of interest what (pair of?) mics are you using?

There are some realtime linux speccy analysers, that maybe you would have to feed from an aux bus, guess it might be best to find one as a plugin to a daw though for less cabling and complexity in tight situations!

Good to hear your approaches and good luck with your gigs.

boohickey11

#21 Post by boohickey11 »

Obviously it's best to avoid feedback but it's still primarily a live show. When it's time to start... it's time to start. We would have needed more time to take care of the problem. Plus, the feedback didn't start until a couple songs into the show.

The band did not use my microphones. I believe they were mostly using Shure SM58s. My mics are a Behringer B-2, which being a condenser I would only use for recording ambient noise without feeding into the sound system, and a Heil PR-22. I only plan on using my microphones when it is beneficial to the recording, otherwise it's best to let the band use the gear they are used to. I do plan on acquiring equipment as needed, filling up the biggest needs first.

I think for a lot of bands, feedback is one of those things that, "just happens". They experience it so much that they forget that it can be avoided with proper technique and experience.

This big kick in the pants was just time. I need much more time than I gave myself to set up. I won't make that mistake again.

Smithy

#22 Post by Smithy »

Ah, right, got ya.

Wasn't sure if you were capturing a live performance via stereo or more of your own mics, not an easy task.

Don't know if you know of taperssection.com, quite a good forum there if you
need more options before plunging into the bottomless pit of buying gear!

boohickey11

#23 Post by boohickey11 »

Today, I am attempting to install the jaaa spectrum analyzer. First I have to install library files and headers. I got one installed but I got errors with the others. I had installed lupu_devx_525 but I get a make error so I'm trying devx_slacko_5.7.

I'll post a little more detail later.

boohickey11

#24 Post by boohickey11 »

So, to install JAAA I first need to have a few libraries.

libzita-alsa-pcmi.0.2.0
libclthreads.so.2.4.0
libclxclient.so.3.9.0

I have downloaded them. libclthreads installed with no problem but when I try to install libzita I get this error:

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.4.3/cc1plus: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make: *** [xdisplay.o] Error 1
sh-4.1#

I'm not sure what to make of this.