How to define button areas for my ClickPad?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
T_C

How to define button areas for my ClickPad?

#1 Post by T_C »

I just want to be able to right-click on things. I see that this problem has been solved for someone else here, but I'm a complete beginner and don't know how to do any of those things. The post is also a year old, so I don't know if the answer will be different either.

My keyboard has a ClickPad, which means it has only one physical button (the touchpad itself). Basically, all I can do is move the mouse around and "left"-click on things.

I'm using Slacko 5.7 installed as a bootable USB.

I don't care too much about the other touchpad features like scrolling, I really just need somebody to walk me through the process of getting my right clicks working asap since a lot of activities become really quite cumbersome without that functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

T_C, Welcome!

That you were able to find that thread suggests you're not as green as you think.

Have you tried any of the cmds presented by NPierce?

Maybe start with:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/input/devices
Can you copy'n paste from the Urxvt terminal?

This would be easier from a text file, correct?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cimarron

#3 Post by cimarron »

Have you tried the "Mouse/Keyboard Wizard"? I think it would be in the "Setup" menu. Then select "Touchpad" to configure its settings.

If you can't find that, typing "flsynclient" in the terminal should give you the touchpad configuration directly.

Look under the "Tapping" tab. That allows you to configure the touchpad to give a right click a number of ways, with a two finger tap, for instance, or a tap to the lower right corner of the pad, etc. If taps don't work at all, try increasing "tap time."

T_C

#4 Post by T_C »

Well, I may still be more green than you think, Semme. To be honest, I don't even know what an xorg config file is or where to find it - just that's it's a configuration file that I have to edit. After I do that, I need to "restart the X server", and I'm not really sure what that is either. I entered the cmd that you gave me, and found the touchpad listed, but I'm not sure what to make of the data it spits out at me...

cimarron, I did as you said, and it was somewhat helpful since I can now bring up the right click menu by tapping. However, whatever I choose for the first setting (non-corner taps) determines what ALL of my taps will do regardless of how I configure any of the other settings. I have left corner taps set to left click, for instance, and right corner taps set to right click, but ALL taps do only what I set the non-corner taps to do. If I disable non-corner taps, no taps work. The current setup isn't terrible, but it's certainly not ideal.