Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 27 May 2017, 00:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users
Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:45    Post subject: Light =Firefox light  

Hi All,

Just wanted to alert you to Geoffrey's discovery, a lean version of firefox. Some discussion starts here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=939691#939691

Googling lead me here for the 64-bit rpm, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/, and here for the 32-bit rpm, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/files/47/201606092049_gcc232/. Do your own search for latest publications. Menu>Utilities>UExtract will decompress the rpms providing you with a folder you can move anywhere and rename (as in remove version number etc).

Haven't played much, but it appears that light can use some of firefox's addons, and has a couple of its own.

To open the 64bit version, browse to [light-folder]/usr/local/lib/light/ and click one of the binaries named light and light-bin. I'm not sure what the difference between those are.

The attached pet for light(64-bit) will create a menu entry. It calls the binary simply named light. But you'll have to edit the bash script at /root/my-applications/bin so that the path actually points to where ever your light bin file is located.

I thought the icon for light was too non-descript; so stole another.

Edit: I've tried the 32-bit version in 32-bit Tahrpups, Xenialpups and Carolina Vanguard. Worked fine for the former two. Would not open in Carolina, reporting that a libatomic.so.1 was not found. I found an rpm which had it and packaged it as a pet. Installed into Vanguard fixed the problem. I'm posting from it/them, now. I really like this browser. I've attached the pet.

As you may know, Carolina Vanguard was battleshooter's remaster that included newer graphics libraries. Carolina, itself, was based on Saluki, which was a remaster of Racy; and Racy was Barry K's Puppy, companion to Wary, the two differing primarily in the kernel employed. Whether Light (with or without) the missing pet will function on any of Vanguard's forebears is unknown. Worth a trial-run, however.

Further discussion here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=939728#939728

mikesLr
lib4Light4Carolina.pet
Description  lib required to run Light(firefox) under Carolina Vanguard
pet

Download 
Filename  lib4Light4Carolina.pet 
Filesize  8.65 KB 
Downloaded  34 Time(s) 
light64_external.pet
Description  Creates Menu listing for 64-bit Light Webbrowser. But see paragraph about where you've located the light folder
pet

Download 
Filename  light64_external.pet 
Filesize  28.83 KB 
Downloaded  39 Time(s) 

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 19:47; edited 3 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 04:10    Post subject: 32bits version tested with Pupjibaro Jessie Synaptic..  

32bits version tested with Pupjibaro Jessie Synaptic.. No trouble with it. To keep for rescue for Puppies delivered without a browser or with elinks, for instance.
See Musher0 topic about it. Light 49 test by josejp2424, the Pupjibaro Jessie developer feed back.

Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar 2017, 05:24    Post subject: Lib atomic, that is what i am looking for...  

Lib atomic, that is what i am looking for...
Version GTK2 32 bits should be worth a try in Slim X-slacko by mistfire.
I am also curious to try rpm packages. No dev thought about a Puppy Fedora ? another way to go the same place..

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar 2017, 18:38    Post subject:  

Hi, Pelo.

If you need libatomic, you can find it here, at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dqjez1q1144adad/libatomic-so.1.pet

Hope that helps!

Mike. Wink

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:32    Post subject: lib atomic  

Mike Walsh i will try with your pet ! Merci
Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: