Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Could slimjet be added to the list? It's really good.

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Is SlimBoat and SlimJet the same browser? See opening post.

If someone will post a location or a post of steps for FF Nightly, it will be added to the opening post for users to see.

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Firefox Nightly: https://nightly.mozilla.org/

I believe Slimboat and Slimjet are made by the same people and Slimjet is the newer version.

Hi BK Johnson:

I put the daily to run in the /opt directory. Maybe you don't have the urxvt terminal installed? Not sure why it wouldn't work. The differences in the Quirky directory structure could have been an issue, too. The desktop icon simply goes to /opt/firefox/firefox to execute. I just renamed firefox to firefoxN to distinguish between the already installed "normal" firefox and the Nightly.

Strangely, the nightly seems to run better than the normal Firefox in Quirky Xerus. Not sure why but I won't complain....

Slavvo67

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:Is SlimBoat and SlimJet the same browser? .
No, they are different browsers. Slimjet seems much faster than other browsers to me. Check for various versions within this thread here
Slimjet browser ..... is from the same company (FlashPeak) which made the SlimBoat browser. To clarify the difference, SlimBoat is based on the community-maintained webkit while Slimjet is based on Google's blink engine. As a matter of fact, most browser vendors have chosen to go with Blink and I guess FlashPeak has decided to follow the suit.
Also, Mike Walsh has a 64bit thread here

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, greengeek.

You're quite right. SlimJet is Chromium-based (using the 'Blink' engine, as do many others these days; SlimBoat used the old QtWebkit engine, which is no longer maintained), but FlashPeak have paid special attention to privacy and ad-blocking, as well as to CPU and memory usage.....which are something like 25-30% down on normal Chromium.

In all other respects, it's just like using Chrome itself; it'll work with all your bookmarks and extensions, just by signing into your Google account as usual.

I've been a Chrome user since it was in beta (years ago!), but since discovering SlimJet, it's all but taken over from Chrome for me, it's that good. But you still need Chrome, or a fairly recent Chromium, hanging around if you want to watch NetFlix, I'm afraid. The methods we tried a while back for getting NetFlix to run in other browsers, although they worked in Chromium itself from version 49 onwards, won't work in SlimJet yet. FlashPeak haven't coded in the necessary support requirements for it to run under h.264, it seems.

That aside, I would recommend it to anyone. The only visual difference is in the tabs; they're more reminiscent of pre-Australis FireFox.....squared, rather than sloped. But don't let that put you off what is a brilliant browser..!

@gcmartin:-

I agree with greengeek. I think it's reached the stage where SlimJet should be added to the list; the more so, since it's now available to Puppians in both 32- and 64-bit packages.

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

Firefox, old version (17)

#21 Post by Pelo »

'Slim' Puppy builders could think Midori is a good choice.
I use it when installed as default, but soon i must add a new one, to surf on usual sites as You Tube.
So in my opinion puppy builders should provide Puppies with Firefox, old version (17), which can be updated if needed.
Just an opinion.

Pelo

Ah perhaps Midori 0.5.8 will change my opinion,

#22 Post by Pelo »

Ah perhaps Midori 0.5.8 will change my opinion, see the topic midori 0.5.8
Midori would be perfect in X-Slim Slacko

Pelo

What about Midori 0.5.8 ? Mistfire did the clever choice

#23 Post by Pelo »

What about Midori 0.5.8 ? Mistfire did the clever choice, for its X-Slacko, this browser is Slim, but efficient, as efficient as the last Firefox, and more then the last Pale Moon.

technosaurus

#24 Post by technosaurus »

Prince XML
I don't think we can package it directly due to licensing, but may be able to do a download script for it. It seems to be pretty good (closer to firefox/chrome/webkit than netsurf, links or dillo) for its size.

Version 10 has a lot of improvements and supports many different linux distros, but no static version. Here are its release notes.

Version 9 is the last one to have a static linux build (~5Mb tarball). Here are its release notes

Release notes for earlier versions are still available here

However the best part is that it is scriptable and can generate a pdf to be printed via cups or viewed in a lightweight pdf viewer
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

pupfan

Opera browser

#25 Post by pupfan »

I have been a user since 2.16. User is the key word, I am not a geek, I like Opera mainly for the slider in the lower right hand corner, which is very nice for old people like me. Please do not drop it as a choice, at least until another browser has the slider on the desktop.
My thanks to Barry and all of you who keep it going.

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi browser has the zoom slider in the bottom right corner. It is based on a recent Chromium with lots of enhancements and it can be made to run on slightly less-recent 32bit Puppies such as Precise. I am no expert, but having played around with a number of browsers I get the feeling that the developers of Vivaldi know what they are doing. Everything seems to display properly and work as expected.
http://vivaldi.com
Puppy packages here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK
Oscar in England

vovchik

#27 Post by vovchik »

Dear all,

These are not really full-scale browsers, but they can view pages and provide some elementary navigation via right-click. You will need gtkwebkit installed for my mini browser and for the yad version.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. The binary minibrowser is Tahr 32-bit.
Attachments
puppy-forum-browser.tar.gz
(10.58 KiB) Downloaded 695 times

rodocop

#28 Post by rodocop »

Found that windows-only K-Meleon browser works fine under Wine.

And it still uses much less RAM that Firefox, Chrome etc.

One issue is that you need to install some XP-themes in Aero style to get K-Meleon looking good.

mikeslr

I returned to Opera -- but new version

#29 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

For a long time Opera 12.16 was my default browser. But by last year too many websites couldn't be properly displayed while using it. So I replaced it with Slimjet. Occasionally, however, slimjet wouldn't terminate properly requiring that I restart-x, or even reboot. So I tried Vivaldi for a while but ran into the same, occasional, faulty shut-down problem. Vivaldi is a fork of the new Opera. Unlike the old opera, the new opera, slimjet and vivaldi are built on the same Blink engine used in Chrome/Chromium. Consequently, many of the Addons created for Chrome can be installed into them via their extension managers. These may not be the ones you are familiar with if you've run Firefox, Palemoon or Seamonkey. But some addon to accomplish what I want is available and adequately does the desired job.

As I try out various Puppies, I prefer one application I can use for each: takes up less drive-space if, rather than installing the application, it is unpacked on /mnt/home and symlinked into each Puppy. See here for instructions: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66237. So, once again I've tried Opera, albeit the new version by downloading the tar.bz2 package, decompressing it, and moving the resulting folder to /mnt/home. You can obtain 64-bit versions here, http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os ... 69&local=y and 32-bit versions here, http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os ... 6&list=all.

Like the old Opera, the unpacked new version can be run from anywhere. I placed them in /mnt/home. But you may prefer to place them in /opt, especially if you run you're Puppy from other than a Linux formatted partition.

Opera's old version was "self-contained": that is its cache and config files were written to its folder. The new versions aren't. Those files/folders will be created/hidden in /root of your Puppy. But now that I'm using SaveFolders rather than SaveFiles I don't worry as much about filling up "Puppy Space". I just try to remember to clear "cache", history, etc. often. By default, Opera provides "Clear Browsing data" from "More Tools" on its Menu. But you can add an extension to do that via an icon on its toolbar. And while the new version doesn't have a nice zoom slider at the bottom of its window, there's another extension you can add to quickly zoom.

Both versions run as /root without having to jump thru hoops. Like Slimjet, the new Opera advertises its Safe-Browsing features. IMHO, Opera still provides the easiest-to-configure Speed-dial. It also appears to load web-pages faster than any other browser I've tried. And I haven't had a problem of it not shutting down cleanly.

For your convenience I've attached a pet which will create a menu entry for your "external" Opera, and also make it easier to add such Opera to taskbars and launchers and, if you want, make such Opera your default browser via Setup>Default Applications chooser.

To reduce clutter on /mnt/home, I keep all the folders of external applications within a folder named Pup-Apps. The bash script file which the pet will install at /usr/local/bin reads, Code:

exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/opera64-36/opera64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/opera "$@"

absent the above red coloring. That's the part you'd have to edit so that it will point to where ever you've located your opera folder.

Sorry, I don't have a 32-bit version at this time. But if you deconstruct the pet, you'll see how it was built. It only has two files in addition to the bash-script: an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/ and a file used to create the menu entry, namely, /usr/share/applications/opera64.desktop.

Edit 12/4/16: Have been exploring the 32bit version of Xenialpup. So I built a pet to add the 32-bit opera to its menu and have attached it for your convenience. As above, you will probably have to edit red-colored section of the bash script @ /usr/local/bin to point to where you've located the opera folder. It currently reads:

exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/opera32/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/opera/opera "$@"

mikesLr
Attachments
opera32_external.pet
Pet for 32 Bit opera which creates Menu listing and adding launchers easier
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
opera64_external-64.36.pet
64 Bit Pet Creates Menu listing and makes adding to launchers easier
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

gjuhasz

Why to prefer the official packages

#30 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,
technosaurus wrote: I don't think we can package it directly due to licensing
I fully agree. Although the cited post is related to Prince XML, it is recommended to keep the licensing constraints in our mind in case of the rest.

Some of the free browsers have built-in advertisements or bookmarks pointing to suppliers' sites (see the Speed-Dial feature of Opera, for example) that provide the developers with a minimal budget to work. I feel that I am not authorized to remove any piece of their original package then re-publish it as a simplified or "unblinged" .pet or .sfs version. (I don't say that I never did this accidentally. I don't say that any of you do this, I never checked.)

It is better to get the original package then pre-process it by an adaptation script if necessary. Changing the default settings and saving the tailored one should be a 2-minutes task of the user without the risk of licensing breach.

In Puli, I prefer using the official packages for the supported browsers then, after some pre-processing, run them as spot.

Of course, the official packages may not be 100% compatible with one or more of our puplets. In this case, repackaging or re-compiling is acceptable. However, before publishing, we should consider supporting the developers by leaving their business related settings intact.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

mikeslr

Light =Firefox light

#31 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just wanted to alert you to Geoffrey's discovery, a lean version of firefox. Some discussion starts here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 691#939691

Googling lead me here for the 64-bit rpm, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/, and here for the 32-bit rpm, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightf ... 49_gcc232/. Do your own search for latest publications. Menu>Utilities>UExtract will decompress the rpms providing you with a folder you can move anywhere and rename (as in remove version number etc).

Haven't played much, but it appears that light can use some of firefox's addons, and has a couple of its own.

To open the 64bit version, browse to [light-folder]/usr/local/lib/light/ and click one of the binaries named light and light-bin. I'm not sure what the difference between those are.

The attached pet for light(64-bit) will create a menu entry. It calls the binary simply named light. But you'll have to edit the bash script at /root/my-applications/bin so that the path actually points to where ever your light bin file is located.

I thought the icon for light was too non-descript; so stole another.

Edit: I've tried the 32-bit version in 32-bit Tahrpups, Xenialpups and Carolina Vanguard. Worked fine for the former two. Would not open in Carolina, reporting that a libatomic.so.1 was not found. I found an rpm which had it and packaged it as a pet. Installed into Vanguard fixed the problem. I'm posting from it/them, now. I really like this browser. I've attached the pet.

As you may know, Carolina Vanguard was battleshooter's remaster that included newer graphics libraries. Carolina, itself, was based on Saluki, which was a remaster of Racy; and Racy was Barry K's Puppy, companion to Wary, the two differing primarily in the kernel employed. Whether Light (with or without) the missing pet will function on any of Vanguard's forebears is unknown. Worth a trial-run, however.

Further discussion here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 728#939728

mikesLr
Attachments
lib4Light4Carolina.pet
lib required to run Light(firefox) under Carolina Vanguard
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 893 times
light64_external.pet
Creates Menu listing for 64-bit Light Webbrowser. But see paragraph about where you've located the light folder
(28.83 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 23:47, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

32bits version tested with Pupjibaro Jessie Synaptic..

#32 Post by Pelo »

32bits version tested with Pupjibaro Jessie Synaptic.. No trouble with it. To keep for rescue for Puppies delivered without a browser or with elinks, for instance.
See Musher0 topic about it. Light 49 test by josejp2424, the Pupjibaro Jessie developer feed back.

Pelo

Lib atomic, that is what i am looking for...

#33 Post by Pelo »

Lib atomic, that is what i am looking for...
Version GTK2 32 bits should be worth a try in Slim X-slacko by mistfire.
I am also curious to try rpm packages. No dev thought about a Puppy Fedora ? another way to go the same place..

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Pelo.

If you need libatomic, you can find it here, at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dqjez1q11 ... c-so.1.pet

Hope that helps!

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

lib atomic

#35 Post by Pelo »

Mike Walsh i will try with your pet ! Merci