Secure Email

For discussions about security.
seadog

Secure Email

#1 Post by seadog »

If you don't want any personal details being given to 'interested parties', then try 'bitmessage.ch'.
You can acess this with Tor or a re-configured Seamonkey.
I use this for all my email, thus no need for gmail and the like.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It's worth noting that the NSA, CIA, etc. aren't breaking any U.S. laws by reading email that's stored in a server outside the U.S..

The only way to be sure that no one but the recipient can read your email is to encrypt it before you send it. Of course, even the recipient can't read an encrypted message if he's lost the key. :lol: Plus, encrypting your email could be a red flag singling you out for special attention by institutions looking to justify their existence and increase their budget. :shock:

See also: PayPal freezes out ProtonMail, asks if startup has 'government permission' to encrypt email

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

Flash wrote:.. encrypting your email could be a red flag singling you out for special attention by institutions looking to justify their existence and increase their budget. :shock:
*cough* disguise the encrypted version with steganography

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

Barkin:

I was just reading about that a month or so ago. Interesting concept. Are there any tools you can share on this?

Best,

Slavvo67

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

slavvo67 wrote:...Are there any tools you can share on this?
There is a wikipedia page ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography_tools

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

I think this is probably an example of the sharp end of "operation chokepoint" which seems to be the current method of choice for controlling public activities where military options are not possible.

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

"Proton Mail" seems to have a reputation as being the most secure email provider - if you can actually get an account...