PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager

Marv

#226 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:PWF v4.3 adds a new "quick-connect" function to the Profile page.

Some wireless access points, like WiFi-Direct printers, have the annoying habit of changing their SSID, forcing you to make a new profile with each change. Now you can join the AP just by clicking the Connect button and entering the WPA2 passphrase.

You can also use this feature for a one-time connection to a secure network.
Got it! Downloaded and installed on my newest, a core i5-2520M with an Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter using the ath9k driver. Running LxPupSc 17.07.23 for now. No hitches, no glitches. Took it down to the bike commons to check the new 'quick connect with password, no profile' feature and it works perfectly. The last of my Pentium M stable of laptops have retired and I'm vetting three new to me Fujitsus, two i5 based and one core 2 duo convertible tablet. PWF for all!

Thank you,

Edited: LxPupSc version number corrected
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rerwin

#227 Post by rerwin »

rcrsn51,
Although I have not been following this thread about PeasyWiFi, I looked more closely on 8/27 and am impressed by what you have done. I note that you have been keeping up with the changes I have made to the networking wizard and its friends.

I think the connectwizard components need to accommodate PeasyWiFi, so have updated the 8/27 release (20170727) to add some compatibility, announced here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 134#962134
The significant change, for PeasyWiFi, is that the /etc/rc.d/rc.network script is now associated only with the network wizard. So, the network_default_connect script can start the rc.network.pwf script wherever it resides.

If PeasyWiFi is installed and has a profile defined, network_default_connect (in 20170729) now looks for "rc.network" in /usr/local/peasywifi, in case you decide to move it there. If not there, a link will be placed there pointing to /etc/rc.d/rc.network.pwf, during boot-up.

Since PWF 4.3 does not contain the call to identify itself to connectwizard, it should be installed before any other network manager is used or set as default. PeasyWiFi can be set as the default manager, but need not be.

PeasyWiFi can benefit from the recent network_connect improvements if a few simple but tedious changes are made to it. I am willing to make those changes, with your permission. The changes I propose are:
  • - Add PeasyWiFi identification to connectwizard, which will then stop any other running network manager and its connection.

Code: Select all

which connectwizard_exec &>/dev/null && connectwizard_exec peasywifi
    - Make the gtkdialog dialog names unique to PeasyWiFi by changing "DIALOG" to "PEASYWIFI_DIALOG", so they can be found and killed when another network manager starts.
    - Make the Xdialog processes include '--wmclass "peasywifi"', so they can be found and killed when another network manager starts. That also specifies an icon to be used for the Xdialog window; I suggest adding a link, /usr/share/pixmaps/peasywifi.png, pointing to peasywifi-48.png (or -24 if necessary).
    - Consider adding code to rc.network.pwf to support disconnecting a connection, to cleanly shut down a connection the "PeasyWiFi way." That would allow disconnection from the networking tray icon, as well as for switching away from using PeasyWiFi.
If you need anything further from me, to integrate PeasyWiFi into the mainstream, please tell me. I am open to adding PeasyWiFi as a choice in the connectwizard networking dialog, if and whenever you are ready for that.
Richard

rcrsn51

#228 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF's most recent post-install script registers itself in /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect and deletes /root/.connectwizardrc.

So in network_default_connect, the value of CURRENT_EXEC and NETCHOICE should be "peasywifi".

PWF puts its rc.network in /etc/rc.d - moving it elsewhere would be problematic in several ways. So line 58 could just be

peasywifi) /etc/rc.d/rc.network & ;;
This setup should maintain backwards compatibility.

BTW, I don't understand the role of lines 26-43. Also, why is frisbee not included in the final case structure?

rerwin

Integrating PeasyWiFi into Puppy

#229 Post by rerwin »

rcrsn51,
Thanks for getting back to me about this.
rcrsn51 wrote:PWF's most recent post-install script registers itself in /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect and deletes /root/.connectwizardrc.
The new "network connect" version submitted to woofCE and posted elsewhere uses the defaultconnect value only as a last resort. The current manager name is kept in .connectwizardrc, independent of the default. So, deleting it defeats the purpose of the effort to keep managers from inadvertently interfering with each other. Now, SNS, netwiz and frisbee use the "_exec" service to identify themselves as current and ensure that the previously running manager is cleaned up after, in case it has dialog windows displaying.
So in network_default_connect, the value of CURRENT_EXEC and NETCHOICE should be "peasywifi".
That is what I am using.
PWF puts its rc.network in /etc/rc.d - moving it elsewhere would be problematic in several ways. So line 58 could just be

peasywifi) /etc/rc.d/rc.network & ;;
This setup should maintain backwards compatibility.
This is where PWF violates the practice of keeping program names (or their path names) unique, so that an unfamiliar troubleshooter can know what programs are running and where to find them. Script /etc/rc.d/rc.network is part of the Network Wizard, but has been used in Puppy even without a connection having been defined through net-setup.sh. Now, Barry has replaced that "outside" use of rc.network with the simpler rc.network_eth. With netwiz now in its own package, it can be omitted altogether from a distro. That would impact PWF, which should be independent of other managers. Ideally, and consistent with the other managers, netwiz should reside in /usr/local/network_wizard -- and I am not ruling out doing that.

Other than requiring some straightforward coding changes, how is it problematic to make it both forward and backward compatible? PWF can use the presence of connectwizard_exec as the indicator of the operating environment. Instead of replacing rc.network with the .pwf file, simply replace it with a link to the rc.network(.pwf) script in PWF's directory. But you wouldn't need to do any of that if "_exec" is present.
BTW, I don't understand the role of lines 26-43.
That case structure handles the case when no default manager has been set, making a best guess given what it finds in the way of connections but using frisbee only if it is "active".
Also, why is frisbee not included in the final case structure?
It is handled by the "*)" case, because its /etc/init.d script detects whether it is active (the current manager) and initializes if it is.

I hope this "eases your mind" about integrating PWF into Puppy, in a backward compatible way.
Richard

jd7654

#230 Post by jd7654 »

Haven't used PeasyWifi before, only now saw its use in DebLive-Stretch from Fred's mklive-stretch builder.

The connection seems simple and works, but does not survive a reboot and come up working.
Where is it supposed to store config, and does that work in Debian Dog and the DebLive-Stretch?

rcrsn51

#231 Post by rcrsn51 »

jd7654 wrote:The connection seems simple and works, but does not survive a reboot and come up working.
Details please.
Where is it supposed to store config, and does that work in Debian Dog and the DebLive-Stretch?
Did you make a connection profile under the Profiles tab? Did you try clicking the Check button? At the next session, did your profile appear in the Profiles drop-down list in the main screen?

The version of PWF in Stretch needs some symlinks:

ln -sf /usr/bin/leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
ln -sf /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/rox
ln -sf /path/to/your/browser /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

jd7654

#232 Post by jd7654 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Details please.

Did you make a connection profile under the Profiles tab? Did you try clicking the Check button? At the next session, did your profile appear in the Profiles drop-down list in the main screen?

The version of PWF in Stretch needs some symlinks:

ln -sf /usr/bin/leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
ln -sf /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/rox
ln -sf /path/to/your/browser /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
I initially clicked config and it did nothing, the symlinks fixed that.
Tried connecting from Profile/Scan/Connect and that worked, but that doesn't populate config..
Made a profile but didn't work, but that was my error as I had WPA instead of WPA2 selected.

So I can use the saved config now and I see it in /etc/pwf/wifi, but can connection come up active automatically on boot like in Puppy sns, or have to launch pwf and connect each time?

rcrsn51

#233 Post by rcrsn51 »

jd7654 wrote:but can connection come up active automatically on boot like in Puppy sns,
Look under the Auto tab.

jd7654

#234 Post by jd7654 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:but can connection come up active automatically on boot like in Puppy sns,
Look under the Auto tab.
Auto worked, thanks. <slapping forehead>

OscarTalks

#235 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks for PeasyWiFi.
Version 4.5 is working well for me.
This is my experimental Stretch Pup remaster based on the billtoo version.
Installed (frugal) in an old Dell Optiplex SFF with Edimax WiFi adapter which uses rt2800usb module.

The other network tools (SNS and DougalWiz) were proving unreliable, especially after reboot. Gave PeasyWiFi a try including the Auto feature and results have been flawless so far. I've been able to switch to VPN and back to my own normal IP. The tray icon changes (and changes back again) when I do this.

Earlier Puppies such as Wheezy and Slacko 5.7 are OK on this same hardware using the standard network tools, so not sure what has changed in Stretch. Anyway, PWF offers a solution.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#236 Post by greengeek »

rerwin wrote:As part of the integration, I provide away to disable frisbee nondestructively. You may note that other network managers accessed via the connect wizard have no interference from frisbee. That is because the wizard issues the command:
frisbee_mode_disable
whenever the other network managers are started.
Hi Rerwin, can you elucidate what this command actually does please? Does it have anything to do with /etc/init.d/frisbee.conf which is mentioned in line 3 of /etc/init.d/frisbee?

What is the best way for me to know if my current setup relies on frisbee or not? Any suggestions appreciated.
cheers!

(ps: I use a Slacko 5.6 derivative configured without savefile so my network connection process may not be the same as others who have gone through the process of creating a savefile. Since swapping to my current laptop/modem combination I have only needed to use SNS but would really like to investigate the degree to which frisbee may still be part of my system - I am unsure if it is a standard part of network connection within Slacko 5.6 or if it just sits there idle and does nothing).
If I ever have any network issues I will be trialling later versions of PWF - but there is no point unless I know whether or not my system currently uses Frisbee without my knowledge.

rcrsn51

#237 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is the wrong place to ask for help with Frisbee.

belham2

#238 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This is the wrong place to ask for help with Frisbee.

Hi rcrsn51,

Question: A week back, I had finally learned (with the laptops in my house) that I needed to use SNS only if we wanted the laptop(s) wifi connection connected at bootup without us lifting a finger.

My question is this: Can I remove all three----SNS, Frisbee, and Dougal's 'Network Wizard'--if I install PeasyWiFi in them and find it works the best in this regard (connecting the saved wifi profile at boot without anyone doing anything)??

Or does PeasyWifi require me to keep one of the pup connections methods that come standard in pups?

Thanks

rcrsn51

#239 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you tried PWF yet? I cannot predict how it will work on every possible platform.

The whole point of PWF is to be a separate connection manager from the standard Puppy tools. It does not share any code with them. At install time, you have the option to disable them so they won't interfere with PWF.

rcrsn51

#240 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply?

rcrsn51

#241 Post by rcrsn51 »

Interesting security article here. Users of PWF can implement this as follows:

1. Create the file: /etc/resolv.conf.head (make sure that you spell it correctly!)

2. Add the line: nameserver 9.9.9.9

soniabu

PWF and DNScrypt

#242 Post by soniabu »

hello rcrsn51 are sonia, this thread was reported to me by matchpoint.
I would like to use on my xenialpup64 7.5 installed (USB stick) the PWF combined with the DNScrypt.
Everything should be connected via Ethernet.
Also I would like to use the primary and secondary DNS provided
from the Opennic Project.
In short words:
use DNScrypt with primary and secondary DNS specified by me.
Do you have any experience or suggestion of how I have to insert primary and secondary DNS?
P.S.
I read on page 15 this

" PWF uses udhcpc to acquire an IP address and DNS server from your ISP. But in rare cases, you may want to choose a different DNS server, like Google's 8.8.8.8.
1. Go to /etc and create a file named resolv.conf.head as follows:
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
2. Reboot and connect.
3. Check the file /etc/resolv.conf
4. To restore your ISP's choice of DNS server, just delete the file /etc/resolv.conf.head"

So I gather that if I want to address primary and secondary DNS taken from OpenNic I'll have to create a resolv.conf.head, right?
thanks sonia
Last edited by soniabu on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#243 Post by rcrsn51 »

Yes, that's what it means.

soniabu

#244 Post by soniabu »

thx rcrsn51,

last question:
have you had experience with DNScrypt?
I have not trouble entering PWIFE the dnserver 127.0.0.2.
however I can not understand if this is a correct DNScrypt address in Xenialpup, because when I insert it and try to reach a website with palemoon
the browser stays in search without answering anything.
thx again
sonia

rcrsn51

#245 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have no experience with DNScrypt.

In the other thread, labbe5 needs to confirm that he actually got this to run on a Puppy.