PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager

rcrsn51

#211 Post by rcrsn51 »

@zygo: No reply? Too bad. This could have been useful information for other community members.

I don't know much about 3g dongles, but I thought that they presented themselves as tty devices, so you had to use modem software.

Is this device presenting itself as an ethernet adapter named usb0? Does it show up in "ifconfig -a"? In that case, open the file /etc/pwf/interaces and change "eth0" to "usb0".

Run PWF. Under the Ethernet tab, configure this usb0 interface. Then do a Reconnect. This assumes that you have configured PWF as your primary network manager.

zygo

#212 Post by zygo »

rcrsn51,

Firstly, I read on another post of some years past that one could make the change to /etc/pwf/interaces that you suggest and it would work but it doesn't. Secondly, this was with PeasyWifi either v3.4 or v3.6 whichever I thought was current at the time of the post.

Your first reply was very effective. When the I/F button returned a window with no list it prompted me to copy the newest SNS files I had to hand (from Barry's quiky-xerus-pi) to the Raspbery Pi. That worked but with a few errors on the command line ad GUI.

I've had a few 3g dongles but this latest one (or 2) presents itself as an ethernet adapter named usb0. In FatDogArm it shows up in "ifconfig" but only after I use the "up" option of ifconfig. It is listed as "wired" in SNS even though it's 3g.

I hope to try your latest PeasyWifi in FatDogArm on the RaspPi soon. Just to be clear, where should I enter "usb0" in /etc/pwf/interaces? The line

Code: Select all

ETH1="eth1"
should become what?

Thanks PeasyWifi has saved my bacon, on WiFi, in the past.

rcrsn51

#213 Post by rcrsn51 »

zygo wrote: In FatDogArm it shows up in "ifconfig" but only after I use the "up" option of ifconfig. It is listed as "wired" in SNS even though it's 3g.
That's why I suggested the command "ifconfig -a". It will show all interfaces, whether they are up or not.
When the I/F button returned a window with no list it prompted me to copy the newest SNS files I had to hand (from Barry's quiky-xerus-pi) to the Raspbery Pi. That worked but with a few errors on the command line ad GUI.
That was bad advice. Your dongle is not a WiFi adapter, so it won't show under the main I/F button.

Instead, open the file /etc/pwf/interfaces and change:

ETH1="usb0"
There are several more steps.

1. Restart PWF and open the Ethernet section.
2. Select the new usb0 interface for DHCP and click Configure.
3. Select your current eth0 interface and configure it as Disabled.
4. Click Check. You should see a dummy file named "usb0.dhcp".
5. Click Reconnect.

Be aware that if you are already using SNS as the default connection manager, you may have trouble switching to PWF. There are instructions on the main post for doing this.

I have high confidence that this procedure will work in Puppy, but I cannot comment on the non-Puppy platforms you are using.

----------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 03:16, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

I jump to 4.1

#214 Post by Pelo »

peasy Wifi 2.8 was my version until now.. I jump to 4.1 . For keeping connected longer.. Good work again rcrsn51 :)
Sommetime i ask myself why to buy a laptop if my Puppy keeps me linked at home. Devs should think about kernels with no drivers available.
Attachments
Unchained.jpg
Antenna and its driver will change your Puppy's life, and yours
(34.4 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 07:37, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#215 Post by rcrsn51 »

Old Puppies like 431 or 528 need an upgrade to udhcpc. Install the attached PET. This needs testing and feedback.
Attachments
busybox_udhcpc-1.20.0.pet
(15.82 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

rcrsn51

#216 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF v4.2 posted above. See the new Update note regarding Ethernet interface names.

jamesbond

#217 Post by jamesbond »

Peasywifi 4.2 adapted for Fatdog: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 465#949465. Inside, there is a file called "install/slack-note" which explains the adaptation that I've done.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

rcrsn51

#218 Post by rcrsn51 »

Withdrawn due to lack of feedback.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 00:44, edited 6 times in total.

Marv

Re: PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager

#219 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:Update: Some new Puppies have the annoying habit of changing their WiFi interface names, like when you move a Puppy install to different hardware or if you plug in a different USB adapter. In PWF, this is not a problem - just click the I/F button to see the new name, then update your Config.

But the same thing can happen with Ethernet interfaces - eth0 may get renamed as eth1. PWF v4.2 adds a new I/F button to the Ethernet page that lists your current wired devices. In the event of a change, you could disable eth0 and enable eth1 for DHCP.
Thanks, this is a nice touch. I'll try it out. When I move pups between different hardware or update kernels, one of the files I scrub from the savefile is /root/.etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. This prevents much of the renaming/ethernet port number 'climbing'. The file is regenerated correctly for the new hardware and kernel on first boot in the new environment.

PWF is used on all my machines and pups and is greatly appreciated.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Pelo

now i will remove frisbee when i install PeasyWifi

#220 Post by Pelo »

last news : now i will remove frisbee when i install PeasyWifi in my Puppies. Frisbee garbles PeasyWifi. Without everything works (Slaxen 6.3.2, wlan1, kernel 3.14.55, dongle assisted wireless connexion)
ndiswrapper : always have failed until now. But i linked to Windows hard disk files. Getting ndiswrapper outside on a pendrive would be worth a try.
ndiswrapper_1.61_slacko630-k3.14.55.pet bookmarked

rcrsn51

Re: now i will remove frisbee when i install PeasyWifi

#221 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pelo wrote:Getting ndiswrapper outside on a pendrive would be worth a try.
I have noticed the following with some WiFi adapters that I have bought recently. Even though they still provide an XP driver on their setup CD, they no longer work with ndiswrapper.

rcrsn51

#222 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF uses udhcpc to acquire an IP address and DNS server from your ISP. But in rare cases, you may want to choose a different DNS server, like Google's 8.8.8.8.

1. Go to /etc and create a file named resolv.conf.head as follows:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
2. Reboot and connect.
3. Check the file /etc/resolv.conf
4. To restore your ISP's choice of DNS server, just delete the file /etc/resolv.conf.head

-----------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#223 Post by rcrsn51 »

Still v4.2 but with a new post-install script. There is new logic in woof for selecting a connection manager, and PWF stays compatible.

You only need the upgrade for woof-built Puppies released after 2017-05-01. But it is backwards compatible with older Puppies.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 11 May 2017, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Modifications for scientists.

#224 Post by Pelo »

Modifications for scientists. I will continue using peasywifi as usual. Frightened to break something not working bad.. Yet there is a part of chance when i am successful.

rcrsn51

#225 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF v4.3 adds a new "quick-connect" function to the Profile page.

Some wireless access points, like WiFi-Direct printers, have the annoying habit of changing their SSID, forcing you to make a new profile with each change. Now you can join the AP just by clicking the Connect button and entering the WPA2 passphrase.

You can also use this feature for a one-time connection to a secure network.

Marv

#226 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:PWF v4.3 adds a new "quick-connect" function to the Profile page.

Some wireless access points, like WiFi-Direct printers, have the annoying habit of changing their SSID, forcing you to make a new profile with each change. Now you can join the AP just by clicking the Connect button and entering the WPA2 passphrase.

You can also use this feature for a one-time connection to a secure network.
Got it! Downloaded and installed on my newest, a core i5-2520M with an Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter using the ath9k driver. Running LxPupSc 17.07.23 for now. No hitches, no glitches. Took it down to the bike commons to check the new 'quick connect with password, no profile' feature and it works perfectly. The last of my Pentium M stable of laptops have retired and I'm vetting three new to me Fujitsus, two i5 based and one core 2 duo convertible tablet. PWF for all!

Thank you,

Edited: LxPupSc version number corrected
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rerwin

#227 Post by rerwin »

rcrsn51,
Although I have not been following this thread about PeasyWiFi, I looked more closely on 8/27 and am impressed by what you have done. I note that you have been keeping up with the changes I have made to the networking wizard and its friends.

I think the connectwizard components need to accommodate PeasyWiFi, so have updated the 8/27 release (20170727) to add some compatibility, announced here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 134#962134
The significant change, for PeasyWiFi, is that the /etc/rc.d/rc.network script is now associated only with the network wizard. So, the network_default_connect script can start the rc.network.pwf script wherever it resides.

If PeasyWiFi is installed and has a profile defined, network_default_connect (in 20170729) now looks for "rc.network" in /usr/local/peasywifi, in case you decide to move it there. If not there, a link will be placed there pointing to /etc/rc.d/rc.network.pwf, during boot-up.

Since PWF 4.3 does not contain the call to identify itself to connectwizard, it should be installed before any other network manager is used or set as default. PeasyWiFi can be set as the default manager, but need not be.

PeasyWiFi can benefit from the recent network_connect improvements if a few simple but tedious changes are made to it. I am willing to make those changes, with your permission. The changes I propose are:
  • - Add PeasyWiFi identification to connectwizard, which will then stop any other running network manager and its connection.

which connectwizard_exec &>/dev/null && connectwizard_exec peasywifi
    - Make the gtkdialog dialog names unique to PeasyWiFi by changing "DIALOG" to "PEASYWIFI_DIALOG", so they can be found and killed when another network manager starts.
    - Make the Xdialog processes include '--wmclass "peasywifi"', so they can be found and killed when another network manager starts. That also specifies an icon to be used for the Xdialog window; I suggest adding a link, /usr/share/pixmaps/peasywifi.png, pointing to peasywifi-48.png (or -24 if necessary).
    - Consider adding code to rc.network.pwf to support disconnecting a connection, to cleanly shut down a connection the "PeasyWiFi way." That would allow disconnection from the networking tray icon, as well as for switching away from using PeasyWiFi.
If you need anything further from me, to integrate PeasyWiFi into the mainstream, please tell me. I am open to adding PeasyWiFi as a choice in the connectwizard networking dialog, if and whenever you are ready for that.
Richard

rcrsn51

#228 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF's most recent post-install script registers itself in /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect and deletes /root/.connectwizardrc.

So in network_default_connect, the value of CURRENT_EXEC and NETCHOICE should be "peasywifi".

PWF puts its rc.network in /etc/rc.d - moving it elsewhere would be problematic in several ways. So line 58 could just be

peasywifi) /etc/rc.d/rc.network & ;;
This setup should maintain backwards compatibility.

BTW, I don't understand the role of lines 26-43. Also, why is frisbee not included in the final case structure?

rerwin

Integrating PeasyWiFi into Puppy

#229 Post by rerwin »

rcrsn51,
Thanks for getting back to me about this.
rcrsn51 wrote:PWF's most recent post-install script registers itself in /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect and deletes /root/.connectwizardrc.
The new "network connect" version submitted to woofCE and posted elsewhere uses the defaultconnect value only as a last resort. The current manager name is kept in .connectwizardrc, independent of the default. So, deleting it defeats the purpose of the effort to keep managers from inadvertently interfering with each other. Now, SNS, netwiz and frisbee use the "_exec" service to identify themselves as current and ensure that the previously running manager is cleaned up after, in case it has dialog windows displaying.
So in network_default_connect, the value of CURRENT_EXEC and NETCHOICE should be "peasywifi".
That is what I am using.
PWF puts its rc.network in /etc/rc.d - moving it elsewhere would be problematic in several ways. So line 58 could just be

peasywifi) /etc/rc.d/rc.network & ;;
This setup should maintain backwards compatibility.
This is where PWF violates the practice of keeping program names (or their path names) unique, so that an unfamiliar troubleshooter can know what programs are running and where to find them. Script /etc/rc.d/rc.network is part of the Network Wizard, but has been used in Puppy even without a connection having been defined through net-setup.sh. Now, Barry has replaced that "outside" use of rc.network with the simpler rc.network_eth. With netwiz now in its own package, it can be omitted altogether from a distro. That would impact PWF, which should be independent of other managers. Ideally, and consistent with the other managers, netwiz should reside in /usr/local/network_wizard -- and I am not ruling out doing that.

Other than requiring some straightforward coding changes, how is it problematic to make it both forward and backward compatible? PWF can use the presence of connectwizard_exec as the indicator of the operating environment. Instead of replacing rc.network with the .pwf file, simply replace it with a link to the rc.network(.pwf) script in PWF's directory. But you wouldn't need to do any of that if "_exec" is present.
BTW, I don't understand the role of lines 26-43.
That case structure handles the case when no default manager has been set, making a best guess given what it finds in the way of connections but using frisbee only if it is "active".
Also, why is frisbee not included in the final case structure?
It is handled by the "*)" case, because its /etc/init.d script detects whether it is active (the current manager) and initializes if it is.

I hope this "eases your mind" about integrating PWF into Puppy, in a backward compatible way.
Richard

jd7654

#230 Post by jd7654 »

Haven't used PeasyWifi before, only now saw its use in DebLive-Stretch from Fred's mklive-stretch builder.

The connection seems simple and works, but does not survive a reboot and come up working.
Where is it supposed to store config, and does that work in Debian Dog and the DebLive-Stretch?