EmSee-2nd-Edition | Ultra | 2016

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#16 Post by stemsee »

@GCMARTIN
I see you have guest machine set to x86_64 and it works.

so libgnutls.so.28 and qemu launcher need attention. Did you try synaptic package manager?

Today I made improvements 'openshot depends (installed anew using synaptic) and found another 2 bugs. One when making a full install, it installs to folder /mnt/sda* without mounting /dev/sda* on that folder first! Second after creating savefile it copies/creates /root/Choices/Rox-Filer/PuppyPin which remembers desktop icon placement, however all wine prog icons disappear. So need to copy original PuppyPin to savefile.

1st Welcome is easily fixed I can add script in startup or remaster. Frisbee is broken at the moment.

Anything else?

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

stemsee wrote:@GCMARTIN
I see you have guest machine set to x86_64 and it works. ...
That QEMU screen configures the VM hardware peripherals (kinda like building a "real" PC). 64bit x86 PCs will boot either 32bit/4bit operating system/distros.
So, just as you can natively boot 32bit OSes on a real 64bit PC, you can also do the same on a virtual guest machine.
Also, of course, the virtual guest can also boot 64bit OSes, too. So, I use that simple item to boot all of the PUPs I now test, no matter 32bit or 64bit.

Picture, below, shows a virtual PC (Guest) with its defined peripherals.

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

QEMU for 32bit systems are provided by @MikeB. Be sure to get BOTH the QEMU & QEMU Launcher GUI. This would allow EmSeeV2 to configure and run any virtual PC's hardware requirements.

Tried to use PPM to get gnutls, but, failed as it only allowed "Local" for download selection.

Also, I tested XBMC. Limited test OK. But, there is a bug fix point-release out.

stemsee

#19 Post by stemsee »

I have uninstalled the qemu versions listed in ppm. XBMC-13.1 will be added (it is a bit smoother in performance). I could make an sfs of it with wine and wine prefix included! It would be huge however! Getting XBMC-13.1 natively on linux was so much hassle compared to the ease and exactly the same performance of loading it on wine. I may also upgrade wine to 1.7.20 or 1.7.21. But that will be enough for V2. It is never ending the making of improvements. The functionality it now supports is way beyond the average joe's needs, and expert users will invariably make changes to suit their own use and perceived advantage. I have learnt so much during this time piecing V2 together, that V3 will get the total benefit of it! I don't know any puppy user who sticks to only one pup for everything, but I am getting ready a pup that is fully capable of it (such as lazy but without the bling!). And easy to upgrade modular boot files. V3 aims to exist in 32bit, 64bit, variants.
I have the new combo qemu/launcher pet. I am also looking to include some scripts from RSH's Lassie, as he gave the nod, or maybe in V3.

If you can gather all the necessary pets for the additions you would like to see that would be a great help!

stemsee

#20 Post by stemsee »

I have written a simple script which takes care of desktop icons placement according to screen resolution. They are presets for 1366, 1440, 1650 and 1920. Simply open a terminal and type your horizontal resolution ie 1366 the icons will be placed correcty and wm will be restarted to show the change.

stemsee

#21 Post by stemsee »

Qemu launcher and kvm

need to load two modules, modprobe kvm and modprobe kvm-intel (or kvm-amd)
Then qemu launcher works full steam ahead!

EDIT: fixed auto-loading kvm-intel and kvm-amd.
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

Final iso uploading

#22 Post by stemsee »

uploading FINAL iso now! kernel-3.15.0 non pae, woof-ng kernel-combo, Openshot, XBMC-13.1 Gotham, remasterx, DebianDog savefile creator, qemu-2.0.0 + launcher, samba 4.09, music apps, gimp, tons of stuff!

ETP

Re: Final iso uploading

#23 Post by ETP »

stemsee wrote:uploading FINAL iso now! kernel-3.15.0 non pae, woof-ng kernel-combo, Openshot, XBMC-13.1 Gotham, remasterx, DebianDog savefile creator, qemu-2.0.0 + launcher, samba 4.09, music apps, gimp, tons of stuff!
Hi stemsee,
I am keen to try this. Could you please post the link & MD5?
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

stemsee

#24 Post by stemsee »

@ ETP

Thanks for expressing your enthusiasm! I have just completed finishing touches and will upload the final iso (2GB) to my google drive tonight!

I am very pleased with the outcome - especially desktop icons switching for resolution, just type - 1024 or 1366, 1440, 1650, 1920, 2560 (plus default PuppyPin as backup) in a terminal and bingo! Also added arandr. Last minute fix for jackd, added three icons to desktop, one to activate jackd for inbuilt soundcard (hw0), another for usb (hw1) and another to stop jackd, replacing qjackctl, as Ardour handles routing and connections.

Hopefully tomorrow will have links for md5 and iso posted, and updating kernels will be a cinch! No need to unpack initrd or main.sfs anymore!

Cheers!

EDIT: Kernel updated to 3.15.5 pae and non-pae available also 64 bit version available for this and other 64bit distros. The 3.15.5 kernel, is the recent stable kernel with lots of bug fixes for usb audio, kvm, ext4, etc. This kernel compiled with hibernation support! kernel argument <resume=/dev/swappartition> terminal call 'echo disk > /sys/power/state'

Edit 2: After compiling pae, no-pae and 64 bit versions of 3.15.5, I realise that kvm was builtin (oops!) and doesn't load a module and therefore qemu doesn't seem to use kvm built-in, so qemu not native speed! So sticking with 3.15.0 for iso. These kernels available as alternatives/upgrades. I will compile the next stable version when available.
BTW the 64bit kernel on 64bit cpu boots this 32bit system fine.

screenshot @ 1650 x 1050 2nd external monitor, not mirrored.!
Attachments
capture15640.jpg
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times

stemsee

#25 Post by stemsee »

Here it is after 6th attempt to upload! EmSee-2nd-Edition (EmSeeV2.iso). Full install to usb supported with f2fs by 01micko! Works great.

EDIT: incremental update 16/07/14

md5

EmSeeV2.1.iso @2.4GB

Edit: EmSeeV2.2 incremental update pending!
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 31 Jul 2014, 08:24, edited 3 times in total.

stemsee

#26 Post by stemsee »

@ for everyone with a 64bit cpu here is 3.15.5-EmSeeV2-64
boots 32bit or 64bit OSes and on 32 bit OS qemu kvm boots 64bit OSes too (I am running fatdog64 on EmSeeV2 32bit OS! Just replace vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

gcmartin

#27 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @StemSee. Nice.

In thought, with the prior post on 64bit changes from32bit, you may be paving the way for a single distro with options to boot in 32bit mode or in 64bit. ONLY other distro I am aware that does this is Knoppix, where at boot time, the user can "option" for 64bit.

Questions
  • Is the future for EmSee to be similar?
  • Or will there be a 64bit exclusive with apps forthcoming?
Thanks for what you are doing for this community!!! (I'm thinking @TaZoC would be proud, as this too is forthright in its approach to be friendly.)

stemsee

#28 Post by stemsee »

@gcmartin

Firstly I am an amateur developer with lots to learn! There is no reward except knowledge gained and shared, communal relationships developed etc so there is no roadmap, just a loosely evolving idea of what might want to see implemented in a distro. There is no perfect distro.

Ideally I would like EmseeV3 to be 32 and 64 bit compatible in a single distro, pending know how. I also want to make it smaller with no loss of functionality. Even so an exclusively 32bit and 64bit release is likely. With newly compiled apps where needed.

But V2 is just out now; I am interested to know how you would describe your perfect distro? And what do you 'need' that is lacking from EmSeeV2? apart from Firstrun! And lastly which puppy distro is your main one and why? So that I can add these ideas to V3.

And thanks for what the community (long list) is doing for me!

stemsee

#29 Post by stemsee »

Ok! So I have a new EmSeeV2.1.iso uploading right now. It grew by 300mb somehow! Added Viacam to control cursor with head movements, requires webcam. Bleachbit aded, Espeak text to speech, cli, utility. Upgraded wine-1.7.17 to 1.7.22, upgraded xbmc-13.1 to 13.2, sorted out samba completely, added EmSeeV2savefile.sfs.tar.gz to be decompressed and copied from dvd to usb/hdd etc. Header files are now included in main sfs and removed from modules (openshot requires them to run). TestDisk-6.13 now has menu entry! Some icons fixed in menus. Cleared up status file for synaptic. Added welcome1stboot and quicksetup on first run. Removed a few small scripts, and added unattendremaster by nic007 modified by StemSee, call from term by typing 'unattendremaster', also 'remaster express' in menu!

I will post the links, after successful upload, at which point the previous iso links will be removed, but not deleted from the server for a day or two in case someone is in mid download!

BTW: This was remastered from a running frugal install with savefile using nic007's unattendedremaster script modified by myself to ask for path to working directory! The only thing it missed, but not its fault, was the /usr/include/ folder for headers which was mounted as sfs with modules.sfs. I recommend that method for remastering, it should be added as a standard feature in puppy.

BTW2: F2FS (full install to usb flash device) works well on my usb 3.0 stick but not on my usb 2.0 sick.

EDIT: incremental update 16/07/14

md5

EmSeeV2.1.iso @2.4GB

EDIT: EmSeeV2.2 pending!
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 31 Jul 2014, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#30 Post by stemsee »

Screenshots of different wallpapers and how they affect perception of the icons.
Attachments
capture29762.jpg
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
capture29300.jpg
(48.22 KiB) Downloaded 892 times
capture28892.jpg
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
capture28384.jpg
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

stemsee

#31 Post by stemsee »

Battery tray indicator for laptops!
Attachments
powerappletsjs-2.3.pet
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
Last edited by stemsee on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#32 Post by gcmartin »

Nice.

Only current observation:
  • System is smooth and stable
  • FirstRUN and other initial screen are gotten to, out of order. FirstRUN should be first.
  • Once a user has ever responded to FirstRUN, it should not repeat on desktop starts.
Internet use is swift across all mutli-tabs in a browser.

stemsee

#33 Post by stemsee »

Glad you like it!

1. FirstRUN is actually quicksetup, the other script is Welcome1stboot.

2. If you boot from the iso without a savefile then it will always show quick-setup. The script is in Startup and is called sns it removes itself! if you edit that file you can also change the order of quicksetup and welcome1stboot

3. Simple Network Setup opens up every xorg re/start for those who travel and always need to reconfigure the wpa security before connecting to a different wifi access point, as I do in the library, coffee shops and hostels etc. It is laptop friendlier! I like it!!
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 29 Jul 2014, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

Satori

#34 Post by Satori »

Fresh install using the included empy save file.

sys-logs

▶—— /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log ——◀

'FATAL' messages may be insignificant.

hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/lib/modules/3.15.0/modules.dep': No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.15.0/modules.dep: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.15.0/modules.dep: No such file or directory
mount: mounting none on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory
missing argument to `-iname'
missing argument to `-iname'
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
/lib/modules/3.15.0/kernel/drivers/scsi: No such file or directory
cannot create directory `/lib/modules/3.15.0/kernel/drivers/scsi': No such file or directory
mv: can't rename '/lib/modules/3.15.0': No such file or directory
usage: vercmp version1 lt|gt|le|ge|eq version2
return value 0 if true, else 1
usage: vercmp version1 lt|gt|le|ge|eq version2
return value 0 if true, else 1

▶—— /tmp/bootsysinit.log ——◀

VERSION UPDATE
mv: cannot stat `/etc/modules/firmware.dep': No such file or directory
LOAD KERNEL MODULES
LOAD SWAP
MISC. SYSTEM SETUP
WAIT MODULES LOADED
USER SELECTED MODULES
Loading module evdev
cat: /etc/modules/firmware.dep.3.15.0: No such file or directory
FATAL: Module evdev not found.
SETUP SERVICES
RECOGNISE MEDIA DEVICES
Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map
MISC. DESKTOP STUFF
PERSONAL BOOT SCRIPT
bluetoothd[7072]: Bluetooth daemon 4.98
D-Bus setup failed: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
bluetoothd[7072]: Unable to get on D-Bus
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy.
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
cups: started scheduler.
Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

Starting Samba: /usr/sbin/smbd -D
dhcpcd[7153]: version 5.6.4 starting
dhcpcd[7153]: all: configured as a router, not a host
dhcpcd[7153]: wlan0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.3
dhcpcd[7153]: wlan0: acknowledged 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.1
dhcpcd[7153]: wlan0: checking for 192.168.1.3
dhcpcd[7153]: wlan0: leased 192.168.1.3 for 86400 seconds
dhcpcd[7153]: forked to background, child pid 7273
/usr/sbin/nmbd -D
ok
/etc/init.d/rtirq: line 50: [: argument expected
rtirq: chrt: not installed.
FATAL: Module acpi_cpufreq not found.
Starting HAL daemon: /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes

--------

most are probably scripting teething errors, but I'm particularly disturbed by the ancient e2fsck.

it's getting much better :)

stemsee

#35 Post by stemsee »

@Satori

acpi-cpufreq IS missing, I deleted some files trying to illiminate a menu entry dupication that was persistent, and then i didn't test it. Quite a few other errors which I am not getting! Try without the savefile first!

Here is a new initrd.gz You can load at boot two extra sfs modules just name them adrv_emseev2.1.sfs and ydrv_emseev2.1.sfs ...also this initrd doesn't specify DISTRO_VERSION and so doesn't try to upgrade any savefiles. It came from shinobar>saintless>stemsee>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... aring[url]