EmSee-2nd-Edition | Ultra | 2016

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#106 Post by stemsee »

@Lazy
This was originally a woof-ce wheezy I built, then arrived at this from many remasters. Manually cleaned of extraneous files. Why do you ask?

I seem to be having troubles with the md5s lately.

gcmartin

#107 Post by gcmartin »

I am offsite. I have downloaded latest earlier and would like to demo it. BUT I NEED HELP.

I looked in the opening post, but did not see it. What is the initial username and password for Ultra (64bit boot)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

stemsee

#108 Post by stemsee »

root
ultrawoof

LazY Puppy

#109 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:@Lazy
This was originally a woof-ce wheezy I built, then arrived at this from many remasters. Manually cleaned of extraneous files. Why do you ask?

I seem to be having troubles with the md5s lately.
I was just courious as I had once tried to build my own Puppy in Woof. But I was not able to do this. and using remaster scripts seems to cause trouble in a remastered version from time to time (e.g. booting fine on my machines but won't on others machines when installed different to my setup).

Thanks for the info.

Btw.: I was never able to try one of your puppies as they are usually much too big for my daily allowed download traffic amount.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

gcmartin

#110 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @LazY Puppy
LazY Puppy wrote:... I was never able to try one of your puppies as they are usually much too big for my daily allowed download traffic amount.
Dont know if this is possible for you, but, does your library allow you access to the web. If so, you might try that as one solution to achieving some download results. Some hotspots or cafes also might not restrict your use.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

stemsee

#111 Post by stemsee »

@lazy puppy

I thought your distro was being used daily in a school? Surely they would et you download and burn or write the iso to a usb flash drive!

Remastering and sending out a really clean iso is a big problem, but I have learnt a lot about doing this, and I feel the remaster script is pretty good when you weigh it against the convenience factor. I am satisfied that the result is clean enough and my personal security is not at stake. In the past I did issue iso with all my personal details, for bank, email, skype, addresses, contacts ... everything, but the community is so morally upstanding that nothing at all was ever compromised ... nothing at all! That is outstanding for the internet. Well done puppy community. In fact gcmartin pointed it out to me on several occasions!

I would be happy to send you a dvd throuhg the post if you message me your post box details.

Now you have fewer excuses ;-)

@gcmartin
Have you eperienced any difficulties booting this latest iso?

gcmartin

#112 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @StemSee. I did have a couple problems over the weekend.

One you are aware of ... UID/PW. Once I got it, though, it was too late to demo. And, I rather like the many features of this PUP as it is one of 3 I show various peoples from time to time.

The other is a platform problem. I have several old PCs and their BIOS have become problematic. And the devices, namely DVDs and USBs, are hit/miss which offer non-repeatable problems from time-to-time.

After arriving home, last eve from a 10 day trip, I did insert and try booting the DVD I had burned on the X2 desktop. At the login, I entered login credentials, hit the Enter-key to a blank screen with no way to get back to its console. This desktop PC is 4GB RAM, 4200Hz X2.

After an hour, I went to bed. Will try it on one of the other BIOS based PCs I have.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#113 Post by stemsee »

I am going to upload another iso as I found a problem with thunderbird (my partition inodes were misreported) and with booting x64, google chrome doesn't work with 64bit kernel.

So it will be only 32bit.

gcmartin

#114 Post by gcmartin »

The yesterday boot was the 64bit selection. Today, without retrying the 64ibt, I tried the 32bit option.
Update: Just retried the PC from yesterday booting same way as yesterday except thsi time, I'm booting the 32bit option(default). This time, after entering userid/password, I arrive at desktop. Nothing was changed in the boot process, merely booted PC today after it was powered off since last night. Just getting around to testing setup use.

But, the expected FirstRUN did not start. Starting it manually to set initial setting for this PC. Set localizations and hostname. Desktop was restarted. SAMBA folder sharing started to this PC's download folder.

32bit running fine on desktop from DVD boot. I am having problem with sound. Seems retrovol does NOT see the motherboard's sound in 32bit Ultron. Please advise.

Code: Select all

sh-4.3# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       4917420      1221592      3695828       143672       203860
-/+ buffers:            1017732      3899688
Swap:      4235672            0      4235672

sh-4.3# lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 1.1 Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 2.0 Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem (rev 04)
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

sh-4.3# alsamixer
invalid card index: 0
try `alsamixer --help' for more information
Additionally: Attempts to adjust tray setting yields this error in 32bit Ultron:
ImageImage

Update2: Tried to boot the option 3 (64bit). After login, seconds later I see a message VESA extension not detected and then nothing on screen. No way to regain prompt.

stemsee

#115 Post by stemsee »

Here is the fixed iso
I have included kernel-4.1.3-64 as this is the last 64bit kernel that worked (I haven't out why yet). Newer ones boot but the modules don't load or something.

Thunderbird is fixed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gaN1 ... sp=sharing

stemsee

#116 Post by stemsee »

I found another problem.

minidlna is installed but the permissions are incorrect. Do this in term

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/minidlna
config file is at /etc/minidlna.conf to edit type in term

geany /*/minidlna.conf
to start

/etc/init.d/minidlna restart

stemsee

#117 Post by stemsee »

Here is a new iso @2.8GB. Back with dual kernels x64 and i686 4.4.0
Minor improvements

Nicons fixed for switching from 3 common desktops to 4 individually customizable desktops.
Tor upgraded to 5.5
Libreoffice to 5.04.2
Slocategui updates databases per use and other auto groupadd etc
DarkSnow streamer
Thunderbird with calendar plugin lightening
kia (keep Internet Alive cli) "kia &"
killnet
PackIt
UExtract

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gaN1 ... sp=sharing

user=root
pass=ultrawoof

gcmartin

#118 Post by gcmartin »

Is this MD5 checksum correct?

6eb276c81de390874240ba83ce621d29  EmSee-Ultron.iso
34cf635172086d3904ed1e7569c65a61  EmSee-Ultra.iso

cinclus_cinclus

#119 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

Checked MD5 of my downloads.

EmSee-Ultron.iso: 6EB276C81DE390874240BA83CE621D29

EmSee-Ultra.iso: 34CF635172086D3904ED1E7569C65A61

Of course these hexadecimal values are not case-sensitive, so equal to yours.

toomanyquestions

Live USB?

#120 Post by toomanyquestions »

Is the desktop JWM/rox only? I'm not really a fan (I prefer openbox with a few tools & tint2 - it just looks swell).

I am planning to put this (or something by csipesz) on a decent sized usb 10+gig. Any recommendations/thoughts?

I'm thinking I'll keep the usb fat32, and then place my daily files outside the OS - thus making them available on non-linux machines...(hey, when you need the files on a windows computer it makes life easier!).

I am open to wisdom!

Edit: download failed! :(
Last edited by toomanyquestions on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#121 Post by stemsee »

I put mine on a dual partition usb stick partition 1 is fat32 and 2 is ext 4
Works great, I do not copy to ram my boot is

kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbhd pfix=fsck,nocopy
Download is working fine here!

Jwm with rox for icon management custom Nicons software. Openbox is also available. XFCE, KDE .sfs modules easily added.

regards stemsee

toomanyquestions

#122 Post by toomanyquestions »

No ram - and it's still pretty quick? Can you place the bootloader in fat32 and then boot to ext4 (the 2nd partition)? I've never tried it,,,
stemsee wrote:I put mine on a dual partition usb stick partition 1 is fat32 and 2 is ext 4

Download is working fine here!

Jwm with rox for icon management custom Nicons software. Openbox is also available. XFCE, KDE .sfs modules easily added.

regards stemsee

gcmartin

#123 Post by gcmartin »

Is the current distro a hybrid ISO?

ETP

#124 Post by ETP »

Hi stemsee,

I have no wish to give you a persecution complex but must take you to task again. :)
I put mine on a dual partition usb stick partition 1 is fat32 and 2 is ext 4
Code:
1. Unless it is a cunning ploy of some kind that surely should be pmedia=usbflash

2. If your kernel supports f2fs & you have f2fs-tools installed, f2fs on 2 would give better performance.

3. If f2fs is not an option then non-journaled ext4 is the next best bet.
To disable journaling you can use (where XN points to your partition letter and digit):

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdXN
4. "nocopy" - Unless you are very short of RAM you may as well use it as it will just sit there feeling sorry for itself.

Anyway depending on your age it is either:

A) (Young) - Detention and/or no lashings of extra custard from matron.

B) (Old) - Temporary confiscation of your bus pass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT - Footnote:

pmedia=usbhd can come in handy when dealing with full installs to the 2nd partition on a USB stick.
Depending on the kernel something like,

APPEND root=/dev/sdc2 rootwait rw

may suffice but will result in kernel panic "init not found" with other kernels. In which case;

APPEND root=/dev/sdc2 pmedia=usbhd rootwait rw

will boot OK.

With a normal install to a partition on an SSD pmedia=ataflash comes in handy as it allows a load
from the SSD but with PupSaveConfig the option to save or not at the end of the session.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

stemsee

#125 Post by stemsee »

Hi ETP

usbhd seems to be the selection made by grub4dos when detecting a usb-3.0 256mb/s sand disk extreme (fastest usb 3 stick). For lesser sticks usbflash will sufice.

Nocopy, because copying a 3gb file to ram takes quite a lot of time, especially when, as i do, I often reboot to test things out (new kernels, new main sfs, menu, modules to load, daemons loading at start up). I am sure my usage is not typical, and I am happy you take the time to offer solid advise!

Cheers!
stemsee