How to run patched PAE kernels on Banias series Pentium M

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Marv

How to run patched PAE kernels on Banias series Pentium M

#1 Post by Marv »

Don't know why I never tried this before but just did for the first time and it worked. The pre-Dothan Pentium Ms actually have PAE capability but the PAE flag is not set so PAE pups will not boot on them. Including the kernel parameter forcepae got Saucy Salamander CE, a PAE kernel, up and running for me. There is a forcepae patch which must be enabled in the kernel in Saucy as it worked. My menu.lst item below as an example. It's only applicable to this class of processors and to patched kernels but seems to work and there are quite a few of the older Pentium Ms out there. Give it a try if you're a Pentium M type and haven't.
title Experimental currently saucy
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Experimental/initrd.gz
kernel /Experimental/vmlinuz forcepae psubdir=Experimental pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy
ipv6.disable=1
initrd /Experimental/initrd.gz
Edited: Major processor name goof, mine are Banias. Note that forcepae patch must be enabled in kernel.
Last edited by Marv on Sat 31 May 2014, 18:10, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Keef

#2 Post by Keef »

Aren't Dothans post-Banias?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M

Marv

#3 Post by Marv »

Keef wrote:Aren't Dothans post-Banias?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M
Correct! I flipped the two names. Will attempt to edit my post. My CPUs are mostly Banias, with a Dothan in a Dell Latitude of roughly the same age. Sorry.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

Thought maybe you had got the title wrong. Only knew this because I was checking on the CPU of my HP nc6120 - it has a Pentium M 760, a 2.0ghz Dothan, which has PAE enabled. As the latop can only take up to 2 gigs of RAM, I usually stick to non-pae distros.