How to use Netgear WNA3100 in PHATSlacko? (SOLVED)

B.K. Johnson

How to use Netgear WNA3100 in PHATSlacko? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

PHATSlacko-5.5.02 does not have a driver for my wi-fi adapter so no Internet, no PPM download.

Invoking ndiswrapper to access a driver I know works on Windows XP gives the error in the screenshot.

I can use the ndiswrapper in Slacko-5.5, 5.6, 5.7 with the same driver.
The ndiswrapper-1.57 or is it 1.59 does not exist in any repository and if I attempt to download the one in the PPM using 5.5, 5.6 or 5.7, it will only overwrite what exists in the distro.

B.K. Johnson
Attachments
ndisw-load-fail.png
Choosing Ndiswrapper in the connection wizard to load a driver that is not pre-installed results in this screen although the driver is installed in the process at /etc/ndswrapper.
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Perhaps if you could tell us which wifi thingy you're trying to use...?

B.K. Johnson

How to use my wifi? Ndiswrapper doesn't work

#3 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Flash

The thingy is a NETGEAR WNA3100. The fact is that PHATSlacko-5.5.02 does not come with a driver for it. The file that ndiswrapper wants to get is bcmwlhigh5.inf. It is obtained and placed in /etc/ndiswrapper/. See the screenshot below.

B.K. Johnson
Attachments
device_present.png
The driver is installed. As said in previous messages, the procedure places it in /etc/ndiswrapper/
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 613 times

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

I have never tried to use PHATSlacko, but it may be that you need to compile NDISwrapper for it. It involves a kernel module so you will need to load both devx and the correct kernel sources in order to do it.

I have a Netgear WNA3100 here and as you say it works with NDISwrapper in Slacko 5.6 because I have used it. I even posted a .pet of the Windows XP driver files in the Network section of this forum to make it easier for people.

I recently compiled NDISwrapper 1.59 in Dpup Wheezy and as I recall it was quite straight forward. Wheezy has 1.57 and I wanted to upgrade to the latest and also see if it would compile. I have installed the upgrade and tested it with my WNA3100 and it works well.
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

OscarTalks
I have never tried to use PHATSlacko, but it may be that you need to compile NDISwrapper for it. It involves a kernel module so you will need to load both devx and the correct kernel sources in order to do it.
I think you are correct that it needs to be compiled but I have not compiled a puppy before. :oops: Am I ready for that with this pup? Don't think so!

A couple things why I agree with your assessment:
  • The same error occurs when trying to install Ralink rt2860 on PHATSlacko. PHATSlacko comes with Ralink rt2800 which does not work with certain encryption schemes but rt2860 which works on Windows and Slacko-5.6/5.7 with the ndiswrapper that comes with those distros fails to install.
  • Using Slacko-5.7 (PAE), I was able to download (not install) ndiswrapper-1.57 from the PPM (more anon) and install in PHATSlacko. Same error!
B.K. Johnson

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93953, Flash gave 2 links showing how to download from the PPM without compromising what is already installed on the puppy.
Using Slacko-5.7. I used the one below and was successful in downloading the ndiswrapper-1.57 file.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92522
I then installed it in PHATSlacko but no joy. Same result.

OscarTalks' conjecture that ndiswrapper needs to be compiled with the distro seems correct. See my response to him why I concur.

As I don't know how to compile, it's now left up to 01micko to decide whether it is worth his effort to bring out a 5.5.03 with a fix. Pending his decision, I will leave the thread open for him to mark SOLVED / UNSOLVED.

B.K. Johnson

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

I have compiled ndiswrapper-1.59 for PHATSlacko and posted it in the drivers section here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94000

Also, when I first obtained my Netgear WNA3100 usb adapter I posted about it and uploaded the Windows XP driver files as a .pet (which installs them in a directory in /root) for the convenience of other users:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87123
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

How to use Netgear WNA3100 in PHATSlacko?

#8 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Re OscarTalks' pet, I have confirmed at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 999#780999
that it works.

I will now mark this thread as SOLVED.

B. K. Johnson