REWARD for ALSA DotPup and compiler DotPups

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
solarcontrol

REWARD for ALSA DotPup and compiler DotPups

#1 Post by solarcontrol »

A big bottle of the best hotsauce you ever had to whoever makes dotpups of ALSA and of compilers with dependencies.
I promise this and it doesn't matter where you live.

Dotpup is the way to go man.
Leave Puppy skinny as a rail and have everything else boxed up for dotpup.

As it is, it's a godsend for me.
I come across many old boxes by intent and give them new life with linux.
There is simply no reason for ppl to throw comps away.
They can be spiffed up and given to someone that needs it (along with some hands on tutelage). For next to nothing decently fast boxes can be had for those that arent gamers. This is the majority of users and they dont need the latest alienware deathstar for casual info and communication.

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

Couldn't agree more mate !

Keep it small, but hugely upgradeable through the DotPups. There seem to be one or two new ones added to the list every day recently.

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I do have one exception to that: DotPups rely on you having storage after the CD has been remastered. So if you want a CD you can take on the road anywhere, you can't take DotPups with you (well, you can with the multi-session CD, but I have had problems with some hardware not properly reading a CD that was not finalized).
Ideally you should be able to take any DotPup package and use it as part of the Unleashed building suite to create your own customized liveCD. This is currently not possible, as opposed to a properly written PupGet which can be used both to master the CD or to be installed later.

If remastering the CD is easy enough (and it is, just give it a try) you could have a "skinny" base CD that you add to to create your own customized CD.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie