Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Oct 2018, 04:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 36 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2018, 20:07    Post subject: Re: Why do we find omni.ja twice in OPT ?  

hamoudoudou wrote:
Why do we find omni.ja twice in OPT ?

They are different files with different sizes. They appear to be the Java "JAR" format, which is really a "zip" file. You can copy the JAR file with a "zip" extension into a separate subdirectory and unzip them. The version in the "palemoon/" subdirectory is larger and contains more files than the version in the "palemoon/browser/" directory. They happen to use the same name, but have different functions.
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 06:52    Post subject: same name, but no same functiuns..  

same name, but no same functiuns.. Too difficult for me.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 07:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
Why do we find omni.ja twice in OPT ?

Because that is how the developers of Palemoon want it to work.
As I understand, one file is used for actual display of the browser and the other is used in display of web pages.

Probably keeps a bad coded web page from freezing up the browser. The bad code would only freeze up the web page.

greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 13:42    Post subject:  

Does the presence of omni.ja indicate that a java jre is required for Palemoon to run properly? Or does it indicate that Palemoon has some form of java runtime built in?

(I am happy with javascript but don't want anything to do with java)

cheers!
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 16:08    Post subject:  

No. It is actually using unzip to unpack it.

Do not get all hung up over this.

It is just a type of compressed package file with files in it that Palemoon uses. Palemoon being based on Mozilla.
They use the jar format to compress/package stuff.

Quote:
achieve performance improvements by moving many of their internal parts from being standalone files or sets of JAR files into just one JAR file called omni.ja ; this reduces the amount of I/O needed to load the application.

Note: Starting with Firefox 10 and Thunderbird 10, the file extension .ja is used because Windows System Restore does not back up files with the .jar extension, but it does back up .ja files. This change was needed to prevent Firefox from becoming corrupted.

That is a Windows problem, but .ja also works in Linux, so I guess they used it in both versions.

Whatever, it works! Very Happy

Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar 2018, 00:55    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.1 available  

Version 27.8.2 is available for downloading. This is a security update. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar 2018, 04:16    Post subject: 1 clic video Download.
Subject description: Peter Olayev

For downloading video from You Tubel with Palemoon 27.6.2, simply install addon
1 clic video Download.
I choose MP4.Than i can do what i like with it..
Dpup Stretch 7.5 build by Radky includes Palemoon
youtube.jpg
 Description   Extension can be MP4 or different. MP4 is better for me.
 Filesize   31.74 KB
 Viewed   589 Time(s)

youtube.jpg

sindi

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 12:17    Post subject: [url][/url] and blank start page  

Does anyone else see square brackets around things like url and quote, and have to cut and paste URLs to access them?

Lupu 2016 with latest palemoon.

Preferences set to blank page for start, but it comes up as last page accessed.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 00:20    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.3 available  

Version 27.8.3 is available for downloading. This is a small update to solve a rather pervasive crash issue caused by layout code used for "responsive webpages". The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 00:33    Post subject: Re: [url][/url] and blank start page  

sindi wrote:
Does anyone else see square brackets around things like url and quote, and have to cut and paste URLs to access them?

That shows up when you hit "Quote" to quote a user as part of a reply to this forum (and also other forums)

sindi wrote:
Preferences set to blank page for start, but it comes up as last page accessed.

Two possibilities...

1. Are you recovering from a crash or "killall palemoon" command? Pale Moon will attempt to restore the previous session in that case.
  2. Do you have multiple profiles? Maybe you've set one profile to start with blank, but you're opening another profile that doesn't have the setting.
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 14:14    Post subject:  

You should also delete the moonchild productions directory in /root/.cache/.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 06:22    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.9.0 available  

Version 27.9.0 is available for downloading. This is the last major development update for the v27 milestone (codenamed "Tycho"). After this, we will be focusing our efforts for new features entirely on UXP and the new v28 milestone building on it. We will continue to support v27.9 with security and stability updates for a while, but no major new features will be added from this point forward. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 20:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
...we will be focusing our efforts for new features entirely on UXP...

What is UXP?

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 02:02    Post subject:  

https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

says

A XUL-based web-browser demonstrating the Unified XUL Platform (UXP).
This browser is a close twin to pre-Servo Firefox in how it operates.

Is this browser associated/affiliated with Mozilla?
In one word: No.
This browser is created and maintained by the team behind Pale Moon, and is a fully independent fork of the Mozilla/Firefox code.

Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:46    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Quote:
...we will be focusing our efforts for new features entirely on UXP...

What is UXP?

See first post in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18211 "Details about UXP in 2018" for more details. Basically, it was recently discovered that the current fork base (Firefox 55) already has some hard-coded stuff set up in preparation for Quantum/Rust/etc. This would get in the way of using the XUL base code for anything but a Firefox-like browser. Apparently, it's simpler and less work to re-fork off of Firefox 52 ESR than to undo the interconnected source code changes all over the place along the path from FF52 ESR to FF55.
Page 36 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: