palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Sailor Enceladus

Re: youtube broke

#496 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

sindi wrote:Is there a graphical youtube downloader known to still work? Many of my laptops do not have enough cpu/gpu power or memory to run firefox and youtube. Smtube worked on a 1GHz PIII.
This trick by nic007 usually works for me but you have to use Firefox 28 to do it (in Palemoon it only half works - showing the menu but doesn't save the video when clicking on that option, and in Firefox 52ESR it doesn't work at all, at least for me)

edit: Just tested again, this trick still works in Firefox 28 :) and not in Palemoon :(

sindi

Palemoon and Youtube at multiple resolutions

#497 Post by sindi »

In Lupu 2016 and Tahr 6.0.5 (at least on this laptop from 2004) I can play Youtube videos with Pale Moon 27.6.2 but only at 360p. In Xenial, with PM 27.6.1, they play at all resolutions.

I changed the line in about:config with 'obsolete' in it from False to True in order to get all the resolutions.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think it started recently.

thinkpadfreak

#498 Post by thinkpadfreak »

sindi wrote:
> I changed the line in about:config with 'obsolete' in it from False to True in order to get all the resolutions.

I think Pale Moon 27.6 plays h264/mp4 video with the help of libavcodec existing in the OS.
When libavcodec is "obsolete," Pale Moon does not use it but plays the video with VP8 codec, unless "allow obsolete" is true. It seems that not all the resolutions are available when the video is played with vp8 codec.

sindi

palemoon only plays youtube at 360p

#499 Post by sindi »

[quote="thinkpadfreak"]sindi wrote:
> I changed the line in about:config with 'obsolete' in it from False to True in order to get all the resolutions.

I think Pale Moon 27.6 plays h264/mp4 video with the help of libavcodec existing in the OS.
When libavcodec is "obsolete," Pale Moon does not use it but plays the video with VP8 codec, unless "allow obsolete" is true. It seems that not all the resolutions are available when the video is played with vp8 codec.[/quote]

Walter Dnes said to change the line to TRUE to get the other resolutions and it worked until a few days ago. Now I get only 360p with it TRUE, same as FALSE. Please confirm. I have ImageBlock, Adblock Plus (to try to stop Youtube ads), Noscript and a Youtube video downloader.

Another add-on disabled Youtube entirely (something about cinema mode).

New Moon 27.7 for XP (PaleMoon unofficial for XP and Win2K) with three extra DLLs needed for H64 plays all the resolutions. MSFN site.

Maybe libavcodec needs updating?

This is in Lucid Puppy 2016. Firefox 45.8 ESR displays all the resolutions.
Some sites are jerky at 360p and I want the 240p option. On faster computers I would like 480p (not available with smtube).

sindi

Palemoon only 360p

#500 Post by sindi »

Disabling adblock and imageblock and a youtube downloader makes no difference.

Total cpu usage for 360p is just about 100%, which makes for jerky video.
240p would fix things.

This is a 1.6GHz 2004 HP zv5000 laptop. Most of my laptops are slower but worked fine with smtube 15 or 17 and lucid puppy 2016 until Youtube changed.

Smtube 18 works with Tahr puppy and mplayer 2015 or VLC (smoothly, on this 2004 laptop) but Tahr video does not work on at least two of my laptops (or Slacko or Xenial on the one I tested on).

Temporary solutions: Palemoon with Tahr puppy or Windows (Maybe smplayer still works with XP?).

Walter Dnes

Re: Pale Moon 27.7.0 available

#501 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon version 27.7.0 is available. This is a major update with bugfixes, enhancements and security/privacy changes. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530

Walter Dnes

Re: Palemoon only 360p

#502 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Total cpu usage for 360p is just about 100%, which makes for jerky video.
240p would fix things.
After some experimenting, I think I've found the "magic incantation" for multiple resolutions on Youtube in 27.7.0 SSE in Lupu...
Tools ==> Preferences ==> Content
In the bottom left corner is "Video" setup...
  • Checkmark "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)"
  • DO NOT checkmark "Use MSE asynchronously"
  • Checkmark "Enable MSE for MP4 video"
  • Checkmark "Enable MSE for WebM video"
You may have to restart Pale Moon for it to take effect. This gives me access to all the video modes.

EDIT: These settings may cause problems for other web sites. You may be better off creating a separate "youtube" profile, and making these changes in only the "youtube" profile, and leaving other profiles at the default settings.
Last edited by Walter Dnes on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#503 Post by bigpup »

There is also this from YouTube help.
1) If you are logged in to your Youtube account, first sign off!
2) Go to Firefox settings and show all your cookies
3) Search for entries "youtube"
4) Here delete all entries for "youtube.com" (but leave "accounts.youtube.com" entries if you use an Youtube account!)
This is for Firefox, but they say this applies to any browser.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Walter Dnes

Re: Pale Moon 27.7.1 available

#504 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon version 27.7.1 is available. This is a small emergency update to Pale Moon 27.7.0 to address website breakages as a result of an incomplete addition of a new feature in JavaScript. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530

mikeslr

Problem with Addons/Extensions

#505 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Maybe it's just me. But, if it's not, the folks at Palemoon appear to not know what their left hand is doing. Or perhaps they're stuck with a situation not their choosing.

I recently did a new install of a Puppy which had palemoon builtin. As part of my setup routine, I ran Palemoon's updater and successfully updated to version 27.1. I then tried to install addons. As you know, you have two choices: the few maintained by Palemoon, itself, and those "firefox" extensions available from firefox's repo.

Unfortunately, selecting firefox takes opens to firefox's repo for those addons for firefox quatro versions. (a) There are, as yet, few of those; but more importantly, Palemoon has not been built against/from firefox quatro. Firefox's extensions will not install.

The message I received is "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 42.0). You are using Firefox 27.9."

I think --untested-- for now it may be possible to install extensions before upgrading. Alternatively, also untested, it may be possible if you are working with a couple of Puppies, to copy your profile which includes extensions to a safe place for use with other instances of Palemoon.

Other suggestions, work-arounds, are invited.

mikesLr

Sailor Enceladus

#506 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Yes, Palemoon is based on Firefox 24ESR so addons for that version (or 24-28, I guess that's what it means by 27.9) will probably work best. A substantial amount of work has been done to get newer things in Firefox working on websites in Palemoon, though I doubt that includes addons, probably part of the "go blow yourself Australis/FF29" motto. :D Sometimes Palemoon has it's own version of addons too. I don't use many addons but you might find this site useful: https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/

Walter Dnes

#507 Post by Walter Dnes »

Long story... up until recently Firefox supported XUL extensions, so several Firefox extensions were compatible with Pale Moon, Firefox has now deprecated XUL in favour of WebExtensions. So current "Firefox-compatable" extensions will no longer run on Pale Moon. From the Pale Moon roadmap page https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml "Pale Moon is not Firefox, and will never be again."

Another issue ssems to be Firefox's version numbering and "user-agent-sniffing". Firefox seems to follow Chrome in boosting the version number by whole integers where a 0.1 boost would be more appropriate. That's why Firefox is at 58 and Pale Moon is at 27. A hack around user-agent-sniffing is to lie to the web site. E.g. in "about:config" set

general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)

Given that Mozilla has deprecated XUL extensions (except for ESR) it may not be useful to look at Mozilla addons much longer.

watchdog

#508 Post by watchdog »

Many archived versions of Mozilla addons are still working in Palemoon. I have recently installed Flagfox version 5.2.3.

tallboy

#509 Post by tallboy »

I have only one extension, Easy Copy 2.7.0, which lets me copy for example forum link and title in one click. Simply useful.

It would be smart to save a copy of your favorite add-ons/extensions for later, many of them will simply disappear, as time goes by...
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

watchdog

#510 Post by watchdog »

Your extensions are all in /root/.moonchild productions/palemoon/xxyyzz.default/extensions. You can copy the entire dir in another profile (and you'll be asked to install them...) or for backup.

Walter Dnes

Re: Pale Moon 27.7.2 available

#511 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon version 27.7.2 is available. This is a security and stability update to the browser. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

6502coder

#512 Post by 6502coder »

I just updated to 27.7.2SSE per the instructions: delete the old "palemoon" directory, then unpack the new 27.7.2 tarball. This worked fine except that the "new" browser still identifies itself in Help->About as 27.7.1SSE. Is this just a typo? EDIT: Sorry, false alarm. After a reboot, the browser identifies as 27.7.2SSE.
Last edited by 6502coder on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#513 Post by rufwoof »

OpenBSD have pulled Palemoon due to licensing issues https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/commen ... ts_due_to/

Moon Child does seem to be a apt choice of name

Walter Dnes

#514 Post by Walter Dnes »

6502coder wrote:I just updated to 27.7.2SSE per the instructions: delete the old "palemoon" directory, then unpack the new 27.7.2 tarball. This worked fine except that the "new" browser still identifies itself in Help->About as 27.7.1SSE. Is this just a typo? EDIT: Sorry, false alarm. After a reboot, the browser identifies as 27.7.2SSE.
A reboot should not be necessary. Linux does not really delete a file if a program is still accessing it. "ls -al" may not show it, but it's still there, taking up space. If you had a minimized window running during the update, that might explain things. To be sure you've shut down all instances and windows of Pale Moon, issue the command...

Code: Select all

killall palemoon
from a terminal (roxterm/xterm/whatever) before deleting the old directory. It's a bit heavy-handed, but it guarantees Pale Moon is not running.

sindi

New Moon 27.8 (for XP) also needs MSE adjusted

#515 Post by sindi »

New Moon is the XP fork of Pale Moon. On a 2004 DELL Inspiron 600M (1.6GHz), with the usual dead USB ports and wifi slot, New Moon in XP, like Pale Moon in Wary or Lucid Puppy (or later Puppies on older laptops) only provides 360p resolution unless you change MSE settings (uncheck top of three listings under content, check bottom one).

The latest non-SSE Pale Moon does not work in Wary - something missing. Which is one reason Walter continues to compile the SSE version to support older libraries. Many thanks.

New Moon uses less CPU in XP than does Seamonkey 2.49 (which will be the last version to work in XP).,

In XP, with New Moon, at 1.6GHz, with Radeon 9000, 360p works well. 480p (auto in Seamonkey) works badly - goes over 100% CPU usage often. Slower CPU and/or GPU would need 240p. The 1.5GHz 600M was a bit jerky at 360p.