palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
bark_bark_bark

#301 Post by bark_bark_bark »

For those with a Debian/Ubuntu-based pup who installed Pale Moon via a .deb package:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14586

watchdog

#302 Post by watchdog »

I suggested palemoon to a my friend having used a my build of lucid puppy for a long time with a sse cpu desktop pc. He finally switched to a second-hand desktop pc with windows vista and was unsatisfied with his original browser. I has told to me that he has been impressed by palemoon's stability in vista and that he uses palemoon even on his android smartphone. Palemoon is gaining some enemies but many friends, too.

XP Refugee

palemoon, adios

#303 Post by XP Refugee »

I've had to switch to Firefox as Palemoon just will not open Messenger on Facebook anymore. Seems they've made changes to it that did this. I have to use FB messenger to chat with a girlfriend. If it were up to me I'd have stuck with yahoo, but their messenger turned into a stinking mess years ago.
I have 2 old Netbooks (well, one is barely used actually) and have settled on 15.6. Was traveling out of country when this started, luckily at the end of the trip.

jss83

Still can't play the twitter videos

#304 Post by jss83 »

I switched back to palemoon since ff is too bloated but it still doesn't plays the videos. :? I am on Tahrpup 6.0.5, is there a fix for this?

bark_bark_bark

Re: Still can't play the twitter videos

#305 Post by bark_bark_bark »

jss83 wrote:I switched back to palemoon since ff is too bloated but it still doesn't plays the videos. :? I am on Tahrpup 6.0.5, is there a fix for this?
Pale moon plays videos just fine for me. Does your puppy set up have gstreamer and the gst-ffmpeg/gst-livav plugin installed?

jss83

#306 Post by jss83 »

How would I know if they're/not installed? :shock: They don't show up in palemoon's plugins. I can play youtube and similar videos just fine, it's the twitter videos I have trouble playing.

bark_bark_bark

#307 Post by bark_bark_bark »

jss83 wrote:How would I know if they're/not installed? :shock: They don't show up in palemoon's plugins. I can play youtube and similar videos just fine, it's the twitter videos I have trouble playing.
oh well, in that case, that's an issue with Twitter doing weird nonstandard things. Twitter embeds a playlist file within the <video> HTML5 tag, which is a major no-no.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: palemoon, adios

#308 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

XP Refugee wrote:I've had to switch to Firefox as Palemoon just will not open Messenger on Facebook anymore. Seems they've made changes to it that did this. I have to use FB messenger to chat with a girlfriend. If it were up to me I'd have stuck with yahoo, but their messenger turned into a stinking mess years ago.
I have 2 old Netbooks (well, one is barely used actually) and have settled on 15.6. Was traveling out of country when this started, luckily at the end of the trip.
I noticed that too, and sometimes when you click on an image the browser goes into an endless loop repeating the same 3 things over and over. Both issues are also in the original Firefox 24, I guess Facebook doesn't test their site on older versions of browsers. I would report it in the Pale Moon forum (unless someone else has) and give them time to sort this problem out as it's Facebook's fault. You can also use m.facebook.com or iphone.facebook.com in your browser to talk to your girlfriend. :)

XP Refugee

#309 Post by XP Refugee »

well...I find it a bit odd seeing as Palemoon is Mozilla and I patched this prob with and update of Firefox. Probably only use it for FB. Palemoon has MANY superior features. First one FF does NOT have that bugs me is the box to UNtick that says close browser when last tab is closed. Quite annoying to have to conciously leave one tab open alla time. Really I find it odd that they don't put these great features in FF.

thanks for the suggestions, might be I'll keep in touch with her on LINE also. Or look into the stand alone FB messenger. Other probs with Palemoon involve not filling out forms properly or being able to complete such a process, say for registration and the like. REALLY would LOVE to see Palemoon strip some garbage and upDATE. It IS the fastest browser I've tried, tho the new FF is improved over the old one. I mean I can put up 15 tabs, say while catching up on reading a forum, and it does not totally lag my lil Netbook. Course with newer versions that's not so anymore. I think 25.4 was the last of the fast ones. Bloat hits em all it seems. LOVE to see SOMEONE DEDICATE their efforts to a lean, fast, UPDATED browser

Moat

#310 Post by Moat »

XP Refugee wrote: First one FF does NOT have that bugs me is the box to UNtick that says close browser when last tab is closed. Quite annoying to have to conciously leave one tab open alla time. Really I find it odd that they don't put these great features in FF.
Hi, XP -

In Firefox, type 'about:config' in the address bar and then hit 'enter' - in the 'about:config' page's search box, type/paste 'browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab' then hit 'enter'. The 'browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab' entry is probably set to 'true' - double-click it to set to 'false'... and you're good to go.

The truth is that many/all of those features of which you mention - and many, many more - are in Firefox - it just takes a little digging around in 'about:config' to find 'em. I suppose the devs don't want to clutter up the main GUI preferences menu too much, so decide to leave certain/many options out... but they're actually there, plain as day, in 'about:config'!

FWIW,

Bob

Sailor Enceladus

#311 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Re: The broken/looping Facebook. It looks like the problem/fix was found today, in a thread that started Sep 5th 2016
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13005&start=318

XP Refugee

#312 Post by XP Refugee »

thanks Bob for that GREAT bit of info. Worked just fine. The devs are boneheads then as it's only one line and makes a WORLD of difference. Stuff like this is why the masses still use IE.

as to the FB problem, upgraded to 27 and the problem continues. Huge lag. Not happy.

Sailor Enceladus

#313 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@XP Refugee: 27.0.3 was released December 16th. I guess the fix will be in whatever version they upload next (27.1 ?).

Walter Dnes

Pale Moon SSE version 27.1 released

#314 Post by Walter Dnes »

The version 27.1.0 tarball is now available for downloading at ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2 It has to be manually installed as per the install instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530

Now for the Puppy-specific stuff. This build strives for backwards compatibility with older libs, such as are used in Puppy Linux, but version 27.1 also shifts away from Gstreamer 1.x to ffmpeg/libav.

Preliminary testing indicates that Lucid Puppy will miss H.264/MP4 videos due to old codecs, but Youtube should still work, along with most web video.

Tahr Pup will get H.264/MP4 if "about:config" setting "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" is toggled to "true". Slacko and higher should work out of the box.

A couple of test pages to look at are...http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html and https://www.youtube.com/html5

All Puppies should be able to pick up Youtube "MSE & WebM VP9" by toggling "media.mediasource.webm.enabled" in about:config to true.

Sailor Enceladus

#315 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks Walter.

watchdog

#316 Post by watchdog »

Pale Moon will not run at all without (reasonably updated versions of) the following dependencies:

GTK+ v2.24
GLibc v2.17
Pango
X.Org
libstdc++ 4.3
The following glibc-tweaked package is tested working in puppy 4.31 with gtk+-2.18.3:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 8.3-p4.pet

and glib-2.22.2:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 2.2-p4.pet

It can work in other old puppies (even without the suggested updates for only puppy4) which don't match the official requirements. It is not an official build and use at your own risk with the usual cares about backup.

palemoon-27.1.0-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

EDIT: palemoon-27.1.1-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

EDIT2: palemoon-27.1.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

Last edited by watchdog on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.

watchdog

#317 Post by watchdog »

Noscript extension from mozilla site is no more properly working for me with this new palemoon 27.1.0 when using the same profile in /mnt/home from a puppy to another. I'm using only JS extension to toggle javascript.

bark_bark_bark

#318 Post by bark_bark_bark »

watchdog wrote:Noscript extension from mozilla site is no more properly working for me with this new palemoon 27.1.0 when using the same profile in /mnt/home from a puppy to another. I'm using only JS extension to toggle javascript.
noscript works for me.

sindi

Pale Moon 27.1 SSE works on PIII

#319 Post by sindi »

Noscript works (at ebay where I tested it).
Youtube Flash Video Player works too.

On my 1GHz Pentium III DELL Inspiron 8100 HTML5 video barely works at 360p (a bit out of sync at times) but Flash Video works well.
They both use about 80-90% of CPU (pale moon plus plug-in). Flash 45% and HTML5 35% of RAM. Flash even works in Theater Mode.
I can't compare with 27.03 SSE because it did not work with Puppy, but in Seamonkey Flash was usable only at 144p, barely .

Pale Moon 27.1 is a major improvement over a non-working-for-Puppy Pale Moon and a memory-greedy Seamonkey, as well as over PM 27.03.

Smtube with mplayer works better 17% cpu and 16% RAM at 360p. 480p is not possible.

On a 2008 1.6GHz netbook the new Pale Moon with HTML5 uses less CPU power than the old one. ffmpeg instead of gstreamer.

Many thanks to Walter, who is trying to teach me to compile Pale Moon myself optimized for specific hardware (MMX, SSE, etc.).

watchdog

#320 Post by watchdog »

watchdog wrote:Noscript extension from mozilla site is no more properly working for me with this new palemoon 27.1.0 when using the same profile in /mnt/home from a puppy to another. I'm using only JS extension to toggle javascript.
I have solved using a new fresh profile. My profile was somehow corrupt or there is a problem in the migration procedure. Noscript is now properly working.