Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

sindi

Google Voice broken in Pale Moon

#322 Post by sindi »

[url]https://www.google.com/voice[/url]

GV recently remodeled..

There is a Main Menu link in upper left (short parallel lines).
Click on it to get a list of what you can do (page down for Legacy GV, which is the only way I could find to make phone calls).

Opera 12 and Qtweb - menu link does nothing at all.

Works with FF 45.6 ESR and Seamonkey 2.46.

Pale Moon 27.1 and 27.03 - the menu was blank. I looked for the usual line at the bottom from Noscript so I could allow scripts and found no traces of Noscript. From the PM Add-ons menu, Extensions, I set Noscript to allow all scripts and there is now a menu, but a scrambled one. (Noscript has worked at other sites as expected).

Large font words over small font words. For instance HELP over Help and Settings. ACCOUNT BALANCE over Credit. PHONE over Calls. Could someone else check this in Puppy (I tried both Lupu and Tahr Puppies, on two computers) before I report it at the Pale Moon forum?

I use GV to make free phone calls (with a free Callcentric number and an Analog Telephone Adapter that plugs into the network and gives us free VOIP). GV calls both parties. I could use Voice+ cell phone app instead but my computer is already on and the cell phone is not.

I look forward to trying the tweaked 27.1 pet with Pulp Puppy (4.1.2) or at least 4.3.1 on a laptop where a wire having to do with power broke (connects with another wire in the power supply to force you to use Genuine DELL power supply to get full speed), that causes Speedstep to run it at 600 instead of 1600 MHz (a 2003 Dell D600). That can be corrected in XP and Puppy 4 but not later Puppies.

I also have two 233MHz Thinkpad laptops with 96MB RAM that work well with Pulp Puppy (GTK1 - I will see how it does with GTK2). Puppy 4 unfortunately cannot handle my 2008 netbook and won't even boot.

sindi

Is Pale Moon identifying as Windows Firefox 3?

#323 Post by sindi »

I was just notified that someone signed into my Google account this morning using Windows and Firefox 3.

My partner says he managed to use Pale Moon about that time with Google Voice, and somehow got to the Legacy
Google Voice page and signed in. Is Walter's Pale Moon 27.1 by some chance set to identify as Firefox 3 under Windows?
That might be the original default, still in source code.

watchdog

Re: Google Voice broken in Pale Moon

#324 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote:https://www.google.com/voice

GV recently remodeled..

<cut>

I use GV to make free phone calls (with a free Callcentric number and an Analog Telephone Adapter that plugs into the network and gives us free VOIP). GV calls both parties. I could use Voice+ cell phone app instead but my computer is already on and the cell phone is not.
I have an old account at google with some money which I used to voip call with googletalkplugin real telephone numbers. It does not work in old puppies: google is very tricky requiring up-to-date libraries. It works in very recent puppies and firefox browser accessing gmail. I can use a chroot workaround to use it in old puppies using a chroot jail in a usb stick to properly work. I have no more need to voip call from pc and I'm not more experimenting. But I can suggest a very puppist alternative: puppyphone or psip. In recent past I remember success using mikeb's psip 0.26 in puppy 4.31. I have some money at ekiga-call-out or diamond-card to voip call real telephone numbers (it's very cheap). But I'm sure that if you private message smockey01 about psip then he can help you to free voip call real telephone numbers by psip.

sindi

VOIP via linux with psip and other programs

#325 Post by sindi »

I use Google Voice instead of dialing directly with psip or zoiper because it is free that way.
There is no charge for incoming calls, and GV calls both parties and connects us.
It works if you have a US phone number. Callcentric (in New York City) very kindly gives out
free phone numbers and expects users to then pay for service, but they have been extremely kind
about answering support questions even from free users. This gives me free wired service via
ethernet. I could also use Zoiper on an android phone or iPhone, or another VOIP client, but
the wifi signal is not as good as the ethernet signal.

I suspect either Qtweb or Opera was set to identify itself as Windows and Firefox 3, not Pale Moon.

Now let's see how Pale Moon tweaked does in Puppy 4 ....

Walter Dnes

Re: Is Pale Moon identifying as Windows Firefox 3?

#326 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:I was just notified that someone signed into my Google account this morning using Windows and Firefox 3.

My partner says he managed to use Pale Moon about that time with Google Voice, and somehow got to the Legacy Google Voice page and signed in. Is Walter's Pale Moon 27.1 by some chance set to identify as Firefox 3 under Windows? That might be the original default, still in source code.
I don't think so. Remember that Pale Moon inherits previously existing user profiles. If the profile was previously set to fake Firefox 3 under Windows, it'll remain that way unless you change it.

sindi

Pale Moon 27.3 'tweak' /usr/bin/palemoon is empty file

#327 Post by sindi »

I installed the three pets for using Pale Moon 27.1 in Puppy 4.3.1. on my Pentium III (SSE).

/usr/bin/palemoon is an empty file.

/usr/lib/palemoon/palemoon would probably have worked but the tweaked version appears NOT to be based on Walter's SSE version because it told me 'illegal instruction'.

ldd /usr/bin/palemoon
lddlibc4 cannot read header from palemoon
no such file

I will eventually try it on a Pentium 4. P4 for Puppy 4 or Pentium 4?

Which file(s) would I need to replace in the tweaked version to use it with a PIII?

sindi

Many 0-length libraries in tweaked Pale Moon 27.1 for 'P4;

#328 Post by sindi »

Some of the libraries in palemoon are 0 length (libmozjs, libmozsqulite, libicu*, and others) ,as are palemoon-bin and run-mozilla.sh and precomplete. This is standard puppy 4.3.1 with the older kernel.

I checked the pet as well as the installed palemoon.
tar -ztvf palemoon*pet.

Once I get the pet working, would it be enough to just replace palemoon binary with the SSE binary?

Walter Dnes

Re: Many 0-length libraries in tweaked Pale Moon 27.1 for 'P4;

#329 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Some of the libraries in palemoon are 0 length (libmozjs, libmozsqulite, libicu*, and others) ,as are palemoon-bin and run-mozilla.sh and precomplete.
Sounds like a problem, possibly broken symlinks.
sindi wrote:Once I get the pet working, would it be enough to just replace palemoon binary with the SSE binary?
No. You would have to replace everything with an ELF header. This includes support libraries as well as the main binary. A quick-n-dirty check on my desktop (64 bit). Ignore the one hit in the dictionary...

Code: Select all

[i660][waltdnes][~/pm540] grep -rb ELF palemoon 
Binary file palemoon/libnssckbi.so matches
Binary file palemoon/components/libmozgnome.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libfreebl3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libnss3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libssl3.so matches
palemoon/dictionaries/en-US.dic:42152:ELF/M
Binary file palemoon/libnssutil3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libplds4.so matches
Binary file palemoon/palemoon-bin matches
Binary file palemoon/libnspr4.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libmozalloc.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libmozsqlite3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/omni.ja matches
Binary file palemoon/libsmime3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/plugin-container matches
Binary file palemoon/libnssdbm3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libplc4.so matches
Binary file palemoon/browser/components/libbrowsercomps.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libxul.so matches
Binary file palemoon/libsoftokn3.so matches
Binary file palemoon/palemoon matches
No need for a pet. What I do is download the SSE tarball and

# First time only
mkdir $HOME/pm

rm -rf $HOME/pm/palemoon
tar -C  $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon-27.1.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

# First time only
ln -s $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon $HOME/bin/palemoon
and then create a desktop icon that launches $HOME/bin/palemoon

sindi

Pale Moon in Puppy Linux 4.3.1

#330 Post by sindi »

I have no trouble using Walter's SSE Palemoon for Puppy 5 and 6 by unpacking it and CD'ing to it to run it.
I got the impression that it would not work in Puppy 4, and the 'tweaked' version would (with later glibc).
Perhaps Puppy 4 with glibc 2.11 upgrade would work with Walter's 27.1 version.

sindi

Pale Moon 27.1 SSE works in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 not 4.3.1

#331 Post by sindi »

Lucid 5.2.5 worked perfectly with Walter's Pale Moon SSE 27.1
Puppy 4.3.1, even with the two added library pets, still wanted libdbus and libdbus-glib.
I copied over the ones I have used to make Firefox 17 work with 4.3.1 and was then told
"D-bus library incorrectly set up".

Firefox 17 crashes when starting up on this computer in Puppy 4.3.1. Maybe a related software problem.
Firefox 45.6 ESR works in Lucid 2016 (5.2.8.7 Dec 2016).

Is there a dbus package I should install instead for Pentium III and Puppy 4.3.1?

watchdog

Re: Pale Moon 27.1 SSE works in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 not 4.3.1

#332 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote: Puppy 4.3.1, even with the two added library pets, still wanted libdbus and libdbus-glib.
Puppy4 and wary have not built-in dbus and dbus-glib to run modern browsers. In puppy4 I use dbus and dbus-glib from archived debian lenny:

http://archive.debian.net/

Wary has dbus and dbus-glib in his repository.

I have no problem with my hardware to run palemoon 27.1.0 in puppy4 (I use puppy 4.31): I'm using my glibc tweaked packages. My sse2 cpu also runs the sse palemoon:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 839#942839

I did not report a md5sum check for my tweaked packages: I suggest to download again the packages. The tweaked packages have /usr/bin/palemoon script of the following type:

#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL=C
/usr/lib/palemoon/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/palemoon/glibc219/lib:/usr/lib/palemoon/glibc219/usr/lib:/usr/lib/palemoon/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib:/usr/lib/palemoon /usr/lib/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
A similar script is used to launch the plugin-container. Flashplayer 25.0 from adobe labs is working with my glibc-tweaked palemoon pet in puppy 4.31. Use flashplayer 11.2 for sse to run the sse palemoon in the above link.

sindi

Recent browsers with Puppy 4

#333 Post by sindi »

I will download the Puppy4 tweak Pale Moon package on another computer with SSE2 and see if the dbus problem disappears.
I might try Wary Puppy. It has to be Puppy 4 to run at 1600 instead of 600MHz with Speedstep problem.

I tried to run both Firefox 45.6 ESR and Seamonkey 2.4.6 on this PIII with those two added libraries but got an error
message about libxul.so and undefined symbol FcConfig GetRescanInterval. Glibc 2.11 update.
I had a different error message before updating GTK 2 with the above pet.

sindi

Wary Puppy Pale Moon undefined symbol g_malloc_n

#334 Post by sindi »

Wary 5.5 on Pentium III, updated gtk and glib, also added libdbus. (Package Manager appears to be broken).

Firefox 45.6 ESR, Seamonkey 2.4.6 and 2.1.7.1 (which I think worked with Puppy 4.3.1), and Pale Moon 27.1-SSE tell me
synbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 undefined symbol g_malloc_n.

I may have also gotten this error while installing glib pet.

What might I add to make Wary work with Walter's SSE Pale Moon and the other recent browsers?

sindi

Wary package manager broken

#335 Post by sindi »

glib and gtk (needed by
Seamonkey 2 and the other
browsers) did not install.
g_malloc_n problem. I seem to
have broken something in Wary
Puppy - any idea what and how
to fix it? I will attempt a
manual update of the
libraries.

sindi

pale moon 27.1 and firefox 45.6 ESR work in wary 5.5

#336 Post by sindi »

Booted to wary 5.5 without save file and puppy package manager works.
Installed dbus and dbus-glib. Same error messages as before but also a message telling me to reboot before using any programs depnendent on dbus.

Rebooted. Seamonkey 2.4.6 crashes. Firefox 45.6 ESR now works and uses 115% of VSM (not all of which is actually used memory) upon exit (not memory intensive
Palemoon 27.1 SSE works using 85% of VSM (at start page). Low CPU usage on both.

Palemoon HTML5 youtube very jerky. Flash 11.2 SSE about as jerky. 115% VSM palemoon 50% plug-in (flash). In Lucid 2016 the same Flash worked acceptably.
(I first killed ROX, cupsd, and anything else I could think of to save RAM).

I have not yet tried SMtube here but I think it worked in Wary.

I will use Wary with Pale Moon on the laptop that runs at 600Mhz with Puppy 5 but 1600 MHz with Puppy 4.
Lucid 5.2.5 on the laptop with messed-up acpi and Xorg (until Richard can figure out where 5.2.8 diverged from 5.2.5).
Lucid 2016 on other laptops with 512MB RAM, both with Pale Moon.

sindi

Pale Moon working on PIII 1GHz in Puppy 4.3.1 with added lib

#337 Post by sindi »

Add gtk and glib packages as recommended above, and dbus and dbus-glib, reboot, and Pale Moon 27.1-SSE works in Puppy 4.3.1. Retro kernel.

Palemoon uses about 96% of memory at this forum page. With a little patience it will make many of my laptops useful at a free internet cafe attached to a soup Out house.

Wary works on PIII laptops where Lucid cannot support sound (800 and 900MHz Toshibas),
with SMTube for playing Youtube. Pale Moon can browse but not play Flash.

Puppy 4.3.1 with Pale Moon and Flash 24 should work on P4 laptops with a broken wire that run at 40% speed with Puppy 5.

Pale Moon might work with Puppy 4.1.2 Pulp, but I use that where there iis little RAM, and even 512MB is barely enough RAM for the 'modern' internet.

Thanks for all the help getting Pale Moon to work in older Puppies (and of course for compiling it to work at all in Puppy Linux).

watchdog

Re: Wary package manager broken

#338 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote:glib and gtk (needed by
Seamonkey 2 and the other
browsers) did not install.
g_malloc_n problem. I seem to
have broken something in Wary
Puppy - any idea what and how
to fix it? I will attempt a
manual update of the
libraries.
The suggested updates about gtk and glib are only for puppy4: no need of updates of these packages in wary.

watchdog

Re: Wary Puppy Pale Moon undefined symbol g_malloc_n

#339 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote: What might I add to make Wary work with Walter's SSE Pale Moon and the other recent browsers?
Try only installing dbus and dbus-glib from wary repository. Reboot. Install my palemoon sse glibc tweaked package. I have tested it only in puppy 4.31.

EDIT: tested working in wary 5.5 my palemoon-27.1.0-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet with flashplayer-sse-11.2.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 839#942839

Only dbus and dbus-glib from wary repository are needed.
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

Re: Recent browsers with Puppy 4

#340 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote: I tried to run both Firefox 45.6 ESR and Seamonkey 2.4.6 on this PIII with those two added libraries but got an error
message about libxul.so and undefined symbol FcConfig GetRescanInterval. Glibc 2.11 update.
I had a different error message before updating GTK 2 with the above pet.
Read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109457

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109550