Add A JWM Bookmarks Menu or Submenu/Messing Around With JWM

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
saintless

#31 Post by saintless »

Hi, MochiMoppel.

I think the problem is the mounting does not happen and if there is no already created mount point directory in /mnt it will error but I might be wrong.
It is too complicated for me to make it simpler but like this it should work in any case.

Code: Select all

<Program label="MyMusicStick"> 
MYUUID="8346-747C"
DRIVE=$(echo `blkid -o device -t UUID="$MYUUID"` | sed /"$MYUUID"/'s/:.*$//;s/dev/mnt/')
mkdir $DRIVE
mount UUID="8346-747C" $DRIVE
rox $DRIVE
</Program>
Edit. Typo error in blkid line corrected.
Last edited by saintless on Mon 19 May 2014, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

saintless wrote:

MYUUID="45B6-2F7F"
DRIVE=$(echo `blkid -l -o device -t UUID="$MYUUID"` | sed /"$MYUUID"/'s/:.*$//;s/dev/mnt/')
mkdir $DRIVE
mount UUID="45B6-2F7F" $DRIVE
rox $DRIVE
</Program>
This seems to open my root directory rather than the stick referred to by UUID. Should I have created a mnt point first or something? I will try a couple of other variations...

EDIT :What mount point would this be looking for? /mnt/music? or /mnt/sdx something?
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 19 May 2014, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

As long as I create the /mnt/music directory first then this works:

<Program label="Music on Flash" icon="music24.png">
	mount UUID=45B6-2F7F /mnt/music
	rox /mnt/music
</Program>
I'm pretty happy with that, I think I could now set up a Places or Bookmarks entry in the menu and link straight to my external usb sticks in a more organised fashion. Thanks!

MochiMoppel

#34 Post by MochiMoppel »

Saintless' code doesn't work for me either. No mounting :cry:

I have a better idea (keep fingers crossed!). Let's search for the device name (e.g. sdb1) of a given UUID and then run the same script as the desktop drive icons would run. If you click a drive icon of an unmouted device, the device gets mounted and ROX will run. Let's do the same:

UUID="F620E" 
DRIVE=$(echo "`blkid`" | sed -n /"$UUID"/'s/:.*$//p' | sed 's|/dev/||') 
/root/.pup_event/drive_$DRIVE/AppRun
</Program>
The drive icons also pass parameters (usbdrv vfat), which should be added to the last line if known, but things seem to be fine without them.

EDIT: @greengeek: Seeing you happy makes me happy :lol: By all means go for a simple solution and forget my cryptic stuff.
Last edited by MochiMoppel on Mon 19 May 2014, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#35 Post by saintless »

Sorry, guys :( Typo error while copying blkid line:

<Program label="Music on Flash"   icon="usb16.xpm">
MYUUID="45B6-2F7F"
DRIVE=$(echo `blkid -o device -t UUID="$MYUUID"` | sed /"$MYUUID"/'s/:.*$//;s/dev/mnt/')
mkdir $DRIVE
rox $DRIVE
      </Program>

saintless

#36 Post by saintless »

greengeek wrote:As long as I create the /mnt/music directory first then this works:

<Program label="Music on Flash" icon="music24.png">
	mount UUID=45B6-2F7F /mnt/music
	rox /mnt/music
</Program>
I'm pretty happy with that, I think I could now set up a Places or Bookmarks entry in the menu and link straight to my external usb sticks in a more organised fashion. Thanks!
Yes, Greengeek. I also will prefer the simple and 100% working solution as this one. The corrected code in my previous post (blkid line changed) should work well but I can't be sure it will in all cases.

saintless

#37 Post by saintless »

MochiMoppel wrote:I have a better idea (keep fingers crossed!). Let's search for the device name (e.g. sdb1) of a given UUID and then run the same script as the desktop drive icons would run. If you click a drive icon of an unmouted device, the device gets mounted and ROX will run. Let's do the same:

UUID="F620E" 
</Program>
The drive icons also pass parameters (usbdrv vfat), which should be added to the last line if known, but things seem to be fine without them.
I'm far away down from the level of your codding skills, MochiMoppel. All I can do is to edit some scripts after reading help pages and create very simple scripts my self. I can test and try to find fixes but this is all I can do to help.

Edit: As it is the quoted script mounts pmount with all flashdrives for me to choose which one to mount.
But it also makes simpler version of what is working for me.
Greengeek, if you like to test try this last one from MochiMoppel. The mount point is not fixed and you do not need to create it. It changes depending what other flash drives are connected and should be (I hope) auto-created and auto-mounted from MyMusicStick-3 menu:

<Program label="MyMusicStick-3">
UUID="45B6-2F7F"
mkdir $DRIVE
rox $DRIVE
</Program>

musher0

#38 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people !

The following little script will open the Puppy's "home", meaning: the folder in
/mnt/home where the main Puppy sfs is located. This partition is automatically
mounted at boot time, so it does not need to be mounted again.

#!/bin/sh
# /root/my-applications/bin/PUPSFSHOME.sh
# Purpose: To show any Puppy's "home" directory on /mnt/home/[something]. 
# (Not the user's "home", which is /root or ~.)
####
rox /mnt/home/`awk -F"/" '$1 ~ /PUPSFS/ { print $2 }' /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE`
Then you can add it to the jwm "Places" submenu, like so:

<Menu label=" Places" icon="/root/my-documents/clipart/oxywhite-folder-open.png" height="16"> 
 <Program label="Top (/)" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec rox /</Program> 
 <Program label="root (~)" icon="/root/home.png">exec rox /root</Program> 
 <Program label="My Documents" icon="/root/my-documents/clipart/Dossiers.png">exec rox /root/my-documents</Program> 
 <Program label="My Applications" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec rox /root/my-applications</Program> 
 <Program label="usr/share" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec rox /usr/share</Program> 
 <Program label="Puppy's Home" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec /root/my-applications/bin/PUPSFSHOME.sh</Program> 
 </Menu>
It saves a few clicks if you need to go there.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

MochiMoppel

#39 Post by MochiMoppel »

musher0 wrote:The following little script will open the Puppy's "home", meaning: the folder in
/mnt/home where the main Puppy sfs is located.
Hi musher0, why don't you put your script directly into the menu? This one-liner is not much longer than the path to your script :lol:

I propose:

<Program label="Puppy's Home" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ; rox "/mnt/$PDEV1$PSUBDIR"</Program>
If Puppy booted from USB stick, then this opens /mnt/sdb1/[something] , NOT /mnt/home/[something]. You cannot count on /mnt/home. This is just a symlink to /mnt/sdb1, and this symlink is not created when Puppy starts in PUPMODE 5 (pfix=ram), while /mnt/sdb1 is the "real" thing.

P.S: You can't even count on sdb1. It is NOT mounted in PUPMODE 5 and maybe some other modes (booting from Live CD?). So to be absolutely certain that your menu works, you first would have to check if the partition is mounted.

This is how my /mnt looks after a fresh boot:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Last edited by MochiMoppel on Tue 20 May 2014, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#40 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Musher0 and MochiMoppel.

This thread start to include code examples not easy to be found in google. I couldn't find anything related to automount drive by UUID from menu entry. The only examples are for lines in /etc/fstab that do not work the same way.

Toni

greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:This is my take on the procedure that Puppus' explained in his first post.

<Menu label=" Places" icon="/root/my-documents/clipart/oxywhite-folder-open.png" height="16">
<Program label="My Documents" icon="/root/my-documents/clipart/Dossiers.png">exec rox /root/my-documents</Program>
<Program label="My Applications" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec rox /root/my-applications</Program>
<Program label="usr/share" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">exec rox /usr/share</Program>
</Menu>
It goes in file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, between the fun menu and the help program. Save, then open a console and type

fixmenus
jwm -restart
I need to do a bit of catching up here...

I know you said your menu is different, and this code (or other contents of "places" menu) can sit between fun menu and help - but my templates file does not contain any reference to any of the usual <program></program> submenus at all. eg:

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="18" onroot="3">

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-system.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-setup.menu

<Separator/>

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-utility.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-graphic.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-document.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-calculate.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-personal.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-network.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-internet.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-fun.menu

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="pRun" icon="/usr/local/prun/icons/prun48.png">exec /usr/local/bin/prun</Program>

<Menu label="Shutdown" icon="shutdown24.png" height="16">
<!-- <Exit confirm="false" label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm" /> -->
<Program label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm">exec wmexit</Program>
<Program label="Reboot computer" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec wmreboot</Program>
<Program label="Power-off computer" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec wmpoweroff</Program>
<Program label="Restart X server" icon="mini-x.xpm">restartwm</Program>
<Restart label="Restart JWM" icon="mini-windows.xpm"/>
I guess I can bang my own version of places or bookmarks menu in there above help, but why do I not show any contents of the actual programmes that should be available in each submenu? Does this file only define the MAJOR structure, and some other file defines the MINOR structure containing the details of each individual programme? (I recall some thread from Mobeus about xdg menus so maybe I should hunt that down...)

I also learnt that running fixmenus deletes all the changes I make directly to /root/.jwmrc
Lesson learnt.

greengeek

#42 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:I have a better idea (keep fingers crossed!). Let's search for the device name (e.g. sdb1) of a given UUID

<Program label="MyMusicStick4"> 
UUID="F620E" 
</Program>
Yes, this one works
saintless wrote:The mount point is not fixed and you do not need to create it. It changes depending what other flash drives are connected and should be (I hope) auto-created and auto-mounted from MyMusicStick-3 menu:

<Program label="MyMusicStick-3">
UUID="45B6-2F7F"
mkdir $DRIVE
rox $DRIVE
</Program>
Yes, both of these work. They do seem very slow due to the blkid but there may be other advantages. These options give me plenty to work with. Thank you all very much!

Puppus Dogfellow

#43 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:This is my take on the procedure that Puppus' explained in his first post.

</Menu>
It goes in file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, between the fun menu and the help program. Save, then open a console and type

fixmenus
jwm -restart
I need to do a bit of catching up here...

I know you said your menu is different, and this code (or other contents of "places" menu) can sit between fun menu and help - but my templates file does not contain any reference to any of the usual <program></program> submenus at all. eg:

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="18" onroot="3">

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-system.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-setup.menu

<Separator/>

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-utility.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-graphic.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-document.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-calculate.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-personal.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-network.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-internet.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-fun.menu

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="pRun" icon="/usr/local/prun/icons/prun48.png">exec /usr/local/bin/prun</Program>

<Menu label="Shutdown" icon="shutdown24.png" height="16">
<!-- <Exit confirm="false" label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm" /> -->
<Program label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm">exec wmexit</Program>
<Program label="Reboot computer" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec wmreboot</Program>
<Program label="Power-off computer" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec wmpoweroff</Program>
<Program label="Restart X server" icon="mini-x.xpm">restartwm</Program>
<Restart label="Restart JWM" icon="mini-windows.xpm"/>
I guess I can bang my own version of places or bookmarks menu in there above help, but why do I not show any contents of the actual programmes that should be available in each submenu? Does this file only define the MAJOR structure, and some other file defines the MINOR structure containing the details of each individual programme? (I recall some thread from Mobeus about xdg menus so maybe I should hunt that down...)

I also learnt that running fixmenus deletes all the changes I make directly to /root/.jwmrc
Lesson learnt.
if you want your menus permanent and can deal with the existing menu structure, just place whatever shortcuts you have (menu or program) where you want them in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, which at least gives you a clue as to the relative position of your placement(s).

there are files to mess around with in /etc/xdg/menus, i guess, but i haven't chanced it yet. looks like it may be the place to look, though. anyway, i like my menu the way it is, with the entire original menu compressed into one line. my workaround for fixmenus is to right click copy .jwmrc (add something to the file before the period and press enter) after every major change or restructuring. then, if i have to run fixmenus or install/uninstall something, i do that as normal, then go back to the renamed .jwmrc file, remove what i added to the file name, resave, and restart jwm. everything is saved and updated. it's not ideal, but it works.

i've been saving all my keyboard shortcuts in jwmrc-personal, which is in .jwm along with jwmrc-personal2, jwmrc-theme, jwmrc-personal, jwmrc-personal-bak, and the jwm themes folder. i'm guessing you could add menu items there as well, but...i haven't tried to yet. i think that's also where you might put the info for custom/additional root menus, something i haven't yet been able to successfully implement (i think they may need to be bound to a menu button or something more substantial than a shortcut key--my menu just flashed hugely before my eyes at a pace that made it a bit scary, a bit amusing, and not at all useful.) anyway, that would be another solution: your own menu to pop up when you want it.

so until the more knowledgeable chime in, that's the way to keep your custom menu. accept the structure and go the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc route, or get full customization and have to do the copy/rename trick with root/.jwmrc.

hth.

musher0

#44 Post by musher0 »

@greengekk

Copy my "Places" submenu just above the "help" program line, and save.
Works for me!

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

MochiMoppel

#45 Post by MochiMoppel »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:... the entire original menu compressed into one line. my workaround for fixmenus is to right click copy .jwmrc (add something to the file before the period and press enter) after every major change or restructuring. then, if i have to run fixmenus or install/uninstall something, i do that as normal, then go back to the renamed .jwmrc file, remove what i added to the file name, resave, and restart jwm. everything is saved and updated. it's not ideal, but it works.
Again I'm completely lost. With all this jumping around and the lengthy full quotes this thread is hard to follow and I have no idea what you have or want to achieve. "compressed into one line"? And what is this rename business? Surely unnecessary, but without knowing your current main menu it's hard to propose alternatives.

Puppus Dogfellow

#46 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

MochiMoppel wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:... the entire original menu compressed into one line. my workaround for fixmenus is to right click copy .jwmrc (add something to the file before the period and press enter) after every major change or restructuring. then, if i have to run fixmenus or install/uninstall something, i do that as normal, then go back to the renamed .jwmrc file, remove what i added to the file name, resave, and restart jwm. everything is saved and updated. it's not ideal, but it works.
Again I'm completely lost. With all this jumping around and the lengthy full quotes this thread is hard to follow and I have no idea what you have or want to achieve. "compressed into one line"? And what is this rename business? Surely unnecessary, but without knowing your current main menu it's hard to propose alternatives.
"compressed into one line" as in i have something like
<Menu label="original menu" icon="" height="16">

[the entire original menu with many of my own menus buried within the extant categories, plus what ever menus and submenus i added outside it, under it, within it, etc]

</Menu>
in most of my machines' .jwmrc files.

the rename business is related to the fact that i don't know how to make the _root_.jwmrc file act exactly like the .jwmrc file--i have no idea how to embed the existing menus into one another or make my own menus into submenus of what's already there. since i know that .jwmrc allows it, i back mine up (rename a copy) and overwrite (rename it back) the "fixmenued" .jwmrc after installation/uninstallation of files/after fixmenus does its thing.

in short, it wouldn't be an issue if i knew how to edit the menus themselves in _root_.jwmrc (or wherever it supposed to be done) and not just the spaces around them. i supposed an additional root menu or two would also accomplish what i want.

greengeek

#47 Post by greengeek »

I think I'm finally getting to grips with this...

I added a combo of mushers jwmrc snippet with fragments of the UUID code (all added into the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc file) then did a fixmenus and jwm restart and I'm really happy with the outcome so far:
Attachments
Newplacesmenu_.jpg
(74.41 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

musher0

#48 Post by musher0 »

Way to go, greengeek! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#49 Post by musher0 »

MochiMoppel wrote:
musher0 wrote:The following little script will open the Puppy's "home", meaning: the folder in
/mnt/home where the main Puppy sfs is located.
Hi musher0, why don't you put your script directly into the menu? This one-liner is not much longer than the path to your script :lol:

I propose:

<Program label="Puppy's Home" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ; rox "/mnt/$PDEV1$PSUBDIR"</Program>
(...)

This is how my /mnt looks after a fresh boot:
Hello, MochiMoppel.

I tried your $PDEV1 trick and it didn't work for me. That's why I composed my script.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

MochiMoppel

#50 Post by MochiMoppel »

musher0 wrote:I tried your $PDEV1 trick and it didn't work for me.
Strange. Are you using Precise 5.6? I remember that this version didn't write a value for PDEV1 into /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and I considered it a bug, fixed in 5.7.

My etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE contains

PUPMODE=5
PDEV1='sdb1'
DEV1FS='vfat'
PUPSFS='sdb1,vfat,/pup_slacko/puppy_slacko_5.6.sfs'
PUPSAVE=''
PSUBDIR='/pup_slacko'
Everything needed for the code is in there. If PDEV1 is empty, you can still grep it from PUPSFS.