ROX icons jump to right edge on xwin restart???

Using applications, configuring, problems
BruceB

ROX icons jump to right edge on xwin restart???

#1 Post by BruceB »

I am running Puppy 1.0.9, remastered with some of my changes, and somehow I screwed something up. The remaster script I am using is based on remaster by alienx, with a few changes not related to ROX (or at least, not intended to be related to ROX).

I have played with /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin a bit. I note that it is dynamic, i.e. when you drag something on the desktop, it is changed. I made some changes in a copy of PuppyPin in another directory, dropped out of xwin to the prompt, and copied the changed PuppyPin back into the above location.

When I run xwin, all the icons that were on the left edge (x="32") come up at the right edge (x="992"), but the rest of the icons remain where I put them. Wierd. Rebooting also does this. If I simply drag the icons around and reboot, I get the same behavior, so it is not simply my manual editing of PuppyPin.

I have read through the ROX-Filer documentation, including that on the ROX home site, but not the source (yet). I have also tried to see any changes made since I last remastered, and can see none related to ROX.

Any hints or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Barry added a script that re-arranges the icons depending on the resolution.
To deactivate it, comment this line in /root/.xinitrc:
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7
to
#/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

If I recall rightly, it's the 'xlock' icon that is moved to the right side.
Any other icons in the same column as xlock will also be moved.

BruceB

Problem solved

#4 Post by BruceB »

Almost too easy, but not when you don't know where to look!

I couldn't figure out what these icons had in common, but (1) I had moved the xlock icon all the way to the left, and (2) 5 other system-related icons were in the same column. I had tried moving the set into roughly the third column from the left, thinking that some script was detecting them as outside of the displayable range or something like that, and they still moved to the right all together. It was a real mystery.

Thanks very much for your help.

alienjeff

ROX icons jump to right side of screen

#5 Post by alienjeff »

I had this problem with a 1.08r1 HDD install which nearly drove me to drink. Having tried nearly everything, including installing another instance of 1.08r1 in another partition and copying "virgin" ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/* files over to the original install. After innocently shuffling the icons around to my liking, I'd experience the same problem. Grrrrrrr!

After many cycles of moving icons and restarting X, I believe I found an important symptom: apparently 1.08r1 wants to "see" the xlock icon on the right-most position on the screen. I can move the other icons wherever I want them and they will stay put, providing xlock remains on the far right position of the screen!

Haven't tried the "fix" posted earlier, but felt it only responsible to let all concerned know of my findings.