Video resolution won't go higher than 1024x768

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
jacatone

Video resolution won't go higher than 1024x768

#1 Post by jacatone »

Trying out Slacko 5.7 but can't get my resolution any higher than 1024x768. I have a GeForce 256 DDR video card and I know it can go much higher. How would I fix this?

puppy_apprentice

#2 Post by puppy_apprentice »

You have to edit your configuration file for X (use X configuration app from Puppy menu) in monitor and graphics card sections. Try my values for Riva TNT2 M64 (they work nice for my card and monitor with nouveau driver) but choose your desired resolution.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 620#767620

You can try to boot Knoppix LiveCD and check the best values for you (you will find them in KDE system info or similar place) - Knoppix is good in recognizing hardware.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello jacatone.

GeForce is an nvidia product, right? Have you tried running xorgwizard in the initial
black console (Alt-Ctrl-Backspace brings you there). Press the choose button. Then
you are offered the choice of the nouveau or nv drivers for nvidia video cards. Reboot
if necessary (if the Puppy doesn't do it automatically).

Upon reboot, a confirmation screen appears, presenting you with a wider choice of
resolutions.

I'm writing this on a Puppy Precise 5.7.1 and I am getting 1280x1024 res. from a very
old mmx GeForce 4400 with 64 Mg only, using the "simple" nv driver. So you may be
offered even better resolutions. (Although res. capacity depends on the monitor
capacity, too.)

I hope this helps.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)