VLC 2.1.6 for Dpup Wheezy

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Without having your setup in front of me it is difficult to troubleshoot and I can really only offer speculation and guesswork.

What I would say is that this VLC was compiled from source in Dpup Wheezy so will be linked against the libraries in that distro. Some of the plugins are statically linked but stuff like the libav/ffmpeg libs probably won't be. I would expect some of the libs in Unicorn to be different. Precise was quite close to Wheezy so most of the stuff works in that. With other pups it is highly experimental and even more important to take precautions as mentioned in the first post.

Does Puppy Unicorn have its own VLC and were you using that?

If you were downloading or streaming a video over a dodgy web link it is possible that you were also downloading a stack of other data which filled up the partition and shut you down.
Oscar in England

8-bit

#32 Post by 8-bit »

The version of Unicorn Puppy I am using was compiled by Barry K and VLC was included in it. So I would have assumed that Barry compiled VLC for that flavor. As to the WEB extension on the file that was downloaded using GTK_Youtube_Viewer and I had added it.
I am unsure of what type of file a WEB file is as to if it is a streaming file or more like an MP3 file.
But for the file to crash VLC and also Unicorn Puppy to the extent it did, I am playing that video no more and have deleted it.

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:@ phredo,

OK, so I took the VLC 2.1.0 and re-packaged it with the needed Qt libs and set rpath to find them.

Perhaps you would care to test this (taking usual precautions before installing) and tell me if it plays your files.

vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14
Uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
but I will probably take them down after you have grabbed them.
Hi Oscar - is this pet still available? I have exactly the same issue that phredo had and would be keen to try this solution if available. cheers!

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello greengeek,

The package is still in my smokey01 space as .sfs but not sure if you need .pet or if you can convert. I didn't compile the original vlc package for this, it was in the Slacko repos somewhere. I just added the Qt to make it work without that dependency. It should play most of the common formats but not sure about the latest ones like hevc/h265. My latest gmplayer builds will play those very well so long as you enable multiple CPU cores.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Oscar. That sfs did the trick. I must have overlooked it as I was originally looking for a pet. MP4s now playing without issues. I will convert the sfs and be happy as Larry. cheers!

bruno

Plugin in Firefox

#36 Post by bruno »

It works great, but how do I get the VLC plugin in Firefox?

OscarTalks

Re: Plugin in Firefox

#37 Post by OscarTalks »

bruno wrote:It works great, but how do I get the VLC plugin in Firefox?
Is this in Wheezy?
I am not sure about this but try installing the package "browser-plugin-vlc"
Try via PPM or from packages.debian.org here:-
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/browser-plugin-vlc
This is the NPAPI plugin which goes in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
I just extracted the one lib file libvlcplugin.so from the .deb and placed it in that location.
Tested briefly and played an mp3 audio stream in Firefox.
Attachments
vlc-plugin.jpg
This is the VLC plugin from the official .DEB for Wheezy in Firefox
(45.19 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Oscar in England

bruno

vlc plugin

#38 Post by bruno »

Hello Oskar, yes, I'm using Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11
I just installed the VLC plugin 2.1.6 from PPM, and it is now installed in FF48, but it doesn't seem to work. It opens the VLC window, with the traffic cone, but it plays no sound, and the slider doesn't move.
I tried it on this website: http://www.thesoundarchive.com/ with MP3 and WAV sounds. When I download the file, then VLC plays it without problem

OscarTalks

#39 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Bruno,
I can confirm that those clips on that website do not play in the browser for me either with the VLC plugin but other audio and video at other websites and media URL's do work fine. Seems to be just a case of that specific website not working with that specific plugin.

I also have gecko media player 1.0.9 plugin compiled in Wheezy in my repo. If I activate that it plays those clips on that website. Always good to have alternatives so if one program doesn't work you can try something else.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

bruno

VLC plugin

#40 Post by bruno »

Thanks Oscar, now all is working, when VLC can't play it, the Gecko player takes over