Firefox won't let me save downloads where I want them to go.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Ironman5791

Firefox won't let me save downloads where I want them to go.

#1 Post by Ironman5791 »

Hello, I am a new user and I am having trouble with downloading stuff from Firefox. This is my problem when I click on a download using Mozilla it says "Open with, and save file" when i click save file it goes to the download default download page and doesn't allow me to choose a destination for the download. Of the few days I've had puppy linux it has worked fine.

Thank you in advance for all y'alls help and support. Have a nice day!!! :)

P.S.- I'm pretty sure I haven't deleted anything important and I emptied the trash can.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

What version are you using?

Are you running firefox as "spot". If so, then you can only save files in /root/spot. This is a linux security thing.

Ironman5791

#3 Post by Ironman5791 »

dancytron wrote:What version are you using?

Are you running Firefox as "spot". If so, then you can only save files in /root/spot. This is a Linux security thing.
I am running Slacko 5.7.0, also I have spot in my root but i don't know if i am running Firefox as spot. When i click it nothing shows up except the image icon and a text file. But It didn't do it before.
What should I do?

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

Ironman5791, Welcome to the forum.
I am having trouble with downloading stuff from Firefox. This is my problem when I click on a download using Mozilla it says "Open with, and save file" when i click save file it goes to the download default download page and doesn't allow me to choose a destination for the download.
Have you tried going into the browser's setup, usually under Edit, Preferences, Downloads, then selecting a folder in which to place your files?

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

EDIT, PREFERENCES, General Tab, Download section also has the option to set 'Always ask me where to save files', but by default that's not checked/set.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

EDIT, PREFERENCES, General Tab, Download section also has the option to set 'Always ask me where to save files', but by default that's not checked/set.
another one i notice if you do keep getting an annoying default folder instead of a wanted one then set a better default and then uncheck it... so at least if it ignores your settings ( a firefox feature introduced with versions after 1.5 lol ) it will be closer to where you want to be.

This may also be being affected by settings in the application handling tab.

mike

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

I sometimes use a right click on the file I want to download and select Save AS. This allows me to choose a directory for the download.
This is with Seamonkey though.
I am not sure if it would apply to Firefox.

Ironman5791

#8 Post by Ironman5791 »

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I did the edit thing and it showed me where it is downloading to. Thank you. :D