debian wheezy and precise 5.7.2 kernel 3.13.9-pae

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

debian wheezy and precise 5.7.2 kernel 3.13.9-pae

#1 Post by stemsee »

I just built debian wheezy using woof ce, self compiled kernel 3.13.9-emsee-pae, It's rather nice.

I also built precise 5.7.1 yesterday with the same kernel and ubuntu precise updates. both shared from my google drive.

wheezy
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... edit?usp=1

kernel source sfs

precise-ce

Let me know how you like them.

stemsee
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 10:02, edited 3 times in total.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello stemsee,

Nice to see that you are building puplets with Woof CE.
Do I have to have a Google account to be able to download those?

I use Dpup Wheezy quite a lot.
What would be especially interesting is if you could build a Debian Jessie puplet from the "Testing" packages.
Oscar in England

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Hi stemsee; I noticed that you posted in the DebianDog thread.

I`m wondering if your Puplet works well with apt-get and Synaptic.?
I would think this is critical to the Puplets longevity and usefulness.

PFan

#4 Post by PFan »

Hi Stemsee. I woukd really like to try this. What name and password do we need to use for the download?

stemsee

google drive

#5 Post by stemsee »

I just checked the links they are now working normally!

They are shared on the web from my google drive so no password or account is needed.

Sunburnt - I just added apt and synaptic i will upload a new iso soon.

Also how to get udev to pass input devices to xinput list.

thanks stemsee

ally

#6 Post by ally »

the wheezy build mirrored here:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... temsee.iso

and precise here:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... _5.7.1.iso

the google drive links will be much quicker so use them while they are still valid

:)

stemsee

EmSee-2nd-Edition.iso

#7 Post by stemsee »

[img]/mnt/sda2/root/capture12340.png

EmSee-2nd-Edition.iso 3GB - now uploading. Updates and fixes include- removed- minitube. added- kvkbd, updated:- reaper, wine to 1.7.15, LibreOffice 4.2.3, virtualbox 4.3.10, Ardour 3.5-357-dbg, fixed qjackctl/jackd2/1 , uodated base system with precise-ce-5.7.1, it's much better!! Kernel 3.13.9-EmSee-pae for frugal and/or full install, and 3.14.1-EmSee-rt1-pae for full installs only. It now boots to desktop and presents kvkbd, quicksetup, and frisbee wifi ap selector, after closing these Chromium opens with 5 tabs pointing to popular sites, also Pup Menu opens reveaing all hidden apps installed.

tried to insert screen shots but no luck!

stemsee

peebee

#8 Post by peebee »

I think the puppy_precise-ce_5.7.1.iso iso is very large 994MB because it contains the unpacked sfs squashfs-root, as well as the sfs itself....

Looking really good - only slight problem I had on my HP550 laptop was the screen froze black during boot after Detecting media devices - until I pressed Return when it completed boot.

then on shutdown a message about a missing /etc/rc.d/local2 flashes up.

and on reboot after pupsave creation, the desktop has disappeared and all the icons are red error triangles.

Also seems to be some icons missing in the menu.

I would like to compile the Broadcom wl.ko driver for the new kernel - any chance of making the kernel source available?

I have been able to install LxPup-by-SFS successfully - Openbox, LxPanelX, PcManFM.....

Great to have a new Pup with a recent kernel.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenie.png
(59.05 KiB) Downloaded 2437 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

PeeBee

#9 Post by stemsee »

Oops! Doing too many things at once!! I will post the correct iso for precise - i made three versions with an experiment - in my haste to make it available I made the error!! If you edit /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and move '. /etc/rc.d/rc.local2' to near the end of the script before all unmount or delete that line and and remove rc.local2 and delete ramdisk creation from rc.local. Then it will be pristine!

source sfs

precise-ce

fingers crossed!
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 10:03, edited 3 times in total.

peebee

#10 Post by peebee »

Tried the Wheezy iso....

This time booted to a desktop with no intervention - but there was no panel or systray....could get to the menu by right-click desktop

Thanks for the kernel source - was able to compile the Broadcom wl driver - however either the devx or kernel source is putting things into /lib/modules/3.13.9 rather than 3.13.9-emcee-pae so that had to be sorted first by moving things across.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sunburnt

#11 Post by sunburnt »

No problem with the oops stemsee; We all make boo boos from time to time.

When posting pics, they have to be less than 600x600 to show on the page.

mavrothal

#12 Post by mavrothal »

Hi stemsee,
Are you using the master or the testing branch of woof-CE for your builds?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stemsee

Menu

#13 Post by stemsee »

PeeBee

There is no menu, but the image you are showing is Wheezy not precise...precise has a menu.

on wheezy just install jwm tray from ppm - or lxpanel or whatever , but i like it with out a tray. try right clicking on a file or directory for a great menu.

Mavrothal - I used Master - with my own modifications, although minor. there is a bug or two. It loops in ./1choosepackages - i let it loop all night!!! Then i closed term and opened a new term and ./1download without choosing packages. In kernel kit build.conf edit download site to http://www.kernel.org for cutting edge kernels, but you need to create your own DOTconfig-* config file and place in extra configs folder- I also tried applying rt patches but conflict with aufs patches.

600x600 ok! Got It .. this is EmSee-Linux-2nd-Edition

peebee

Re: Menu

#14 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:on wheezy just install jwm tray from ppm - or lxpanel or whatever , but i like it with out a tray. try right clicking on a file or directory for a great menu.
Oh - OK - just a bit of a surprise :oops:

OscarTalks

#15 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Stemsee,

Testing your Woof-CE Wheezy build and looks pretty good.
I added the JWM tray.
Not sure why we end up with remaining references to 3.5.2 though.
The main Puppy .sfs as well as the .iso is named as 3.5.2.9

I notice also that you have the ndiswraper.ko in /lib/modules/3.5.2-dpup
but you are using your own new kernel.
I don't think the 3.5.2 one will work. You will need to compile a new one against your 3.13.9 kernel (or if that one was compiled by you then I think it is in the wrong place).
Attachments
stemsee-wheezy.jpg
Don't think the 3.5.2-dpup directory should be there any more
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 2200 times
Oscar in England

stemsee

Not Mine

#16 Post by stemsee »

Yes I noticed that 3.5.9 mod folder, it wasn't mine, it must haave been in the skeleton.

I hadn't altered the Distro-Pkgs-Specs in anyway - this was truly a first experiment building a dpup on woof-ce ... I only had to comment out deb.mulimedia-.org repos and add a few packages and build my own kernel and package it as a pet, as the kernel kit only builds an sfs. A few other minor things...It was luck that it came out so nice! So I am not surprised to see some bugs. I have built a couple more since then, with up to date kernels and more customization, but I m still learning about the woof-ce environment and how to add various packages at various stages of the build, and also other alterations on-the-fly,especially to Status files!

Glad you like it.

I just found that my precise-ce doesn't do a full install. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers stemsee

Pelo

Casting in Pelo's Workshops, by Emtec team

#17 Post by Pelo »

Installed to day, first steps (boot and wireless without breaks, was easy and fluent)
Forum is searching its wheezy, this one is in my casting list this week to succeed upup Van Pup, no longer supported by starhawk.
Firefox , small text editor and spreadsheet have been kept available for my sweet home needs,
PPM reloaded, seems some repository don't load.
This Puppy is still a friendly one..
Derivatives : in french, 'deriver' means ship having lost their route, their way, due to damage on sails or shell of the boat. :)
i Should say :?
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 08:02, edited 4 times in total.

Pelo

Nothing urgent, first try to find users of stable ones...

#18 Post by Pelo »

"I use Dpup Wheezy quite a lot.
What would be especially interesting is if you could build a Debian Jessie puplet from the "Testing" packages."
eh minute, step by step is the better way to go. Nothing urgent, first try to find users of stable ones...
I am late in my casting schedule, there are too many Puppies born form woof. Are they suitable for public release? Let our quality department time to test.

Puppy is famous until now for it's speed and useful applications for home usage.
What would happen if no keyboard, no wireless, or no support to our customers, builders being escaped as thieves once the woof puppy published ?
A 'jessie' Puplet will soon be available, but make sure that Puppy 'wheezy' is safe and stable.. Hummmm, not sure for all puplets. Look at the forum the last post for each one.
A lot of builders failed in their try to make their baby standing up...
Attachments
derivative.jpeg
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 384 times

stemsee

#19 Post by stemsee »

It is on a voluntary basis only ... clearly impossible to maintain every pup I have built, and their kernels and custom apps! Would be a challenge even if funded!!

Pelo

5.7.1 by shinobar should not be a bad idea.. .

#20 Post by Pelo »

Ok stemsee, we know that you cannot do everything .. The fact that that is worrying you makes you be welcome everywhere.
Precise should be an LTS as Lucid is. Which version to choose ? 5.7.1 by shinobar should not be a bad idea.. .
When these Puppies are installed on networks, for several passengers, often, non Linux experts, the distributer prefers updating them than to change to a newer version, were lot of things still have to be corrected.
ToOpPy and Triton are in that case, in France. ASRI EDU was too, but the administrators moved to Primtux, based on Debian.
Stable and LTS is what people really using daily their Puppy like.
Devs can play to make new versions, but a stable version is essential.
Puppus Dogfellow Precise evolution
Attachments
shinobar.jpg
Hungarian flavour
(68.01 KiB) Downloaded 136 times