Is Legacy OS 2 faster on your Hardware then Xubuntu?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

Is Legacy OS 2 faster on your Hardware then Xubuntu?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone who've tried any Legacy 2 series version. My my own personally experience Legacy runs faster on Pentium III's and early Pentium 4's then Xubuntu does. I know I can install Legacy on a 128mb of Ram PC but haven't had much luck with Xubuntu on the same machine.

I have one Pentium 4 running Xubuntu 14.04 with a 128mb graphics card and video playback is just acceptable. I also have a 500mb celeron setup for the kids to play avi's on it running Legacy and all play perfectly on this old machine.

To settle an argument on another forum please give your experience good and bad.
Now this is only a contest between Legacy OS 2 series and Xubuntu 10.04 up.

What the argument is how easy to install both Legacy and Xubuntu on Pentium III's and video playback of avi's, mpeg's etc.

Also are you using Legacy OS where there isn't Internet connection and are only using it because of all the Applications / codecs included.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

mavrothal

#2 Post by mavrothal »

The only Xubuntu that boots my "hardware" (ie VPC7 on 64bit PPC) is Xubuntu 6.06LTS (2.20+ kernels fail on this system).
LegacyOS2.1 is twice as fast as Xubuntu in booting and opening apps. ie boot to Desktop 80 vs 160 sec. Abiword 6 vs 12 sec.
This is not a general I/O or setup related delay since Opera-9.64-static opens in 11 sec vs 10 in Legacy.
I do not know if later Ubuntus had speed improvements (my experience from other hardware argues against that) but LegacyOS2.1 really beats the crap out of Xubuntu.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

partsman

#3 Post by partsman »

Hello john biles :D
Well I don't have Xubuntu installed on my p4 right now "use too" I have installed LegacyOS2.1 on it and Your darn right its faster !! FOR SURE :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Maybe I should say "How does Legacy OS 2 compare with other Distro's you've tried on old Hardware" as there hasn't be many replies. Thanks to those who did.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

umair

#5 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:Hello Everyone,
Maybe I should say "How does Legacy OS 2 compare with other Distro's you've tried on old Hardware" as there hasn't be many replies. Thanks to those who did.
Hi John:
I downloaded the Leagacy OS 2.1. I have an old Dell D815 Pentium-III with 512 MB RAM. Not tried yet but I installed your Legacy OS 2 and Legacy OS Gamer on it. Legacy OS Gamer is more polished compare to Legacy OS. I also installed xubutnu 10.04 on the same system. As far as comparing with xubuntu in terms of speed, I can say easily that Legacy OS is Faster. Installation process of xubuntu is user friendly thn Legacy OS. It would be better idea if GRUB4DOS menu runs itself after installing Legacy to HDD. Also if you improve some minor problems Thn its would be an outstanding Distribution for old PCs. One minor issue which I noticed in Legacy OS Gamer is that if the system shut's down improperly due to power failure or anything else, it takes to the shell prompt. thn every time I have to type xwin every time to rum x windows.
Anyhow, I will try 2.1 LTS soon n will update you. :)
Thanks
UMAIR

James C

#6 Post by James C »

No direct testing comparisons because any of the Buntu's pretty much won't even boot on the old P3 boxes where 2.1 LTS and 2.1 Gamer work fine.So Legacy is faster by default. :)