How to use Pipelight in Lucid? (to watch Netflix)

Using applications, configuring, problems
lavery1109

How to use Pipelight in Lucid? (to watch Netflix)

#1 Post by lavery1109 »

I did a search of the topics and didn't get a result. So I hope I'm not missing that this has already been asked and answered. Can someone direct me to how to install Pipelight on Puppy, to use Netflix? I have the instructions for how to do it with Ubuntu, but it uses sudo apt-get and it's my understanding that I don't have the apt-get command on puppy. Any help would be appreciated.

solo

#2 Post by solo »

Judging by this page the Pipelight package seems unavailable for the Lucid kernel.
There is one for Precise.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/pm/pipelight

lavery1109

Is Anyone using Precise Puppy with Pipelight for Netflix?

#3 Post by lavery1109 »

Thank you for your reply. I've been doing web searches on the issue, but I'm not seeing much about Puppy with Pipelight. Is anyone using Pipelight on Precise Puppy to watch Netflix? I'm trying to replace an XP computer for my 9 year old, it's only purpose is to watch video. I really want to use Puppy rather than a Ubuntu distro. But if it's a lost cause, then I'll switch.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

I would consider try to jump through various entangled hoops to try and get silverlight working just to please netflix when there are hundreds of video sites that can be used with standard software no problem a lost cause.

mike

solo

#5 Post by solo »

I can't say that I have any experience with Pipelight, but from what I can tell, it is a bit of a particular process to get Netflix going.
First you need Wine installed, so you can pretend to be a Windows-machine, and then this Pipelight enables you to use plugins on a browser running through Wine, which are really designed for Windows.
And when you want Netflix, you'll have to change your user agent on top of that, so that Netflix believes you are not a Linux User.

In your case, I fear you'll have to either change to Ubuntu or Puppy Precise, because Puppy Lucid doesn't seem to have a compatable Pipelight version.

If that is all the machine is going to be used for, I'd say make it easy on yourself and pick the easiest solution you can find.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Yes just take my remarks as 'there are easier options'

The silverlight route may still involve using mono to provide .net functionality...this is all borne out of microsofts desire to make a windows only replacement for adobe flash.

Its awkward because it was designed to be...and netflix are supporting it.

mike

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

well if netflix is deliberately making it difficult for you..... there's always xbmc with the icefilms plugin :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

lavery1109

Precise - xbmc, iceflims

#8 Post by lavery1109 »

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like I'll be switching over to Precise this weekend and trying out Xbmc and Icefilms. I've used Xbmc before on a HTPC in my own room and thought it was pretty cool. I didn't need it so I wiped the machine and parted it out over time. Wish I had it now.