InkscapeLite compilation problems.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
johnfound

InkscapeLite compilation problems.

#1 Post by johnfound »

Hi all. I have a problem compiling InkscapeLite on Linux Mint. I downloaded the sources (inkscapelite-0.36.3.tar.gz) and tried to compile it. At first there was an error: gcc: error: unrecognized option '--export-dynamic'. I fixed (?) it by replacing --export-dynamic with -rdynamic option, according to an answer on StackOverflow.

After compilation, the program works actually, but most of the toolbar and menu icons are missing (replaced by black/random rectangles).

What I am missing?
Attachments
inkscape.png
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

johnfound

#2 Post by johnfound »

BTW, after installing Lucid Puppy 5.28, I noticed, that one of the icons (the lower icon on the tool palette - IIRC it is the color picker tool) is wrong as well - it was the same as the text tool (the previous icon).

MochiMoppel

#3 Post by MochiMoppel »

johnfound wrote:BTW, after installing Lucid Puppy 5.28, I noticed, that one of the icons (the lower icon on the tool palette - IIRC it is the color picker tool) is wrong as well - it was the same as the text tool (the previous icon).
I hope it doesn't come as a surprise that this necro SW has problems in other Puppies as well.
Precise 5.7: The color picker button can magically assume any icon image, including your not appreciated black. The zoom icon (bottom left) can assume funny patterns. All icons appear unsharp.
Slacko 5.7: Icons are sharp and don't change their appearance, but as in Precise the X-scale at the top fills with artifacts with every mouse movement, so does the Y-scale at the left, which is almost invisible, so it doesn't matter anyway.
Puppy 4.2: Perfect. Bottomline: ancient SW runs best on an ancient OS. Which makes me wonder why you try so hard to revive this dead horse. The current version and the old lite version are worlds apart in functionality and usability.
Attachments
ink_precise5.7_black.png
(27.19 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
ink_precise5.7.png
(33.1 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
ink_slacko5.7.png
(22.73 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
ink_puppy4.2.png
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 493 times

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:. The current version and the old lite version are worlds apart in functionality and usability.
Which current version is the best one to get - do you mean Inkscape full, or just a newer version of Inkscapelite?

MochiMoppel

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

There is no newer version of InkscapeLite. It was a one-time-only project. The current stable version is 0.48.4. (full version). PETs are available for most Puppy flavors. I use 0.48.3 for Slacko.

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for explaining this. I always wondered what caused the edge artifacts when you moved the mouse across the page. Never had much success with Lite so I will give the full version a go.

amigo

#7 Post by amigo »

The reason for using the old version was because it has *way* less dependencies than the newer versions. However, BK's hack of the original sources was really poor -and that's why things work so weird or not at all. The original (old) sources work much better.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

For the icons :

Code: Select all

strace inkscapelite 2>inkscpelite.strace
geany inkscpelite.strace
should open a huge file which should show look ups for icons like
access("/usr/share/inkscape/join_miter.xpm", F_OK) = 0

So the icons are in /usr/share/inkscape/ directory .
Of course, check if they are there or in /usr/local/share/inkscape .

Other than this, your libxpm* might not work as it should .