Ext. wireless adapter TP-LINK WN422G (ocf3:1006)

tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

Mike7, I suspect your inability to post is due to:

- an irregular character in the message body, or a combination of characters.

- you're typing from a computer with a character set which the forum doesn't accept (non UTF-8 ?).

In any case, you should problably email the webmaster, John Murga
john <AT> murga <DOT> org

Mike7

#17 Post by Mike7 »

Tempestuous-

It appears to be intermittent.

I have tried three different OS (Puppeee, Tiny Core Linux, and WindowsXP), each with a different browser, and the same thing always (almost) happens. Plus I have no problem posting to other forums. And I never had this problem before in this forum.

I think there's a glitch in the forum server.

I will email John Murga as you suggest.

Cheers.

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Mike7

#18 Post by Mike7 »

Tempestuous-

Okay, since the last post DID get sent, I am posting this reply once more. I'll split it into two parts in case there is a character problem (although I don't see any).

Part 1
No. It's a mini-PCI card, which is actually removable - once the Eee's rear pannel is removed.
I stand corrected.
I can say that generally wifi drivers are written either for USB-based devices, or PCI/Cardbus devices. I don't write driver code, myself, and I don't know the reason(s).
Live and learn.
here's how to confirm exactly which device ID's are supported by the ath9k driver: run this command -

Code: Select all

modinfo ath9k
You will see a long list of supported (PCI) device ID's. Note that your device ID, 0CF3:1006, is not listed.

# modinfo ath9k
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.33.2atom/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko
license:        Dual BSD/GPL
description:    Support for Atheros 802.11n wireless LAN cards.
author:         Atheros Communications
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Esv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Dsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd00000029sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd00000027sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd00000024sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v0000168Cd00000023sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        ath9k_hw,mac80211,ath,cfg80211,ath9k_common
vermagic:       2.6.33.2atom SMP preempt mod_unload ATOM 
parm:           nohwcrypt:Disable hardware encryption (int)
parm:           debug:Debugging mask (uint)
Which are the supported device IDs?
Actually, I think you have it around the wrong way - the v1 has the Zydas chip, the v2 has the Atheros chip. Refer -
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN422G_v1
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN422G_v2
... but it all comes down to device ID - your device ID of 0CF3:1006 requires the ath9k_htc driver. Period.
I see that you are correct about this.

(cont'd)
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Mike7

#19 Post by Mike7 »

Tempestuous-

Looks like the first part was sent okay. Now for the second part (which previews alright now that I removed a coupla extraneous characters at the end of the first URL).

What about this:
http://kostikovst.blogspot.com.ar/2012/ ... wi-fi.html
Which says:
download compat-wireless for your kernel version

then

$ tar xvfj compat-wireless-2.6.36-5-spn.tar.bz2
$ cd compat-wireless-2.6.36-5-spn/
$ ./scripts/driver-select ath9k_htc
$ make && sudo make install
$ reboot
That seems to be a way of getting ath9k_htc. But would it work with my Puppeee kernel?

Or maybe http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc

and firmware here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/download/htc ... tc_9271.fw ?

Or how about ndiswrapper to use the WinXP driver? Is that a possible solution?
Sorry, but these alternatives don't interest me. I like Puppeee4.4-atom and want to keep using it.
Yep, a significant proportion of members here seem to have a similarly inflexible attitude.
Glad to know I'm not alone <grin>.
The bottom line is that under Puppeee 4.4 you will not be able to get a native Linux driver for your current USB wifi adapter.
Hard to believe.
So you might consider changing to a different USB wifi dongle - one which doesn't require an "exotic" driver such as the ath9k_htc ...
The TP-Link was a common external network adapter of the period, or so I thought. WindowsXP and Tiny Core Linux have drivers for it. (I feel like I'm plagued with bad luck.)
or you could even consider replacing the internal wifi card with a better model - I've read that the Ralink-based cards used in earlier model Eee's are quite good ... possibly better than the Atheros-based cards??
Asus replaced a good card with an inferior one? I wonder why. A deal with Atheros?

Cheers.

Mike

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

Mike7 wrote:Which are the supported device IDs?
All lines which start with "alias: pci:" If we refer to the first line -

alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000002Esv*sd*bc*sc*i*
The relevant part of that line is the 8 characters which follow "v" (vendor) and the 8 characters which follow "d" (device) thus:
0000168C 0000002E
Now drop the redundant first 4 characters of each value:
168C 002E - there's your device ID.

Mike7 wrote:What about this:
Yes, that's an entire rebuild of the kernel's wifi drivers, and there's a fair chance of success ...
but the process is complicated, and in order to do it you must install the development libraries (devx) compatible with Puppeee, and you must also install the kernel sources compatible with Puppeee. Apparently these downloads were previously available here -
http://puppeee.com/files/sources/
but that site has been taken down.

Mike7 wrote:how about ndiswrapper to use the WinXP driver? Is that a possible solution?
Sure. Try it.

Mike7

#21 Post by Mike7 »

Tempestuous-
168C 002E - there's your device ID.
Great. Very useful.
Mike7 wrote:What about this:
Yes, that's an entire rebuild of the kernel's wifi drivers, and there's a fair chance of success ...
but the process is complicated, and in order to do it you must install the development libraries (devx) compatible with Puppeee, and you must also install the kernel sources compatible with Puppeee. Apparently these downloads were previously available here -
http://puppeee.com/files/sources/
but that site has been taken down.
I won't attempt it.
how about ndiswrapper to use the WinXP driver? Is that a possible solution?
Sure. Try it.
Okay, I will. Sounds like the only thing that might work.

Thanks!

Mike