Firefox keeps updating

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

Firefox keeps updating

#1 Post by jacatone »

Because I'm in a rural area, I still use dialup. I notice Firefox keeps updating even though I've disabled updates in the Options section. Anyone know how to stop this thing?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What version of Firefox?

Are you selecting never check for updates?
Are you also disabling Automatically update search engine?
Have you disabled submit performance data?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

:roll: *Always* the guessing game..

jacatone

#4 Post by jacatone »

It updated to v22, but is updating again. Since I'm on dialup, it takes forever.
Don't know where this "submit performance data" feature is, I'll have to look for it.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Moz on dial-up? WOW! Prefs >> advanced >> data choices >> telemetry >> UNTICK!

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

jacatone - You may want to consider using Opera Mini with that dial-up connection for general browsing. It's fast because the data gets compressed and you save massively on data usage. You need Java Runtime Environment, Microemulator and the Opera Mini files.

jacatone

#7 Post by jacatone »

Don't think Opera Mini is available for PL. Even in Windows, I can't find a standalone install. Every site that has it wants to shove their special installer program first so they can flood you with ads.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

jacatone wrote:Don't think Opera Mini is available for PL. Even in Windows, I can't find a standalone install. Every site that has it wants to shove their special installer program first so they can flood you with ads.
Opera Mini is a mobile application you use on mobile phones but you can use it on desktop by using an emulator. As mentioned you need to install JRE for it to work because it's a java application. You run it on the emulator (micro emulator) which you download (microemulator is platform independent and does not need install) and then you have to download the Opera Mini.jad and .jar files. It's only the JRE installation that is quite big, microemulator is about 1MB and the Opera MIni files about 300kb. I use this as my day to day browser. It saves up to 90% on data usage because the data goes through a proxy server (opera mini servers) and gets compressed. You can use it on windows or linux. If you want to try it, I will help you with the setup but first you will have to install Java runtime environment, there are pets available. Or you can download a JRE.sfs file which you don't have to install.