Is a Frugal install as secure as...

For discussions about security.
Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

Here it is. :D

I fail to comprehend the meaning of what I read there. :(

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

There's a simple addon for firefox called UAcontrol ...there are others.
A lot of "free wifi" spots are unencrypted for general surfing: its a tragic mistake to enter any password or conduct any business.
You fill find banks and other secure sites use https so even if the wifi is unsecured your information exchange with those sites is.

This all reminds me of the Victorian obsession with cleanliness.
They had found out that there was an invisible world of microscopic organisms and that they were in some way connected with the premature deaths of humans especially in the emerging post industrial revolution cities and towns.
Their fear of the unknown and death meant oodles of servants scrubbing their houses on a 24/7 basis to try and rid them of these miniature killers.

The real cures laid elsewhere...proper sanitation, water treatment, less malnutrition, less coal burning etc etc and a few vaccinations thrown in there... but on the whole humans have built in systems to handle the beasties as long as those humans are looked after and not overwhelmed by infestations.

thats it

mike

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @ThoriumBlvd. Please do not take this as any attack in what you have shared, as you give some good and useful advice. But there are a couple of items I want to provide a little insight for your determining if it is plausible for you to reconsider your stance. First
ThoriumBlvd wrote:...The first is the "Live CD" approach on a CD-R (NOT CD-RW). Basically run it and close it as needed. ...
The implementation in Puppy, I agree is a secure one in how the Puppy system operates. But, the ability (or disability) of CD-RWs is EXACTLY the same when Puppy Linux is run as CD-Rs. There is no difference for the operation of the system and the utilities it contains supporting information to/fro these discs. NONE! CDRW disc offers a single difference! Namely, it can be erased and rewritten many many times. Excepting that feature, there is NO difference in Live CD/DVD use, no matter if the media is -R or -RW.
ThoriumBlvd wrote:... is the AUTOMATIC wifi-on. Tsk, tsk, Tsk broadcasting "I'm Here!". ...
The problem with this statement (and this was covered in depth earlier this year) is that this IS NOT A BROADCAST! In its implementation, this technology works in a similar fashion as your ethenet cable does on your LAN. It simply is using the "air via radio waves" to find a DHCP service (from a WiFi server) for LAN connection and use. This is a similar "broadcast" as is done on your ethernet cable in your home or office. Of course, this can be debated as to whether your LAN services (wired/wireless) is of any good, but, again, that is a debate which has raged for 30 years now (remember AT&T started ethernet for PCs with IBM offering ethernet and tokenring in 1984).

Again, you offer good advice. This is just some information that you might consider as possibly useful to you in the future. Further this post is NOT to take issue, yet, is an attempt to be helpful.

Here to help