Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 15:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 19:37    Post subject:  So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.
Subject description: Why oh why do I always get the weird stuff...? >.<

OK. So I discovered a little while ago that my laptop would print a picture from Chromium, but not a whole webpage. Somehow Firefox works for the webpage (didn't test individual pictures, tho).

Here's the relevant data...
X-Slacko 1.1
Chromium 31 (specifically, the Chromium31+Pepper dotPET on this forum)
Firefox 24 (built into X-Slacko)
CUPS 1.4.8 (built into X-Slacko)
HPLIPLITE 3.13.11 (specifically, the hplip_print-3.13.11 package from one of rcrsn51's several printer threads)
Printer is an HP OfficeJet 7410

With a picture on its own webpage (eg www.whatever.com/picture.jpg) within Chromium, CUPS will print the image although the status of the job, were I to bring up localhost:631 in a browser and navigate to the page for the printer, would read something to the effect of "cannot find the system bus" which I think is rather odd.

With a full webpage within Chrome, CUPS will put that error in the status bin and refuse utterly to print absolutely anything.

Yet with Firefox... I have no problems printing entire webpages. (I did not test the printing of individual images!)

What the heck...? and how do I fix it?

jrb

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 20:47    Post subject: Re: So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.
Subject description: Why oh why do I always get the weird stuff...? >.<

starhawk wrote:
What the heck...? and how do I fix it?

Do what I did, try a different chromium build. I had the same problem in Slacko5.7.0 but switched over to peebees chromium-33.0.1750.117-lx.sfs. There are three updated chromiums in that same directory. When I get some time I'll try and see if they also print.

Good Luck, J
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 21:56    Post subject:  

Chromium 33 makes it so that you absolutely must use the "new style" Chrome/ium New Tab Page... that I absolutely loathe. That's a dealbreaker for me. I like the "old style" New Tab Page and I'm sticking with it as long as I can.

FWIW --

The "old style" New Tab Page has two separate, switchable "modes" -- a page that displays your Apps, and a page that displays your most recently-visited sites. It also has a bar at the bottom that lets you access your tab history (to a degree), your tabs on Other Chrome/ium Devices, and the Chrome Store.

The "new style" New Tab Page combines those pages into one, adds a redundant-yet-impossible-to-miss search bar with no actual purpose (except for a rather meager excuse to display the Google name prominently), relegates the tab-history and tabs-on-other-devices buttons to menu entries in the Options Menu, and relegates the Chrome Store access to an unnecessary button on my Bookmarks Bar. Ugh, no thanks.

I suppose I'll have to look for a Chrome 32 dotPET, since my feeble attempts at adding Flash (with Adobe's version, actually) to Chromium-Without-Flash have always met with downright nasty results... no, it doesn't break the browser, but it results in Flash playback that is seizure-inducing because the colors go all to #$@!^$#%^!! -- it looks as if you're trying to watch a DVD that's been scratched badly all over so that there's no intelligible content, just a mangled display of Technicolor LSD puking all over the playback area.

jrb

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Chromium 33 makes it so that you absolutely must use the "new style" Chrome/ium New Tab Page... that I absolutely loathe. That's a dealbreaker for me. I like the "old style" New Tab Page and I'm sticking with it as long as I can.

I hadn't even noticed. Some time ago I built my own html page of my favourite links and I use that as my home page. I used Seamonkeys editor to build it. I took a quick look at Chromium's new tab features early on and didn't like it as much as what I have so haven't bothered with it since.

Cheers, J
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: