DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Keisha

good custom setting in infinality-settings.sh

#721 Post by Keisha »

I'm finding this to be a good custom setting at the bottom of /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh (and change line 707 to
USE_STYLE = "CUSTOM"
)

################# CUSTOM STYLE #################
if [ "$USE_STYLE" = "CUSTOM" ]; then

export INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="7 21 40 21 7"
# export INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="11 22 38 22 11"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH="25"
# export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH="25"
# export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE="40"
#export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_USE_KNOWN_SETTINGS_ON_SELECTED_FONTS="true"
export INFINALITY_FT_CHROMEOS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_WINDOWS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH="60"
#export INFINALITY_FT_WINDOWS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_SNAP_STEM_HEIGHT="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_USE_VARIOUS_TWEAKS="true"
export INFINALITY_FT_GAMMA_CORRECTION="0 100"
export INFINALITY_FT_BRIGHTNESS="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_CONTRAST="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_GRAYSCALE_FILTER_STRENGTH="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_FRINGE_FILTER_STRENGTH="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_HORIZONTAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH="10"
export INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_VERTICAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH="25"
export INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_INCREASE_GLYPH_HEIGHTS="true"
export INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0
export INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
export INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0 # This one seems to crash at anything other than 0
export INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
fi

I will post further configuration information at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 741#832741 and the two message slots immediately following it.
Last edited by Keisha on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

saintless

Re: infinality native for wheezy, first try

#722 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Keisha!
Keisha wrote:I hope it works for you, and I trust that Toni and Fred can fix it so it complies fully with Debian packaging standards.
Works for me in Jwm version and looks very nice except the xterm fonts but I'm sure some tweaking will fix this.
I'm already working on the packages and archives from you. I will upload deb packages for one click install without changing /etc/fonts and existing links manually.

Toni

saintless

#723 Post by saintless »

Infinality packages posted here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 727#832727
Testing is always welcome. Tested in both DebianDog Wheezy versions but should work the same way for standard Debian-Wheezy.
Unfortunately adding the packages in DD repository will not work because I can not change the version number for fontconfig-config and libcairo2. Other packages depend on this exact version numbers and changing them will break dpkg database.

Thanks again, Keisha!
If you like to share some settings about infinality I suggest to reserve the next post in HowTo thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 727#832727
and update it with new information when needed.

Keisha

where to look for further infinality configuration info

#724 Post by Keisha »

saintless wrote:...If you like to share some settings about infinality I suggest to reserve the next post in HowTo thread...and update it with new information when needed..
OK, I will post new configuration information at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 741#832741
and the two message slots after it. For myself I fixed the Terminal fonts by substituting urxvt (rxvt-unicode-256color) for xterm and the other invocations of the terminal emulator (in xfce-panel and ROX-Filer), the procedure is described there.

There is one other question which may arise, which I probably should clear up. Back around late 2011 to early 2012 , when these versions of libcairo2 and libfreetype were current, there was a third configuration file supplied with infinality (besides infinality-settings.sh and fc-presets), it was placed in /etc/profile.d alongside infinality-settings.sh, it was called freetype-infinality.sh. It served two functions:

1. Source-in (dot command) (from a file in /etc/defaults) the INFINALITY="true" environment variable, needed for the infinality-patched libfreetype to work correctly.
and
2. Set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable.

Configuring infinality is already tricky enough, so, to avoid confusion I eliminated freetype-infinality.sh from this, my "retro edition for Debian Wheezy" of infinality. An LD_PRELOAD for fonting is not really necessary, especially when the library is held in memory anyway. As for the
export INFINALITY="true"
setting line, I transferred that into infinality-settings.sh, near the top, line 34 or so.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Keisha

next...infinality for Jessie

#725 Post by Keisha »

Now I'll go to work on a version for Jessie.

saintless

#726 Post by saintless »

Thanks for all this information, Keisha!
Reserve more posts in Howto thread if you like. Posting configuration examples takes much space. I will update my post with links to infinality instructions if it is needed in time.
I guess you already tested the deb packages and all works? Regarding dpkg database I'm sure there will be no problem but I can't test properly if all works as expected with infinality. I hope I did not break something by separating the files.
Thanks for Jessie in advance :)

Toni.

Keisha

#727 Post by Keisha »

(deleted by poster, non sequitur)
Last edited by Keisha on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.

Keisha

#728 Post by Keisha »

(likewise)
Last edited by Keisha on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#729 Post by saintless »

Keisha wrote:I will have to come back later to investigate this. Maybe libcairo needs placement of libfreetype and libcairo-gobject in /usr/lib not /usr/lib-i386-linux-gnu.
Just do:
Download all 9 deb packages from here in some folder (/tmp/infinality for example):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... nfinality/
Install them all by typing in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i /tmp/infinality/*.deb
Then prevent upgrading the infinality patched packages by copy/paste or typing:

sudo apt-mark hold libcairo2 cairo-perf-utils fontconfig-config libcairo-gobject2  libcairo-script-interpreter2 libfreetype6
You can't install packages one by one because the dependencies are missing and unpatched versions will be downloaded from debian repository.
The packages will be extracted and configured correctly one by one if you follow the procedure above.

Toni

Keisha

#730 Post by Keisha »

Yep, works (and looks) good when installed your way. Better after running /etc/fonts/conf.avail.infinality/fc-presets set and choosing 1 (combi) and then giving it my USE_STYLE="CUSTOM" modification as above.

I'm off to church now. For someone who calls himself "saintless," you have a lot of patience :)

saintless

#731 Post by saintless »

Keisha wrote:Better after running /etc/fonts/conf.avail.infinality/fc-presets set and choosing 1 (combi) and then giving it my USE_STYLE="CUSTOM" modification as above.
Is there a way to make (combi) appear after installing fontconfig-config without need to choose it? We can replace your USE_STYLE="CUSTOM" in /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh inside the package easy now or later with improved settings.

Toni

fredx181

#732 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Keisha, Toni,

WOW, that looks really great, I think I become a infinality addict :)
Also the fonts I'm typing right now look so much better.
Thanks very much, Keisha for all your hard work!
And Toni for making install easier.

To make the font look right in xfce4-terminal, I chose DejaVu Sans Mono (bold) as default (Preferences> Appearance tab)
For xterm I did this:
Create file ~/.Xresources with content:

XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold:antialias=false
XTerm*faceSize: 13
XTerm.*.geometry:80x20
XTerm*ScrollBar:  true
Fred

saintless

#733 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred, xterm looks fine with your Xresources example.
All credit goes to Keisha and infinality creators. I just try to keep dpkg working and safe which made Keisha's work much more difficult but I'm sure he likes the final result :)

Toni

fredx181

#734 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's yad 0.19 deb package I made that works on squeeze.
Probably it solves some problems you have with 0.16 version.
I had the binary on my hd but can't remember how I got it, maybe compiled it myself some time ago.

Fred

Keisha

re: Can fc-presets be pre-supplied / Fred's Feb 22 DD-Jessie

#735 Post by Keisha »

saintless wrote:Is there a way to make (combi) appear after installing fontconfig-config without need to choose it?
The function of "fc-presets set" is, you are choosing a subdirectory of /etc/fonts/conf.avail.infinality.

fc-presets just creates symlinks inside /etc/fonts/conf.d, pointing to the files inside the subdirectory you choose. So, if you create those symlinks manually inside the fontconfig-config .deb package, the purpose of fc-presets is satisfied.
fredx181 wrote:WOW, that looks really great, I think I become a infinality addict :)
I've been an infinality addict for about three years now, which is about as long as I've been using Linux (almost all in Puppy Linux, plus I have occasionally installed Ubuntu and used it just long enough to find out I hate it :evil: ).

Results with infinality vary from computer to computer. You almost always need to tinker at length with the settings in infinality-settings.sh, to achieve great fonting.

On upup-raring-3.9.9.1, infinality gives utterly perfect, unimaginably gorgeous results, whereas on all other Linuxes I have tried so far, I would say that if the stock Ubuntu fonting is 87% of perfection then infinality gives 93 to 95% of perfection. But only upup-raring-3.9.9.1 gives 100% perfection. Bohoomil has also observed this variance phenomenon, he says that the color-theming of x (whatever that means!--bohoomil, who as anikin points out is not the original author, in fact is not even a C programmer) has a big influence on the results with infinality. Apparently the color-theming of x in upup-raring-3.9.9.1 is absolutely perfect for infinality. Upup-raring-3.9.9.2 does not give as good a result!

The other area to tinker with, is the collection of active font definition and alias definition files (definition files are made active by placing them, or symlinks to them, inside /etc/fonts/conf.d).

The arrangement of files inside /etc/fonts which I provided for Wheezy is bohoomil's newest one. There is a basic collection of definitions already supplied in conf.d, and then with "fc-presets set" you choose five additional definition files, which establish the aliases for commonly-used fonts (plus, I added eight more font definition and alias definition files, to cover three of the fonts specifically supplied with DD-Wheezy).

Bohoomil has transformed infinality during the past three years, in this way: in 2012, the font and alias definition files were composed according to classes of fonts. He has moved away from this arrangement rather toward a composition according to individual fonts, in other words toward the principle of a single definition file for each font (or font family) (plus one aliases definition file if the font family needs it).

This move has enabled him to offer, to Arch Linux users, a large selection of free (as in beer) fonts for which he has specifically tailored the present-day version of infinality, which he calls the "Infinality Ultimate Bundle." It is possible to install these fonts in other distro's, but you must manually unpack each one (and either unpack its definition file(s) into /etc/fonts/conf.d, or else unpack to somewhere else with symlinks made into conf.d).

There exist at least two distinct earlier arrangements of the contents of /etc/fonts, and meanwhile there have been some changes made within the definition files (and, there formerly were also symlinks pointing to definition files kept in /usr/share/fontconfig).

On my several installs of various flavors of Puppy Linux, I find that sometimes one of the 2012 or 2013 arrangements of the contents of /etc/fonts produces better results than the present (2014-15) arrangement. I am also finding this to be true on my manual ("dpkg-destroying") builds of infinality on my local apt-get-distro-upgrade-produced installs of DD-Jessie.

I will build infinality for Jessie on Fred's February 22 2015 build of DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso. With its newer libcairo2 and libfreetype6 it already gives excellent fonting on my system, in fact it looks about as good as stock Ubuntu fonting!--so, it is going to be a challenge to make it look better!

Challenge accepted!

Keisha

#736 Post by Keisha »

saintless wrote:...All credit goes to Keisha and infinality creators. I just try to keep dpkg working and safe...
You certainly do deserve credit, since I would have left it in its wild unsafe unusable form had it not been for your merciless whip :twisted: :wink:

fredx181

#737 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

See for YouTube-Get v2 in Utility thread here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 961#832961
It's a very different version compared to previous youtube-get; YouTube-Get v2 is a frontend for youtube-dl, see here for info about youtube-dl:
http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Fred

saintless

#738 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Here's yad 0.19 deb package I made that works on squeeze.
Thanks, Fred!
I will upload it on the site and replace the older version if I make another Squeeze iso update.
See for YouTube-Get v2 in Utility thread here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 961#832961
-------------------
- youtube-get2_0.1.0_i386.deb, for installing (latest youtube-dl included, depends on python, takes 15MB of disk space)
- YouTube-Get-v2 , a portable appimage, has all (youtube-dl, python + the required python modules included, 6.5 Mb)
If youtube-get2_0.1.0_i386.deb can be installed together with youtube-get_0.1.0_i386.deb I will add it to the repository.
I think the portable appimage should go in no-repo-packages. Do you have another suggestion?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... -packages/

Toni

saintless

Re: re: Can fc-presets be pre-supplied / Fred's Feb 22 DD-Jessie

#739 Post by saintless »

Keisha wrote:fc-presets just creates symlinks inside /etc/fonts/conf.d, pointing to the files inside the subdirectory you choose. So, if you create those symlinks manually inside the fontconfig-config .deb package, the purpose of fc-presets is satisfied.
Thanks, Keisha.
I will test it in the next days and maybe I will replace fonconfig-config package with symlink included and your custom configuration.

Toni

fredx181

#740 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
If youtube-get2_0.1.0_i386.deb can be installed together with youtube-get_0.1.0_i386.deb I will add it to the repository.
Yes, that's my purpose, youtube-get2 has Replaces: line in control but youtube-get needs that also.
Attached youtube-get_0.1.0_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)
I think the portable appimage should go in no-repo-packages. Do you have another suggestion?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... -packages/
If you want to add it, it's fine by me.

Fred
Attachments
youtube-get_0.1.0_i386.deb.tar
youtube-get with "Replaces: youtube-get2" line in control file
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 185 times