Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Nov 2019, 05:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 45 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 05:54    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

Just quick testing but the good news is DD-Jessie boots on my old P-III machine. I have problems to start X with most kernels above 3.13 on this machine.
As I thought encrypted save for live-boot-3 does not work.
I have to make the main module gzip compression before further testing.
What I find strange is in SID and Wheezy adding/removing init=/bin/systemd boots systemd or sysvinit as you wish. Both exist together without problems.
Seems this is not the case with Jessie.

Toni

anikin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:12    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

I was pissed off and upset - thought the idea itself was wrong and I'd be severely punished Smile

Hi Fred,

Quick testing:
first boot: kernel panic (vmlinuz1+initrd.img)
second boot: isn't recognized (vmlinuz1+initrd.img1)
third boot: success (vmlinuz1+initrd1.xz)

Hi Keisha,

I'm following your work on infinality. I first used it when Slacko became the official Puppy ... and started from the wrong end. That is, long before learning how to configure fonts in Linux Smile Have made some good progress since then and can set up very decent looking fonts in DD (or Linux). My approach is simple: first do all you can with what's available, once that's been exhausted, try infinality. However, in my experience, infinality doesn't bring a lot to already great looking fonts. True, it will if you start from scratch (chicken scratch). In addition to Toni's links, here's one more, that will give a taste of infinality on Wheezy right now: http://www.dailylinuxnews.com/blog/2014/09/ubuntu-like-debian-font-rendering-using-infinality-font/
Keisha

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:49    Post subject: Erroneous ideas about infinality  

saintless wrote:
...I'm not sure if this is true, but seems libcairo does not need patching according to the information here:
http://www.infinality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=280...

Probably the reason why "BubuXP" made that incorrect statement was, he logically concluded that, just because he did not see multiple recurring entries for infinality-patched cairo in the archive repository, a patched cairo therefore had ceased to exist.

A classic example of what I said earlier, that some confusion arises when people first find infinality and start going back and trying to learn about it by googling it and surfing old forums.

The github repository of infinality, as of this writing, is
https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

and the current version of the infinality binaries for the Arch Linux package management system are, as of this writing, at http://bohoomil.com under "Repository" (and then "i686" or "x86_64").

If you look at the github or the Arch binaries repository, you will see that a patched cairo is still supplied (and I know from experiment, beyond any shadow of doubt, it is required).

Probably the reason why the confusion arose in the first place is this: the cairo infinality patchset is small and, until just last January, had never changed at the extremely fast pace that the freetype and fontconfig patches have changed. In January a large "git-fixes" patch was added to the infinality cairo patchset, it's the first big addition in years.

Since it changes at such a glacial pace, a single cairo patchset has served effectively since at least early 2013, probably even earlier. And that, I guess, is the reason why there is no revision history reflected in the archive repository.

If you study the current infinality cairo patchset, you can easily and quickly grasp which parts of it are applicable to any version of cairo you wish to patch.

As far as I know, none of bohoomil's patches for cairo have ever been accepted into mainline cairo source. He has had infinality patches accepted from time to time in freetype. I don't know whether any of his libfontconfig patches have been accepted into mainline.

In that same thread (http://www.infinality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=280), on page two, "NixOn" makes another misleading statement, "fontconfig-infinality just has the font configuration, but no libraries." It's an example of another point about infinality where confusion often arises: you see, "the infinality patches to the libfontconfig library" and "the font configuration xml file collection under /etc/fonts" are both loosely referred to as "the infinality fontconfig patches" or simply "fontconfig-infinality" even though they are two distinct things. Both are necessary or you don't have real infinality.

I suspect that one of the two main reasons why maintainers of major distro's have so far been unwilling to adopt infinality as the standard is: it does not usually give perfect results "right out of the box." You do need to adjust the values of the environment parameters established by infinality-settings.sh (and, for most versions, you also need to run a short configuration script somewhere under /etc/fonts --it has had various names including infctl.sh).

The other main reason is that the source code of freetype itself is a very fast-moving target, it evolves as fast as the fruit flies of Fukushima. It's a full-time profession just to keep up with it. The fact that bohoomil has managed to keep pace with his infinality patchset for freetype is an indication of the world-class level of his expertise on the subject of font rendering. It's like the question, "Who was the greatest dancer of all time?" with most people's answer being "Fred Astaire." But the real right answer is "Ginger Rogers." Because she did every step that Fred did, and she did them backwards!

I would speculate that the confusions over cairo and fontconfig, considered as a single general class, are one of the two main reasons why so many people have reached the conclusion that "infinality doesn't really do much for fonting beyond what good practice with font configuration achieves."

The second reason is that Ubuntu has its own patchset for freetype which does unquestionably achieve very good fonting right out of the box, better than all other "stock, non-customized" distro's...except for Arch Linux when infinality is added through its package manager from bohoomil's repository.

The Ubuntu patches so radically alter the freetype source that it is not possible to apply both the infinality and Ubuntu patchsets to the freetype source, it's one or the other. (However, this was not always true; when Raring Ringtail first appeared, it was possible to, by hand with great care, apply both the Ubuntu and the infinality patchsets to freetype. I did so, and as a result, on my local copy of upup-raring-3.9.9.1 I have what might be the best fonting of any computer on this planet).

Infinality fonting, after you finish tweaking infinality-settings and find the right setting of the configuration script under /etc/fonts, is better than Ubuntu fonting. However, so many people regard Ubuntu fonting as the gold standard, that bohoomil actually calls the best settings for infinality-settings "UBUNTU" --i.e. setting it this way will "emulate ubuntu fonting." He's being modestly polite. Actually it's the other way around: the Ubuntu developers have made it their goal to match infinality fonting as closely as they can. They have come as close as it is possible to achieve without requiring the user to tweak configuration files after initial setup.

The versions of Puppy Linux which use Ubuntu binaries benefit from that Ubuntu development effort, their fonting is pretty good as-is. And to the extent that Slackware and T2 upstream have adopted the Ubuntu versions of the libs freetype fontconfig and cairo, those Puppies' fonting too has benefitted.

Still though, not as good as infinality.

Back tonight, God willing and the Creek don't rise, with the real thing.

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 17:29    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Anikin,

Thanks for testing!

Quote:
Just quick testing but the good news is DD-Jessie boots on my old P-III machine. I have problems to start X with most kernels above 3.13 on this machine.

That's nice!

Quote:

Why, is it a to heavy load otherwise?

Quote:
What I find strange is in SID and Wheezy adding/removing init=/bin/systemd boots systemd or sysvinit as you wish. Both exist together without problems.
Seems this is not the case with Jessie.

Yes, I'm also not fully understanding yet how this works, I think it has to do with the full transition to systemd on this Jessie, having systemd-sysv installed instead of sysvinit-core.

Anikin,
Quote:
Quick testing:
first boot: kernel panic (vmlinuz1+initrd.img)
second boot: isn't recognized (vmlinuz1+initrd.img1)
third boot: success (vmlinuz1+initrd1.xz)

That's bad! I cannot reproduce, all works for me.
Are you sure you don't have something conflicting e.g. /live folder in some other place or a savefile from other DD loaded?

Toni, booting with live-boot-2 and/or live-boot-4 works for you?

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 05:52    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Quote:

Why, is it a to heavy load otherwise?

I use 600Mhz processor and 256Ram mostly and module with xz compression works much slower on this machine compared to gzip. It is the same with Jwm-Wheezy version. This is the reason to make DD-Squeeze gzip - it is for old hardware and I use Squeeze as my main system. I'm sure on new hardware there is no much difference if you use xz instead gzip.

Quote:
Toni, booting with live-boot-2 and/or live-boot-4 works for you?

Yes, all tested with and without save file. Live-boot-4 can't load encrypted save file but not encrypted works. I guess you used refracta patch because I can use save file on the same partition.
Live-boot-2 works fine. It has the important /lib/udev/path_id (I can't boot without this file) and I see you use different and much smaller /bin content inside initrd1.img compared to initrd.img.
Porteus-boot tested with save folder and no save and seems to work well also.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 06:56    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, All,

Toni wrote:
Yes, all tested with and without save file. Live-boot-4 can't load encrypted save file but not encrypted works. I guess you used refracta patch because I can use save file on the same partition.
Live-boot-2 works fine. It has the important /lib/udev/path_id (I can't boot without this file) and I see you use different and much smaller /bin content inside initrd1.img compared to initrd.img.
Porteus-boot tested with save folder and no save and seems to work well also.

Ok, thanks, the initrd.img is the one created by update-initramfs when installing the kernel, not patched.
For the initrd1.img and initrd1.xz I just used the wheezy one but replaced only /lib/modules inside.
Not sure if that's the right way, though, you would do it different?
Edit: At further thought, I am not sure, probably I modified these from earlier Jessie iso.

Here's updated 'libsearch' script.
It gives now a much more complete output, divided in "found: <path/lib-name>" and "not found" <libname> for example with libpulse0 and libxv1:
Code:

not found: libpulse.so.0
libpulse0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0
libroar-compat2: /usr/lib/roaraudio/complibs/libpulse.so.0

found: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXv.so.1
libxv1: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXv.so.1

The 'not found' section looks complicated this way but the previous libsearch didn't list 'not installed' libs at all.

Edit: Re-uploaded, shows now less results when 'not found' (only exact match), updated the above example output also (libpulse)

Edit2: See also here for more advanced 'libsearch-mod'
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=830458#830458

Fred
libsearch.tar.gz
Description  Updated libsearch script (depends on apt-file and readelf (elfutils) )
gz

Download 
Filename  libsearch.tar.gz 
Filesize  802 Bytes 
Downloaded  134 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 14:19; edited 4 times in total
anikin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 07:57    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred et al,
Quote:
Are you sure you don't have something conflicting e.g. /live folder in some other place or a savefile from other DD loaded?
Nothing unusual, a clean live folder, no savefiles here. Tried with and without <init=/bin/systemd>. Says something like, failed to sync and mentions init. Can you, guys post your boot options for v4, maybe there's something wrong in mine?
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 11:01    Post subject:  

Hi Anikin,
This is mine without persistence (grub):
Code:
           title testing xfce live3
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /testing/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/testing/live
  initrd /testing/live/initrd.img

Edit: Tested just now booting from usb with extlinux:
Code:
label DebianDog live-boot v4
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:08    Post subject:  

OK, posting from it now, using my default boot parms, minus two items:
Code:
LINUX /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live live-config nopersistence noswap nosmp noprompt nocd noeject quickreboot elevator=noop video=i915:modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 ipv6.disable=1
I had to remove these two items from the line:
autologin
toram=filesystem.squashfs
Strange, no other DD's gave me kernel panic before.
Code:
root@dog:~# pstree -p
systemd(1)-+-Thunar(2103)-+-{gdbus}(2819)
           |              `-{gmain}(2104)
           |-conky(1237)-+-{conky}(1239)
           |             |-{conky}(1240)
Looks solid, light, snappy and runs like a hare.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:36    Post subject:  

Hi All,

Here's mpv mediaplayer for Debian/DebianDog Wheezy:
Following the instructions from here:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build
I made two deb packages:
- mpv_0.8.0_i386.deb (uses total on DD, including dependencies, 35M of space to install)
This is made as described "Building a Debian package", download here:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Packages/mpv_0.8.0_i386.deb
- mpv_0.8.0dd_i386.deb (uses total on DD, including dependencies, 25M of space to install)
My own .deb build including the compiled mpv binary:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Packages/mpv_0.8.0dd_i386.deb
I didn't test much, it could be that this one supports not as much formats as the "Building a Debian package" build.

To install for example: mpv_0.8.0dd_i386.deb from terminal:
Open a terminal in the directory where mpv_0.8.0dd_i386.deb has been downloaded:
Code:
apt-get update # Could be required
dpkg -i mpv_0.8.0dd_i386.deb
apt-get -f install # Install dependencies

It's a nice mediaplayer IMO and it's not taking much space compared to official Debian gnome-mplayer or vlc.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 13:52; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:53    Post subject:  

Hi Anikin, glad you got it working now!
Quote:
I had to remove these two items from the line:
autologin
toram=filesystem.squashfs
Strange, no other DD's gave me kernel panic before.

Don't want to spoil the party but both toram and autologin(not sure autologin has any effect, btw) worked for me, it could be the combination with all other parameters you are using maybe.

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 14:33    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

I added back autologin - boot success.
Added back toram - it boots without issue!!!
Maybe it just needed a kick-start, or the moon phase was wrong, or I mistyped something on the first trial. All is good now. Fast boot and an extremely fast shutdown! Will be testing the openbox version soon.
Keisha

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015, 23:28    Post subject:  

Just coming up for air to let everyone know I'm still on it; didn't get enough free time last night, won't get enough tonight either. Back tomorrow night, hopefully, with a working and nondestructive infinality for Wheezy.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb 2015, 03:41    Post subject:  

Thanks, Keisha!
Take your time. Do it when you can and when you have time only.
I'm little bit busy till the end of the week for testing the packages anyway.

Thanks, Fred!
What is the way to replace mpv player both versions? Do they conflict each other and can we add the debs in DD repository without changes?

About libsearch I think only you and me use it at the moment. To tell you the truth I like the old libsearch better. It gives simple packagename output and I can easy copy/paste it from terminal inside control file. This found and not-found output and path just makes things complicated for me. It is useful if you like to know what packages are not installed on the system at the moment but this is not what I use libsearch for. I will keep both in the squashfs module if you do not mind and rebuild it in few days.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb 2015, 05:16    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Ok, thanks, the initrd.img is the one created by update-initramfs when installing the kernel, not patched.

This means encrypted save still does not work even in live-boot-4, but seems save on boot partition is fixed.

Quote:
For the initrd1.img and initrd1.xz I just used the wheezy one but replaced only /lib/modules inside.
Not sure if that's the right way, though, you would do it different?
Edit: At further thought, I am not sure, probably I modified these from earlier Jessie iso.

I think you made some modifications. It does not work for me by changing only /lib/modules in initrd1.img from Wheezy. I would try from DD-Jessie (always freshs - no persistent):
Code:
apt-get purge cryptsetup #we don't need it in initrd1.img
apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge live-boot live-boot-initramfs-tools live-tools

Then install:
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/live-boot
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/live-boot-initramfs-tools
And create again initrd1.img with mkinitramfs. It will need manually adding later /lib/udev/path_id file from wheezy initrd1.img.
I guess the size will be much bigger since /bin will contain Jessie binary files.

Toni

Page 45 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: