FluxPup 1.5.1-non-pae

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slavvo67

PDF Follow-Up

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

There is, in fact an issue which appears to be in ABI Word 2.9.4 when printing a document to PDF using CUPS. The file will open fine in PDF Viewer 0.1.8 (the Fluxpup default), however Adobe's PDF Viewer in M$ will not open the file. It reads, "Error processing page, bad parameter." For those concerned about compatibility, this is a problem.

This is not the case in Libre 4.2, where Cups-PDF, File-PDF and Export to PDF worked fine in both PDF viewers.

So my best guess after testing is that this is yet another reason not to use ABI Word for any serious work. On a related project, I am in the process of comparing ABI Word's document conversion ability vs. Libre Office.

oligin10

Kingsoft

#17 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, I know it isn't the most lightweight, but I am using Kingsoft Office in a full install. I have a newer NM70I processor with 3gb of ram and it works well. I haven't checked to see if it has a problem as you are describing, but Abiword seems to give lots of small problems like you are describing. Thanks, Rob

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Not to get off the Fluxpup topic but Kingsoft Office is not the answer if you're looking for cross-compatibility. Still a nice package, though.

oldyeller

#19 Post by oldyeller »

slavvo67 wrote:Not to get off the Fluxpup topic but Kingsoft Office is not the answer if you're looking for cross-compatibility. Still a nice package, though.
Hi all I do have 3 versions of LibreOffice which you can get by going to the SFS-Builder-Downloader and using the sfs-downloader there you will find LibreOffice.sfs.

Or you can get them from here http://smokey01.com/Oldyeller/pet_packages-fluxpup/

Cheers

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

To correct my previous post pertaining to ABI Word, it appears the issue is due to the older version of Ghostscript (8.15.4). An install of Ghostscript 9.0.5 corrects the print to Cups-PDF issue.

Thank you rcrsn51 for bringing this to light.

Best,

Slavvo67

oldyeller

#21 Post by oldyeller »

slavvo67 wrote:To correct my previous post pertaining to ABI Word, it appears the issue is due to the older version of Ghostscript (8.15.4). An install of Ghostscript 9.0.5 corrects the print to Cups-PDF issue.

Thank you rcrsn51 for bringing this to light.

Best,

Slavvo67
I will get this in the next build, I will be getting from the Ubuntu repo's since it is now copyrighted and would need a commercial license.

Cheers

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

oldyeller wrote:I will get this in the next build, I will be getting from the Ubuntu repo's since it is now copyrighted and would need a commercial license
????

Get Ghostscript 9.05 from the link here.

oldyeller

#23 Post by oldyeller »

rcrsn51 wrote:
oldyeller wrote:I will get this in the next build, I will be getting from the Ubuntu repo's since it is now copyrighted and would need a commercial license
????

Get Ghostscript 9.05 from the link here.
When I did a google search on this is what I found here http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/gnu/

I will download the one you posted and put it in woof for the next build thanks for the information.

Cheers

slavvo67

#24 Post by slavvo67 »

Yeller:

For the record, the Libre Pets in the Documents section of the form work perfectly, as well. I have 4.2 installed with no issues and no speed bumps. Both in PAE and Non-PAE Fluxpup.

Best,

Slavvo

slavvo67

Heartbleed

#25 Post by slavvo67 »

Oldyeller:

I am writing to advise that I believe Fluxpup PAE and Non_PAE have the OpenSSL version 1.0.1 that is vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug.

Typing: "openssl version" in the terminal reveals 1.0.1

I refer to the following thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93076

I have installed Shinobar's openssl-fix-1.0 pet located in the thread above and also installed the openssl_1.0.1g deb and libssl1.0.0_1.0 deb located in the thread (see below). Adding the debs was probably overkill but Shinobar's fix did not change the version number so I wasn't feeling completely comfortable with the fix. I recently asked him about this.
shinobar wrote:For all Precise Puppy:
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/openssl ... tu5.12.pet

It contains 2 libraries under /lib from libssl1.0.0_1.0.1-4ubuntu5.12_i386.deb,
/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf from openssl_1.0.1-4ubuntu5.12_i386.deb

Type next command on the terminal to see the openssl updated.

Code: Select all

# openssl version -b
built on: Mon Apr  7 20:31:55 UTC 2014
'Apr 7, 2014' is OK.
AND THE DEB PACKAGES FROM USER FANTAZAM:
fantazam wrote:For Puppy Precise 5.7.1 i installed these 2 packages and now i have updated openssl "OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014"

https://launchpad.net/~george-edison55/ ... 1_i386.deb

https://launchpad.net/~george-edison55/ ... 1_i386.deb

oligin10

Dual booting with SolydX

#26 Post by oligin10 »

Hi oldyeller, just wanting to let you know that I am really happy with this. I am dual booting this with SolydX. The only real issue I have found is that it runs the cpu fan at a higher speed. I am absolutely amazed how little ram this uses. After booting and running Audacious in the background, it uses 61 mb of ram. Boot up Firefox 29, still only uses 144 mb. That is outstanding. Thanks, Rob

slavvo67

#27 Post by slavvo67 »

Yeller:

First off, I noticed from your first post that your wife worked on the graphics for Fluxpup. Please congratulate her for a clean, well planned background for your distro.

Second, I think that I've identified the MPlayer issue (still testing my theory). It appears that it defaults to subtitles on, which for some reason defaults the screen to audio only unless you choose View from the top menu and pick a video ratio 1:1 or whatever.

Not positive on this but it seems to be the case, at least when playing my DVD's.

I suggest you have subtitles off by default in your new iso. Either way, I worked around it so it's just a suggestion.

It looks like I'll be doing a partition install over the weekend. Wish me luck!

Best,

Slavvo

killapup

#28 Post by killapup »

G'day all,

I've just discovered FluxPup, it looks great. I don't think I've tried a Fluxbox distro before so when I saw it, I had to give it a try.

I'm impressed, and being a Puppy, I could make it my main linux. :D

I've installed it frugally and had only one minor glitch so far. The first run of PPM resulted in an application freeze but it seems to have rectified itself as there has been no recurrence.

All in all, I think it is great, keep up the good work. :wink:
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

Volhout

FluxPup 1.5.1

#29 Post by Volhout »

@killapup
+1

This is exactly describing how I feel about this pup. Tried it on 3 different computers (i5, N270, T2400) and it simply works flawless on all 3. Even wireless printing works out of the box.

And the theme is nice. It simply looks good. And it has Opera.... It might become my desktop of choice.

Applause for all involved.

Edit: is there an NVidea driver for Fluxpup non-pae??

RSH

#30 Post by RSH »

Hi.

File isolinux.bin has a wrong ownership.

Instead of root, root it has 1026, 1026.

See image.

I don't know if this will cause problems, though you'll get an error message, if copying such files to a vfat (fat32) partition.
Attachments
image-1.png
(30.23 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

oldyeller

#31 Post by oldyeller »

Instead of root, root it has 1026, 1026.
I have had a look at precise puppies that Barryk did, at least I know from precise 5.5 and on and it is the same as any pup that I have built as well. Will have to see why it is this way.

Thanks, RSH

@Volhout, no there is not a NVidea driver for Fluxpup non-pae, one well have to be compiled.

EDIT: The ownership is correct root, root before being put into sandbox3 in woof. Once it gets put in there it changes ownership to 1026, 1026; I will need to talk with mick on this one.

Cheers

RSH

#32 Post by RSH »

EDIT: The ownership is correct root, root before being put into sandbox3 in woof. Once it gets put in there it changes ownership to 1026, 1026; I will need to talk with mick on this one.
Please, tell him, I found this lately in several newer Puppies, though I can't remember which ones and I didn't make any notice about that - seems to be a woof-thing. I'm using a drag'n'drop-script to fix this for my local needs.

FluxPup is nice so far.

Did made a LazYFlux out of it.

Rosegarden from Precise Repo, Audacity 2.0.5 from Forum's Link and Ardour 3 from scabz seems to work pretty well in this. Also the GIMP from LP2_GimpPainter-2.8.7.sfs (LazY Puppy Repo) is working fine.
Attachments
LazYFluX.jpg
(106.98 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

oldyeller

#33 Post by oldyeller »

Hi RSH,

I just pm mick about the ownership.

LazYFlux looks really nice :D

Cheers

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

To my thinking, this is a problem with Barry's syslinux package (old 3 version) because it hasn't happened in Slacko since I used playdayz' version of isolinux.bin. (so it doesn't happen in Lupu or derivatives >> lazy :wink: ) It did happen in the old spup-100 series I built a number of years ago.
Not only is the ownership a problem but the permissions. It is supposed to be 0644 but we have something odd here caused by a file transfer over cifs. 0776. (Well that's the only time I have seen those perms, possibly to be compatible with ntfs/vfat ..Andrew Tridgell could enlighten on that one).

Further, in Slacko64, I use a template in woof to use the Slackware package and on the slacko64 iso, we have -rw-r--r-- 1 root root which is as it should be.

I did build and upload a package syslinux-4.0-modified.pet which does not have the ownership issue but does have the permissions issue. I'll fix that and reupload. This would be my booboo due to the aforementioned cifs 'feature'. (This affects slacko only as it is only in pet_packages-slacko14).

So, a couple of solutions are available.
  • Try using the Ubuntu package and see if the woof template works.
  • I can reupload the syslinux-4.0-modified.pet to the pet_packages-common repo with fixed permissions
  • roll your own package and pass it on and I'll upload that.
NB: in the current iteration of woof-CE 'testing' syslinux >= 4.0 is fully supported thanks to a patch by shinobar to PUI.
Attachments
isolinux.png
(73.62 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

oldyeller

#35 Post by oldyeller »

Thanks mick,

will try Ubuntu package and see if the template works in woof-ce

Cheers