Best printer-scanner combos that work in most / all puppies?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
slavvo67

Best printer-scanner combos that work in most / all puppies?

#1 Post by slavvo67 »

Well, it seems there's limited or no drivers that will work with my old Lexmark 4530 printer/scanner so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

So, are there any recommendations for those that regularly change puppies and have a printer/scanner that work with most or all they have tested?

Sorry for the new thread but it seems pretty relevant and I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of people with similar questions. Maybe there's a puppy printer/scanner list somewhere?

Thanks and all the best,

Slavvo67

Dpup

Printer Scanner Combos for Puppy Linux

#2 Post by Dpup »

I have been using Puppy Linux Slacko 5.7 and Precise 3.8.3.1 with HP laptop and Asus 1000HE Netbook. Either fits into original carrying case and runs off the OEM original batteries or original line power adapters, along with small USB powered scanner, a Canon LiDE 110 that sells at many retail stores around $60. For portable battery operated color inkjet, a very small Canon IP100 with back pack OEM battery that sells for around $170, and removable back battery for around $75. Scanner and printer uses Pet drivers for CUPS posted by Puppy printer scanner expert rcrsn51. Am using Walmart Internet-go card with the never expire data plan. This set has served me well. It may be of interest to note that the Canon portable printer is one used by many service agencies, and are available used and working on eBay, Amazon and other sites at lower cost.

Update 04/15/14 - Am also working on several low cost desk top all in one printer scanners, but not ready to make recommendations yet. Tests using Puppy Slacko 5.7 on old HP C309a Photosmart all in one printer scanner works well, and new Canon MX922 and MG5520 working with new CUPS drivers for MX920 and MG5500 series, with backend pet 3.90 all just posted by rcrsn51. Also both Cloud ready and Google Cloud prints fine using Chrome 33 or Chromium 33,34 on Puppy Slacko 5.7. Noticed a number of retail and online stores selling the higher end MX922 at $99 and the more basic economy Canon MG5520 at $60 up. The Canon MX922 is a PC Mag Editor's choice, and current Amazon.com highly rated best seller with over thousand user reviews. It has many extra features. I do recommend reading some of the many reviews. Am sure there are many other choices that will also work with Puppy Linux versions, Interesting that many models are under $100. Was at a Fry's store over the weekend.. huge pallet sale of the Canon MG5520 printer scanner, stacked 4 feet high near front door, and more stacked on pallets at several other places throughout the store. The units are current production, made in past few months.

Also interested in what others have found to work well for them.

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

DPUP:

Thank you! I interested to see what others are using. Getting printing and scanning function through Puppy has been a real thorn in my side with my current hardware.

Best,

Slavvo

chiron²

#4 Post by chiron² »

I set up an HP DeskJet F4180 for my mother, using Slacko 5.6. Needed to get the hplip pet from the forum, then it was working as expected in no time.