Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 13:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Installing Frisbee from files w/o the pet
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Mike7

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:03    Post subject:  Installing Frisbee from files w/o the pet  

Hi, all.

This question is directed to Richard (rerwin), but if anyone else can help, great.

Before totally giving up on Puppeee4.4-atom (due to Pwireless2 problems), I made a new pendrive with Puppeee4.4-rc2 from Ally's Puppeee archive at archive.org. I thought maybe I could put my 4.4-atom save file in 4.4-rc2, which has Frisbee, and use that.

Well, rc2 worked with my save file, but unfortunately it has the celeron kernel and doesn't run well with my atom PCU. Also, the Midori browser in rc2 doesn't compare with chrome in 4.4-atom, IMO.

So what I've done is copy all the Frisbee files in rc2 (that is, all the files I could find using Pfind with search words "Frisbee" and "frisbee") over to /myfiles/ in my 4.4-atom pendrive, with a list of which folders they were in (in rc2). The idea is that the 4.4-rc2 version of Frisbee might work in 4.4-atom.

Query 1: Are there Frisbee files that don't have the words "Frisbee" or "frisbee" in their file names?

Query 2: Are there dependencies I need to download for Frisbee to work?

Query 3: What files in 4.4-atom do I need to modify to get Frisbee to work (for example, config files, boot files, etc.)?

A lot of people did good work adapting Frsibee for different Pups, as I saw in the "Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2" thread. I'm hoping they'll give me some help with this.

Cheers.

Mike
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr 2014, 13:37    Post subject:  

Mike7,
Your request probably belongs in the beta2 thread you mention. I suspect that the version of Frisbee in Puppeee4.4 is the beta2 version, which is only the starting point in my upgrade that now is at version 1.2. The place to look for all of the pieces would be the beta2 pet itself. Then use the same-named files from the celeron puppeee.

I think most of the files are in /usr/Frisbee and a few in /usr/bin. But the connectwizard and connectwizard2nd files are also probably modified. And the network_tray program us different.

I wonder why the atom version of 4.4 is different from the celeron version. I have not adapted my new versions of frisbee-1.x to run with puppy 4.3.1, upon which I assume puppeee is based. So that is not an option. Note that I have created other files beyond the beta pet's, so looking there might add confusion.

Maybe you could simply install the beta2 pet into your puppeee4.4atom.
Richard
Mike7

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr 2014, 08:44    Post subject:  

Hi, Richard. Happy Easter!

Quote:
The place to look for all of the pieces would be the beta2 pet itself. Then use the same-named files from the celeron puppeee.

How do I open up the Frisbee beta2 pet to see what files are inside? I have no experience with pets except for installing one or two. Is there a special program for opening them up without installing them?

Quote:
I think most of the files are in /usr/Frisbee and a few in /usr/bin. But the connectwizard and connectwizard2nd files are also probably modified. And the network_tray program is different.

Here's a list of the Frisbee-named files I copied out of Puppeee4.4-rc2, with an arrow showing what folder they were in:
10-Frisbee -> etc/init.d/
1frisbee-tray -> root/Startup/
frisbee_tray -> user/bin/
Frisbee (23k) -> user/local/bin/
Frisbee (folder) -> user/local/
frisbee.desktop -> user/share/applications/
frisbee.png -> user/share/pixmaps/

And here is a list of the items in user/local/Frisbee/ :

/iface/wlan0
config
connect
dhcpcd.conf
disconnect
func
interface
interfaces
ipinfo
pnetworkdiag
reset-dhcp
start-dhcp
start-wpa
stop-dhcp
version
wpa_supplicant.conf

Does this look right to you? Are there files missing?

And what about config, startup, and other supporting files, as well as dependencies, that may be in other places? For example, I see in my Puppeee4.4-atom that Jemimah wrote a long shell script named "Pwireless" that she put in user/sbin. And in user/local/Pwireless2 there are 45 shell scripts and config files, but I didn't find equivalent files for Frisbee in Puppeee4.4-rc2 (except for the 16 items in user/local/Frisbee/).

Quote:
I wonder why the atom version of 4.4 is different from the celeron version.

It may not be very different. Most everything in my 4.4-atom savefile worked in rc2 (which has the celeron kernel). Only some auxiliary programs that may have depended on unsaved or incorrect data ran poorly. And the Midori browser hardly worked at all.

Quote:
I have not adapted my new versions of frisbee-1.x to run with puppy 4.3.1, upon which I assume puppeee is based.

You're right. It is.

Quote:
So that is not an option.

Too bad <grin>.

Quote:
Note that I have created other files beyond the beta pet's, so looking there might add confusion.

Not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
Maybe you could simply install the beta2 pet into your puppeee4.4atom.

That might be an interesting experiment. Are there different versions of Frisbee-Beta2? If so, which one would you recommend trying? (A download link would be appreciated.)

But I really think that my best shot is getting 4.4-rc2's Frisbee installed in my 4.4-atom.

Cheers.

Mike

rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr 2014, 15:00    Post subject:  

Mike,
If you are running lucid pup 5.2.8-anything, right-click the pet file and click on "Extract Here" (the first entry in the submenu), but only after you have placed the pet file where you want to see the extracted directories, e.g., /tmp.

Otherwise, enter the command:
pet2tgz <pet package file>
and then click on the resultant tar.gz (or tgz) file to extract the contents.

Taking another approach, could you post the links to the two versions of puppeee 4.4, to save my searching for them? Then I can compare them (with diff -r) to see if the differences are obvious. That seems to be your preferred route, anyway.
Richard
Mike7

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 00:50    Post subject:  

Hi, Richard.

For extracting and comparing the files with those in rc2 Frisbee, and perhaps also for trying it out in 4.4-atom, should I use the Frisbee-beta-2.pet download in Jemimah's first post at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64472?

What about the accompanying dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant pets there? In order to test Frisbee-beta-2, will I have to install those two dependencies in place of the related files I now have for Pwireless2?

Quote:
enter the command:
pet2tgz <pet package file>
and then click on the resultant tar.gz (or tgz) file to extract the contents.

Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I download Frisbee-beta-2.pet.

Quote:
could you post the links to the two versions of puppeee 4.4, to save my searching for them?

There are various versions of Puppeee4.4 and more than one download site. Here are the ones I know of:
- My original download of Puppeee4.4-beta1-atom (as Atom 4.4.tar.bz2):
http://ubuntuone.com/03spbbxEXin5IN44Qn1xNx. I don't know if there's a download at this site for 4.4-beta1-celeron. I couldn't find one, at any rate.
- Ally's archive.org downloads at https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee. The iso file links are at the left under "CD/DVD". The 115.5 MB file is 4.4-rc2, and the two 130.6MB files are the 4.4-beta1-atom and -celeron, respectively.

I just now made an iso file of the folder extracted from Atom 4.4.tar.bz2 at ubuntuone, and it is not the same size as the 4.4-beta1-atom iso downloaded from archive.org, nor are the md5 checksums the same (although this may be an artefact of the iso creation programs used).

Quote:
Then I can compare them (with diff -r) to see if the differences are obvious. That seems to be your preferred route, anyway.

We don't really know if the frisbee put into 4.4-rc2 is the same as that posted as Frisbee-beta-2.pet, but it stands to reason that it would be more compatible with other late versions of Puppeee like 4.4-atom, and that the dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant base programs in Puppeee4.4, for which Pwireless2 and Frisbee were originally just front-ends I believe, would require less adaptation, maybe none at all, with the rc2 frisbee than with the Frisbee-beta-2 posted for general Puppy use.

But I could easily be completely wrong, too <grin>.

Cheers.

Mike

Mike7

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 02:41    Post subject:  

Richard-

The posting date of Jemimah's Frisbee-beta2.pet is Feb 2011. I believe the Puppeee4.4 versions were made in 2010. (Puppeee4.4-atom was.) is it possible that 4.4-rc2 has Frisbee-beta1?

Mike

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: