56K dial up, very slow

leon8200

56K dial up, very slow

#1 Post by leon8200 »

I just set up a dial up connection and installed fire fox, I have it working but
the connection speed is very slow, it take's about 10 minute's to load the page and half the time it just fail's, I measured the speed and it's only about 1/10 of the speed my modem run's on XP, is there a way to speed this up?

my modem is a (gateway 2000 56K data fax modem) and my ISP is 56K

Moat

#2 Post by Moat »

Is your Gateway's modem using the Conexant chipset? If so, then unfortunately (for copyright reasons, I assume) the Conexant chip modem driver(s) included in Puppy are based on the free, "crippled" Linuxant driver - which is purposely limited to about 14k. One could pay for the "un-crippled" Linuxant driver (about $20 IIRC) and then try to get it working, somehow, in Puppy...

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

I never tried that - instead I bought a little USB dialup modem (for about $20) that does the trick with Linux - pretty much plug-n-play with Puppy...

http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... 0_TFM-561U

Bob

leon8200

#3 Post by leon8200 »

Moat wrote:Is your Gateway's modem using the Conexant chipset? If so, then unfortunately (for copyright reasons, I assume) the Conexant chip modem driver(s) included in Puppy are based on the free, "crippled" Linuxant driver - which is purposely limited to about 14k. One could pay for the "un-crippled" Linuxant driver (about $20 IIRC) and then try to get it working, somehow, in Puppy...

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

I never tried that - instead I bought a little USB dialup modem (for about $20) that does the trick with Linux - pretty much plug-n-play with Puppy...

http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... 0_TFM-561U

Bob
yeah it is conexant, my (unknown device identifier) show's these spec's

chip: conexant systems pci modem enumerator
vendor: gateway
device: gateway data fax modem
chip vendor: conexant systems
chip: pci modem enumerator

I don't know much about linux driver's, but is there anything I can do to get better internet speed with the driver that is already installed?

darry1966

#4 Post by darry1966 »

Yeah man this takes me back to the days when I used a dial up connection and yes the "free" driver is limited to 14k. I gave up on win type modems and used an external modem from a junk shop instead which had good speeds.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

leon8200 wrote: [...] is there anything I can do to get better internet speed with the driver that is already installed?
To be blunt: no. Conexant themselves made the driver, and they made it horrible on purpose so that you'd still give them money.

Of course, finding a modem that *isn't* Conexant inside is a real task these days, because apparently a company that thinks that way is a very popular company indeed >.< thieving bastards...

...and that's a task you've now got to take on, because if you have any sense at all, you'll realize that it's ludicrous to pay Conexant (or any other company) $20 extra for something that you should already have. Releasing a driver that's free but useless, is insulting at best (not to mention that it's not exactly good business, either).

US Robotics at least at one time was a very good source of very good modems. Don't know if they make their own chips though... Intel makes LAN cards, but I don't know about modems -- worth looking into, though...

nitehawk

#6 Post by nitehawk »

I had to give up on winmodems a long time ago. I went to Ebay and got a couple of external USRobotics for very little (for my old desktops) Then I run into cheap ones in thrift stores, sometimes. Got my little Trendnet for just a buck! Had it for a couple of years now,...(using it right now, as a matter of fact). I had a conexant winmodem recently, that I just threw away. I would just use a USB dialup modem (as has been suggested by Moat) on a laptop, though. External dialup modems can be very clumsey on laptops :lol:
So sorry you have one of those ickey conexants. Starhawk is right in his ideas on the folks who make those things and the drivers for them. Highway robbery!