Saving packages downloaded from Puppy repository

Using applications, configuring, problems
drongo

Saving packages downloaded from Puppy repository

#1 Post by drongo »

I want to download etherape to an internet-connected machine and then transfer the downloaded package to another machine.

After downloading, however, all I can find is the installed files, there is no sign of the download package. The download is from Ubuntu.

Is there a way I can download a package without installing it?

L18L

Re: Downloading, but not installing packages

#2 Post by L18L »

drongo wrote:Is there a way I can download a package without installing it?
Yes, one of them is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90541

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Manually download it from a site like ibiblio and choose your save folder when your downloader asks.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

look in /tmp perhaps....
just a guess
mike

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

The ability to save downloaded PETs when used to install to a system has been asked for over years. But, it is NOT a standard feature in MOST PUPs. There are ONLY 2 and they are the 64bit FATDOG and LightHouse64 where your download system extensions are saved. None in 32bit, as far as I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I do believe that there are several tools around in Puppyland that may address this need.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

as some of you know I do a lot of puppy collecting for transfer to archive.org and have never had issues with downloading and problems with extensions

as mentioned click download and then save away

if the browser is not told a download location in the settings/preference options then it will go to /tmp as suggested, if you not familiar then they become 'lost'

this was the most difficult thing for me to grasp when I ditched windows as I didn't understand /mnt/drive back then, too many scary options like /usr and /bin.....

so OP - set the download location in your browser preferences and download away - no problems

** some downloads from nluug mirror (which is much faster) can show double the original file size and requires wget command line to safely grab them, at this stage best you use ibiblio **

:)

edit: if you have already downloaded something but can't find it, use pfind from the filesystem menu to track it down :)h

drongo

#7 Post by drongo »

Thanks for all the replies guys, but none of them quite hit the spot.

Of course I used Pfind to look for etherape files after installing. You get lots of results but none of them are the original package.

It is not in /tmp.

I'm quite happy to download stuff using a browser to a known directory, that isn't really the issue.

The name of the package in package manager doesn't have the URL for the file being downloaded because after you click on it you get a choice of download options, so there isn't a unique URL.

I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu repositories so I don't know the name of the file I need to download. None of the options seem to match the name in ppm exactly.

I don't want to download source and compile.

So I guess my question should have been:-

How do I find a download url from an entry in PPM?

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

drongo wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys, but none of them quite hit the spot.

Of course I used Pfind to look for etherape files after installing. You get lots of results but none of them are the original package.

It is not in /tmp.

I'm quite happy to download stuff using a browser to a known directory, that isn't really the issue.

The name of the package in package manager doesn't have the URL for the file being downloaded because after you click on it you get a choice of download options, so there isn't a unique URL.

I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu repositories so I don't know the name of the file I need to download. None of the options seem to match the name in ppm exactly.

I don't want to download source and compile.

So I guess my question should have been:-

How do I find a download url from an entry in PPM?
What do you get when you google: download etherape (and the name of your distro)?

ally

#9 Post by ally »

ally

#10 Post by ally »

googled etherape, found location, downloaded a file

Attachments
Screenshot_2014-02-19_092127.png
etherape downloaded
(129.62 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

ally wrote:googled etherape, found location, downloaded a file

It really is not that difficult.:D

drongo

#12 Post by drongo »

Well maybe I'm just being dim, but Puppy is a cut down distro without all the junk that other linuxes have.

How do I solve any dependency problems?

Even if you use PPM lots of the more complex programs just won't run.

ally

#13 Post by ally »

hey drongo

I would suggest where possible you locate a .pet or .sfs sile created for puppy for the application of choice

if you cannot then you can use the ppm and select 'download only' instead of 'download and install' so you can transfer them to your offline machine

you can also use 'check dependencies install pkg' from the setup menu

if you would to provide puppy version and application details I'm sure we can help

OscarTalks

Re: Saving packages downloaded from Puppy repository

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

drongo wrote:I want to download etherape to an internet-connected machine and then transfer the downloaded package to another machine.
The download is from Ubuntu.
So not ibiblio but:-
http://packages.ubuntu.com
Which has a search facilty and will list all dependencies too.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

drongo - I feel your pain. I have always wished that the PPM would have two buttons - one labelled "Install package" and the other labelled "Download package for later use"

I recently stumbled across a comment somewhere on this forum (sorry, can't find it right at the moment) where the poster said the way around this problem is to click the "Examine dependencies" button and THEN you will be given an option to download and save the package for later use. (I am not 100% sure I've got this right as I did not try it at the time, but that is what I seem to remember...)

drongo

#16 Post by drongo »

Thanks greengeek and OscarTalks,

I vaguely recall that earlier Puppies may have had a "download for later use" or similarly named option for pets. There is no pet for etherape as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure i was able to do something like this on some earlier incarnation of the ppm but that might just be a faulty memory and wishful thinking.

The examine dependencies (or whatever it is called) option takes you to an Ubuntu page with info about the package. I think this option may have worked (i.e. given an option to download only) on earlier Puppies before they started being binary compatible with Ubuntu, Slackware etc.

Ironically, etherape actually has few dependencies so in this case I could probably download it from almost anywhere and it would probably work. I was thinking more about other, more complex packages.

I guess I'll have to start using Linux properly instead of relying on others to do all the work!

Thanks for all the replies.

drongo

#17 Post by drongo »

I thought I had put the Puppy version in the title of the original post.

It's Precise 5.6.1.

The Subject and Subject Description may have been "genericised" by a mod. It doesn't look like my style of writing and this has happened to me once or twice before, or maybe I'm just getting paranoid.

Plus, I wouldn't have put Puppy repository as in this instance it was an Ubuntu repository.

Sorry for any confusion caused but this is really out of my hands now, the title doesn't exactly match the query to my mind.

Thanks again to all respondents.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

guess no 2 /root/.packages.

Wherever it is it is temporary so catching the right moment is a good idea.

the terminal commend ldd is a helpful for resolving dependancies...use on binaries and libraries.

Many times the problem occurs when grabbing say a python based application which the package manager won't have a clue about as far as I know.

I only grab software outside of this forum using debian and sometimes ubuntu packages website...once you are familiar it tells you everything you need to do and humans make better wizards anyday.

mike

drongo

#19 Post by drongo »

Hi mikeb,

Pfind pointed me to the etherape file in /root/.packages but that just gives you a list of file locations.

The problem is that the installation is so fast the original package disappears (somewhere?) before you have a chance to go looking for it!

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Hmm yes and trying to grab the url equally unlikely...only script hacking would solve this it seems.

I recommended using the packages website...you are getting exactly the same files but in a way that's to your convenience.

mike