How to create & mount encrypted Save files?

For discussions about security.
cubecheat

How to create & mount encrypted Save files?

#1 Post by cubecheat »

I just found out today that I can click on an encrypted save file to mount it from within puppy. It prompts me for my password, then allows me to view it, just as though I'd mounted it like a .iso file.

My question: Is there a way to create save files from within puppy, without going through a shutdown? I'd like to use it as an encrypted container to hold private stuff, instead of having to archive+bcrypt it every time. And yes, I know about the encfs pets, I'm just looking for a different way.

Any suggestions guys?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hey CC, until you get a direct response >> an :idea: and a program.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Tell us which Puppy and how you're using it (booting from CD with Save file on HDD, frugal install, etc..)

cubecheat

#4 Post by cubecheat »

Flash wrote:Tell us which Puppy and how you're using it (booting from CD with Save file on HDD, frugal install, etc..)
I am on Puppy Slacko 5.6, running from a savefile on bootable usb stick.

watchdog

Re: How to create & mount encrypted Save files?

#5 Post by watchdog »

cubecheat wrote: My question: Is there a way to create save files from within puppy, without going through a shutdown? I'd like to use it as an encrypted container to hold private stuff, instead of having to archive+bcrypt it every time.
If you want an encrypted container to hold private stuff you shouldn't create an encrypted savefile which stores personalizations, profiles and programs, too: you need an encryption' s software such as truecrypt. You can create a private encrypted container for your stuff by it which you can mount in every puppy you use.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84794

Alternative to the portable one is the original from:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

which I prefer.

Install it and click Settings-Preferences-System integration: set it to not use kernel cryptographic services. Then create your container.

cubecheat

#6 Post by cubecheat »

Thanks watchdog. I hadn't thought about using truecrypt. Why do you perfer the non-portable version?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Not that you caught it..
I am working on a similar thing. I got tired of my pupsave always growing due to emails, so I made a separate encrypted truecrypt volume, copied my .mozilla directory over to it, and replaced /root/.mozilla with a symbolic link to that directory. Worked like a charm! Now I can keep a tiny pupsave file, 64MB (although I had done a remaster earlier, to get truecrypt, gnupg, enigmai, etc. out of the pupsave and into the puppy sfs file).
Then again, I posted for your interest, not mine.

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

cubecheat wrote:Thanks watchdog. I hadn't thought about using truecrypt. Why do you perfer the non-portable version?
Only because I began to use the original one and so I go on. I install truecrypt in every puppy I use and it always works.