Comments on Precise 5.7.1

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Cadejo

Comments on Precise 5.7.1

#1 Post by Cadejo »

Team, All,

After switching to precise 5.7.1, though it is the LTS. It appears as if it is almost viewed as "fringe" or "unpuppy" like by the rest of the Puppy Linux community. And I agree, but it is still great and unique, and does have some disadvantages, so here's a quick review.

1. Precise is very heavy on resources, I'm sure this is part due to the fact that it maintains binary compatibility with a very popular upstream. For that same reason above, it allows for installation of massive "bloat" utilities, these are not custom made lean Pets made by the devs on the forums.

2. It is very nice with hardware, it's fantastic with printers, and palm-pilots alike, very little fuss in the HW department.

3. Do not run this distro on old or underpowered machines, give it some room to breath, modern'ish PC's only.

4. You can almost build an Ubuntu from scratch! In a Arch sort of way.

5. Very drag and drop'ish don't have to worry about compiling from source or tarballs, got .deb? Ok!

While sometimes I think about rolling back to the Lucid or even the 4's or the 2's. It brings to light something about Puppy that is unique. It allows you to built your OS how you want it, it's about choice, it's about freedom. I sacrifice performance for compatibility. Oh, and I can fit my OS in my pocket ;)

Pelo

Vive Lucid

#2 Post by Pelo »

"it allows for installation of massive "bloat" utilities, these are not custom made lean Pets made by the devs on the forums."
eh oui yes, the engine is new, but it has only old cars hanging out!
Furthermore a lot of software disappear from Ubuntu deposits

Cadejo

#3 Post by Cadejo »

Unfortunately, I outgrew the distro and am now running on WattOS. It was not a matter of preference, but that of capability, I realized as I built my puppy up and up. It was turning into a standard Debian/Ubuntu build. As an experiment, I compared my Puppy's speed to that of a WattOS, and determined that they were commensurate.

Now I'm all about choice, and freedom. I'm not saying anyone distro is better then the other, just that for my specific application, on my specific platform, I needed a closer compatibility with Debian.