Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 09:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
What's to replace opera-12.1x ?
Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:14    Post subject:  

sheldonisaac wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
Another possible replacement for Opera (for those who want one) is Vivaldi, which is being developed by former Opera developers. I'm using it now in Sparky and it looks good.

Thanks, Colonel. May we have a link, please?
I've been using Opera for many years, currently 12.16; and usually under Lucid Puppy from rerwin.
I did look at Vivaldi in the past, but have forgotten how it seemed.

Thanks again,
Sheldon

Sure Sheldon, I should have included the link in my last post;

https://vivaldi.com

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Slint 14.2.1.1, LXLE 14.04.5, Pardus 17.4, CrunchBang++ and Mint Debian 3.
Marv

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2016, 17:13    Post subject:  

Thanks for the reminder and link. Took a quick look at the current vivaldi. Running ok under LxPupTahr 15.12. I just extracted it to a folder in my EXT2 work partition and ran it there from a terminal using
Code:
./vivaldi-bin --user-data-dir=./profile
so it would run as root. I'd make a wrapper and move that profile into my Browser_Data directory with the rest of the browser profiles if I were to use it permanently. Pretty good experience; flexible themes, imports bookmarks from ancient Opera Smile , quick loading and rendering, Ghostery installs ok, pretty good tab handling but like all webkit/chrome derivs insists on tabs above address bar. I'll give it a pass for now and stay with my Frankencombo of Opera 12.16 and the newest chromium with pepperflash on SFS but integrated mail (M3) in Vivaldi is coming and that may tilt the balance for me.
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, LxPupBionic, upupbb and upupcc for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Mayou

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 03:22    Post subject: a shopping women Puppy Linux.  

Opera bookmarks are nice for shopping at home. I miss however forum a topic for a shopping women Puppy Linux.
shopping.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.59 KB
 Viewed   681 Time(s)

shopping.jpg

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 04:08    Post subject:  

Unfortunately Opera has become outdated, pity as it was a very good browser. I would go with the latest Seamonkey, very good and generally smaller than the other bloats. For general browsing I run Opera Mini (which is still being developed).
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:15    Post subject:  

nic007 (in part) wrote:
Unfortunately Opera has become outdated

Good morning, nic007. I'm not familiar with browsers. What difficulties might I encounter by using Opera 12.16?

Thank you.
Sheldon

rokytnji

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 13:37    Post subject: Chinese companies want to buy Opera for $1.2 billion
Subject description: And it sounds like the browser-maker will accept the deal.

Shucks and golly.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/10/opera-1-2-billion-buyout-offer/

Quote:
Good morning, nic007. I'm not familiar with browsers. What difficulties might I encounter by using Opera 12.16?

I ran Opera 9 mini on my Blackberry phone . Till my phone hardware died.
I had no problems running it.

Rauri does not work for Opera anymore. I think he is now working with the Vilvadi team.
Here are some of his old thoughts.

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/12/23/installing-12-16-alongside-modern-opera/

I'd give 12 a try and find out for myself if there are any pitfalls or not. But that is just me.
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 15:04    Post subject:  

sheldonisaac wrote:
nic007 (in part) wrote:
Unfortunately Opera has become outdated

Thank you.
Sheldon

Some sites just don't display correctly anymore and/or force you to use something else eg. mega.nz (which annoyingly asks that you update your browser to the latest version before giving access).
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2016, 15:10    Post subject: Re: Chinese companies want to buy Opera for $1.2 billion
Subject description: And it sounds like the browser-maker will accept the deal.

rokytnji wrote:
Shucks and golly.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/10/opera-1-2-billion-buyout-offer/

Quote:

I ran Opera 9 mini on my Blackberry phone . Till my phone hardware died.
I had no problems running it.

Rauri does not work for Opera anymore. I think he is now working with the Vilvadi team.
Here are some of his old thoughts.

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/12/23/installing-12-16-alongside-modern-opera/

I'd give 12 a try and find out for myself if there are any pitfalls or not. But that is just me.

I run Opera MIni on my desktop/laptop via an emulator.
redandwhitestripes

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2016, 08:12    Post subject:  

I'm guessing folks are aware but it's not actually been mentioned that the latest Opera is Linux-compatible again.

It looks good and runs smooth. Only problem so far is that it's not detecting my google hangout plugin.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2016, 09:05    Post subject:  

I'm assuming people in this thread don't want anything to do with Chrome or its re-skins.
redandwhitestripes

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:14    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
I'm assuming people in this thread don't want anything to do with Chrome or its re-skins.

I'm assuming people can make their own decisions. Quite a good assumption, I think.
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:34    Post subject:  

redandwhitestripes wrote:
... the latest Opera is Linux-compatible again.

Well that's good news, and should make some folks around here happy.

I just gave their opera-stable_35.0.2066.68_i386.deb (~46 mb) a shot on Precise 5.7.1 - complained about missing libs; libnspr4 and libnss3 - installed those two (~3 mb) from PPM, and now complains about sandbox and permissions. That's as far as I got. I might give it a go on my (non-root Razz ) Mint 17 box...

*edit - tried chmod 4755 /usr/lib/opera/opera_sandbox - and it no longer complains, shows as running in lxtask - but nothing's visible on the desktop...

Bob
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb 2016, 16:45    Post subject:  

On some older machines I still run (Presto) Opera 12.16 but I install everything in /mnt/home outside of PupSave. The profile and cache data can also be set to store here as well so nothing fills up the save-file. I like to have a range of browsers available in this way and the old Opera is nice as a semi-light browser.

As for the latest stable Chromium based Opera 35.0.2066.68 32bit it does run for me in Precise 5.7.1 and even Wheezy with just a few of the usual tweaks to the launcher/wrapper. I didn't need any extra libs.

I believe that the Chromium source code has now developed in such a way as to make support for NPAPI plugins extremely difficult, so this is probably why Google Hangouts/Talk plugin no longer works. Java will probably not work either.

Out of the box this Opera has no flash 11 support or pepper flash. I also find that in some cases it continues to run after exit. There is some networking stuff going on which throws errors. I can't see any way to turn off the updater in the preferences and this may be the cause.

I recall I looked at the development version of this Opera a few months ago and concluded that I prefer Slimjet as a Chromium derivative and I would still say the same thing today, but some people may like it and it is good to have options for modern browsers for Puppy.

EDIT:- Here is what worked in my test. Seemed better in Slacko 5.7 BUT that does need libgconf2 as usual.
https://yadi.sk/d/kbkFDOa3pGaxF
opera-35.0.2066.68-precise.jpg
 Description   Disable setuid sandbox and infobars and it runs in Precise
 Filesize   34.11 KB
 Viewed   487 Time(s)

opera-35.0.2066.68-precise.jpg

opera-35.0.2066.68-wheezy.jpg
 Description   Even runs in Wheezy which has glibc 2.13
 Filesize   40.62 KB
 Viewed   505 Time(s)

opera-35.0.2066.68-wheezy.jpg

Last edited by OscarTalks on Sat 27 Feb 2016, 13:39; edited 1 time in total
Moat

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2016, 06:25    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
I recall I looked at the development version of this Opera a few months ago and concluded that I prefer Slimjet as a Chromium derivative and I would still say the same thing today...

Thanks OscarTalks - being I'm not a huge fan of either the old Opera or Chrome/Chromium to begin with, I'll just take your word for it and leave my cursory test as is, for now. Just thought I'd give it a quick look-see, but sounds like there's a bit of dev work ahead before it might evolve into a real "contender".

Bob
WoodenNickle

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2016, 22:00    Post subject: What's to replace opera?
Subject description: My download of Palemoon

[quote="musher0"]Hello, Puppy-ists!

If you'd like a start page for Pale Moon that doesn't use the Google
search engine -- with its analytics and spying stuff, here's one!

I've replaced the Google URL with StartPage, so the search results should
be pretty much the same. I also substituted the WhineDose thumbnail
with Softpedia's, and then added a thumnbnail for DistroWatch at the
bottom. I didn't touch anything else. I understand that the people at Pale
Moon probably want the info and the advertising "royalties" from Google,
but...

musher0

I downloaded the 32 bit version & started exploring it. The default search engine is duck duck go! A welcome change from the info suckers. Shockwave flash had to be downloaded & installed. No big deal with the help from a multitude of Puppy Linux posters and contributors. Have to update jre also. I agree, Moonchild Productions may want to consider paying a little attention to Linux users. My main reason for switching was because of S/M & FF both crashing every 5 minutes. Palemoon has crashed 3 or 4 times over the last 3 days. I'm gonna suggest they might want to browse around a bit on the best forum on the internet! Wink
Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: