What's to replace opera-12.1x ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Colonel Panic

#16 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed links2 from the pet, and am posting from it now (in Puppy Fire Hydrant). It is fast and works very well if you don't need JavaScript, which can be compiled into it but is a bit hit and miss (and I believe later versions of links don't have it).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

cimarron

#17 Post by cimarron »

Just saw this, for anyone still interested in Opera for linux:

Opera Finally Sees New Linux Update With Opera 24 Developer Stream

rokytnji

#18 Post by rokytnji »

https://gist.github.com/ruario/99522c94838d0680633c

Edit: My bad for not mentioning that the above instructions are made by a opera employee who uses Slackware and is a respected member at Linux
Questions.org

musher0

#19 Post by musher0 »

Thanks cimarron, thanks rokytnji, for this info.

That opera version 24 is a 64-bit only version, right?

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

666philb

#20 Post by 666philb »

OscarTalks wrote:Here is Otter Browser as mentioned by James C
Running in Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11
Problem is it needs Qt5 which I installed (5.2.1) via the official installer but it is not recognising my keyboard configuration so I can't type anything in.
Hopefully this could be resolved, just wanted to do a quick test out of curiosity.
hi OscarTalks,

yes the keyboard problem with qt5 has had me scratching my head.
this fix has solved the problem for me in other qt5 apps .. not tried in otter yet http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/i ... 09303.html
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

666philb wrote:The keyboard problem with qt5 has had me scratching my head.
this fix has solved the problem for me in other qt5 apps .. not tried in otter yet http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/i ... 09303.html
Hello 666philb,

Thanks for posting that. Looks to me like the missing space before the backslash is a typo bug in that file. The other similar lines seem to have the space. I think I will edit the file in my remasters and see if any unwanted side-effects crop up. I might take another look at otter browser when I get some time.
Oscar in England

neerajkolte

#22 Post by neerajkolte »

Any one wants an SFS for Opera-developer_25.0.1613 get it from here HERE its made for Fatdog64-700.

The discussion about how it's made can be found HERE.

Edit: Forgot to tell you.... I also had to install libnss which also installed libnspr as a dependancy in my Fatdog64-700.

- Neeraj.
Last edited by neerajkolte on Fri 10 Oct 2014, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

nic007

#23 Post by nic007 »

Also still using Opera 11as full featured browser. For general day to day browsing I use Opera Mini. The trillions of extensions to be installed for Firefox was the first thing and still the main thing that puts me off from using it. Opera is also faster in my experience. The newer browsers are also getting massive in size, a problem for older machines.
Seamonkey is actually not too bad, is there a recent pet for the browser only (stripped of the mail, etc.)?

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Seamonkey is actually not too bad, is there a recent pet for the browser only (stripped of the mail, etc.)?
not sure if that would save much space due to the nature of how its built...very similar to trying to shrink libreoffice.
But same problem... getting too many crap sites using the latest javascript so blank pages are the result so need a newer renderer without the penalty of stupid bloat. There is that firefox fork called...erm...there's a thread on it here somewhere...which looked promising but it needs SSE2....supposed to cut out some of the surplus stuff.

libnss/nspr are mozilla libs ...usually in the path or linked to /usr/lib unless seamonkey/firefox are not present

mike

Pelo

Slimboat (Petit Navire)

#25 Post by Pelo »

The famous Puppy by ASRI for Pupils and their teachers uses Slimboat (Petit Navire) without any trouble. And Pelo (myself) replaced old Firefox on european Lucid 525 named MetroPuppy by its hungarian producer. Why not Opera ? because too slow. Simboat does the job on old computers still alive in 'Ministère de l'Education Nationale'
Tried on Virtual machine to check the boot of an remasterized ISO of metro Puppy.
Attachments
slimboat.jpg
Nice look, at least new look.
(78.84 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

musher0

#26 Post by musher0 »

Hi pelo.

This is not the first time you've mentioned it. You're a fan of Slimboat,
aren't you? Frankly, I never had much success with it myself.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#27 Post by musher0 »

Double. Sorry.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Colonel Panic

#28 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:
not sure if that would save much space due to the nature of how its built...very similar to trying to shrink libreoffice.
But same problem... getting too many crap sites using the latest javascript so blank pages are the result so need a newer renderer without the penalty of stupid bloat. There is that firefox fork called...erm...there's a thread on it here somewhere...which looked promising but it needs SSE2....supposed to cut out some of the surplus stuff.

libnss/nspr are mozilla libs ...usually in the path or linked to /usr/lib unless seamonkey/firefox are not present

mike
Mike,

Was the firefox fork you were thinking of called Pale Moon? That one needs SSE2.

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#29 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another possible replacement for Opera (for those who want one) is Vivaldi, which is being developed by former Opera developers. I'm using it now in Sparky and it looks good.

sheldonisaac

#30 Post by sheldonisaac »

Colonel Panic wrote:Another possible replacement for Opera (for those who want one) is Vivaldi, which is being developed by former Opera developers. I'm using it now in Sparky and it looks good.
Thanks, Colonel. May we have a link, please?
I've been using Opera for many years, currently 12.16; and usually under Lucid Puppy from rerwin.
I did look at Vivaldi in the past, but have forgotten how it seemed.

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Colonel Panic

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

sheldonisaac wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Another possible replacement for Opera (for those who want one) is Vivaldi, which is being developed by former Opera developers. I'm using it now in Sparky and it looks good.
Thanks, Colonel. May we have a link, please?
I've been using Opera for many years, currently 12.16; and usually under Lucid Puppy from rerwin.
I did look at Vivaldi in the past, but have forgotten how it seemed.

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Sure Sheldon, I should have included the link in my last post;

https://vivaldi.com

Marv

#32 Post by Marv »

Thanks for the reminder and link. Took a quick look at the current vivaldi. Running ok under LxPupTahr 15.12. I just extracted it to a folder in my EXT2 work partition and ran it there from a terminal using

Code: Select all

./vivaldi-bin --user-data-dir=./profile
so it would run as root. I'd make a wrapper and move that profile into my Browser_Data directory with the rest of the browser profiles if I were to use it permanently. Pretty good experience; flexible themes, imports bookmarks from ancient Opera :) , quick loading and rendering, Ghostery installs ok, pretty good tab handling but like all webkit/chrome derivs insists on tabs above address bar. I'll give it a pass for now and stay with my Frankencombo of Opera 12.16 and the newest chromium with pepperflash on SFS but integrated mail (M3) in Vivaldi is coming and that may tilt the balance for me.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mayou

a shopping women Puppy Linux.

#33 Post by Mayou »

Opera bookmarks are nice for shopping at home. I miss however forum a topic for a shopping women Puppy Linux.
Attachments
shopping.jpg
(33.59 KiB) Downloaded 795 times

nic007

#34 Post by nic007 »

Unfortunately Opera has become outdated, pity as it was a very good browser. I would go with the latest Seamonkey, very good and generally smaller than the other bloats. For general browsing I run Opera Mini (which is still being developed).

sheldonisaac

#35 Post by sheldonisaac »

nic007 (in part) wrote:Unfortunately Opera has become outdated
Good morning, nic007. I'm not familiar with browsers. What difficulties might I encounter by using Opera 12.16?

Thank you.
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P