HD install and having to reset network each boot.

Booting, installing, newbie
777funk

HD install and having to reset network each boot.

#1 Post by 777funk »

Curious why I would have to Delete and reconfigure network each boot?

I would like to have Puppy behave more like a typical OS and automatically connect to my network (and the internet) each boot. Is this possible?

Similarly, I'd like it to auto mount to a network folder (videos on my Ubuntu machine).

Any help would be great!

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: HD install and having to reset network each boot.

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

777funk wrote:Curious why I would have to Delete and reconfigure network each boot?

I would like to have Puppy behave more like a typical OS and automatically connect to my network (and the internet) each boot. Is this possible?

Similarly, I'd like it to auto mount to a network folder (videos on my Ubuntu machine).

Any help would be great!
i've done roughly ten puppy installs and have never had to delete and reconfigure the network and all my machines have always automatically connected after the initial setup (through either frisbee or 'barry's simple network setup' program). the untypical behavior is untypical for puppy as well. something else has gone wrong somewhere.

(well, you said ANY help...)

777funk

#3 Post by 777funk »

Interesting. I wonder what went wrong. Yeah, everytime I boot I end up having to go through Barry's and delete the existing network profile then resetup to connect. Maybe a re-install is in order.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

If wireless....>>> Use Frisbee.

And always post your Puppy version and hardware.

Chris.

777funk

#5 Post by 777funk »

Sure and sorry about that! I have Precise 5.7 installed (Full) to HD and am using it on an old Dell Desktop P4 1.6Ghz w/2GB RAM. Wired network (Ubuntu).

Jody Thornton

#6 Post by Jody Thornton »

I'm having the same issue with Precise v5.7.1. My WLAN does not automatically reconnect upon boot, say every two or three reboots it loses connectivity. Then I need to delete and recreate the WLAN profile.

Now what's happened has added a new wrinkle: I have an orphaned profile that remains from when I connected to an incorrect SSID. So now when I connect to the correct WLAN, the old orphaned profile remains, and I cannot delete it. Any takers on why I can't do this?
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are willing to do some testing, look at the alternate connection manager here.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Jody Thornton: No reply? I can guarantee you that PWF will never lose or orphan your profiles.

Jody Thornton

#9 Post by Jody Thornton »

Hi There:

I worked around with Peasy Wi-Fi. What I was hoping to do was figure out how it edited scripts in autoconnect.conf, and try to accomplish the same thing without having the program installed. Then I could just use Barry's Simple LAN Manager to indicate traffic flow in the notification tray.

Next I tried Frisbee. It's almost perfect, except a blue puppy dog appears and notifies you (using balloon captions) on all stages of connectivity. I'd prefer it works quietly.

With Peasy, I just hate having two WLAN notification icons on the bottom-right near the clock. But yes it did work as well as Frisbee.

I wonder if Barry's Simple app lost automatic reconnection every so often because of the network strength changing every so often. If I created the profile while my network strength was say 51/100, it retains that in the auto connection files (I can't remember which conf file it was). So perhaps when the strength changes, it invalidates the profile. Just a thought.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jody Thornton wrote:I worked around with Peasy Wi-Fi. What I was hoping to do was figure out how it edited scripts in autoconnect.conf, and try to accomplish the same thing without having the program installed.
Please explain.
With Peasy, I just hate having two WLAN notification icons on the bottom-right near the clock.
Delete /root/Startup/peasywifi_tray and run it from the Network menu.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

I wonder if Barry's Simple app lost automatic reconnection every so often because of the network strength changing every so often.
At boot:
The auto connection is only tried once.
If the signal strength was too low to detect or get good communication, it would not connect.
You would need to run the network connection tool to connect.

rcrsn51 is trying to improve this. So help him out with his version of a connection manager.
Your testing is useful information for him.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Jody Thornton

#12 Post by Jody Thornton »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:I worked around with Peasy Wi-Fi. What I was hoping to do was figure out how it edited scripts in autoconnect.conf, and try to accomplish the same thing without having the program installed.
Please explain.

Well I wanted to see what scripts were edited since I understand Peasy is simply a front-end for doing WLAN connections manually no? I wanted to see if I could duplicate it's function. However, the tip below may satisfy my needs all the same.
With Peasy, I just hate having two WLAN notification icons on the bottom-right near the clock.
Delete /root/Startup/peasywifi_tray and run it from the Network menu.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

The guts of PWF is just three lines - 33,39 and 403.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

Jody Thornton wrote:I wonder if Barry's Simple app lost automatic reconnection every so often because of the network strength changing every so often. If I created the profile while my network strength was say 51/100, it retains that in the auto connection files (I can't remember which conf file it was). So perhaps when the strength changes, it invalidates the profile. Just a thought.
I do wonder how well Puppy copes when the wifi router switches to another channel - as it might when there is a lot of interference from other routers nearby. I don't know if puppy handles that seamlessly or has to reconnect from scratch...