New to Puppy, been using Linux for a while

Booting, installing, newbie
poorguy

New to Puppy, been using Linux for a while

#1 Post by poorguy »

hey everyone,

since i am new to puppy linux i'm starting here.
been a linux user for almost one year and enjoy iearning it as i use it.
ubuntu 14.04 LTS is my main driver and no complaints.

i was introduced to puppy linux on a different forum and tried it and like it.
it is really different than what i was used to using and a little bit of a learning curve. it took a few tries to get my install done to the way i wanted it but i did and it is great. i like the simple UI and the speed is just amazing.
for my PC needs it does what i need to do very well. there is lots to learn and so new adventure here and lots of questions. the forum appears to have lots of useful info. well that is all for now and glad to be here.

life is good.
the poorguy

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Welcome!

A note of warning -- savefiles tend to spontaneously corrupt a little. If you've done a frugal install (which you should, as it comes with benefits) I hope you either picked 'save to folder' or keep the important stuff on a separate partition. (I do both, and I archive the packages I've installed just in case. It's come in handy once or twice...)

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

Hi, and welcome to the forums. :)

If you have doubts, don't hesitate in ask here, this forums are very friendly.

Just a few tips to make your life easier:
- to search in the forums, go here: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine

- always provide this info: which version of Puppy you are using, how it's installed, and a brief description of your hardware.

Enjoy.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

poorguy

#4 Post by poorguy »

thanks for the welcomes.

i did a full install to my hdd and did the save folder to hdd.
looks like a good link for help.

i will check into the frugal install and benifits of it.
i basically just a web cruser and stream videos so my PC needs are minimal.

install tahrpup 6.0 on a emachines t3092 amd athlon xp 3000 / 2.0gb ddr ram / nvidia fx 5200 graphics / 20gb hdd. the processor is limited as it only runs SSE instruction.this PC is from 2004 but will make a good web cruiser.
it is the reason and how i was introduced to puppy linux. new life given to older hardware.

life is good.
the poorguy

PS @ Mike Walsh.

hey Mike i made it here.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, poorguy. And 'Welcome' to the kennels from me..

Glad to see you found us! I take it your confirmation email was in your 'Spam' folder, then? My Puppy stuff always ends up there; dunno why.

Anything ya need to know, just ask. And please, do heed Galbi's 'reminder'; it always helps to provide hardware specs, etc.....makes things easier for everyone all round. I don't have to do this, 'cos my specs are all in my sig..!

I see you've gone for the 'full' install. It's not something many 'Puppians' do, actually. Starhawk's quite right; a 'frugal' install ( and archiving all your .pets & SFS packages) does indeed have many side benefits.....including the ability to very easily restore your system when it goes wrong. I do exactly the same.

Spend a bit of time doing some research; that's the best advice I can give to start with. It pays off, eventually.....trust me! You'll find some useful stuff in the 'Stickies' at the top of the first page in the Beginner's forum; might take a bit of wading through, but it is worth it. A couple or three hours doing your groundwork will make life much easier later on...

They're a good bunch on here. Be nice to them.....and they will, for the most part, be nice right back at ya..!

Mike :wink:

poorguy

#6 Post by poorguy »

hey mike,

yep i agree that doing the homework does payoff.
i am putting together a newer desktop that i got at a garage sale today. digging through my parts boxes and getting things ready to install.

this time i am going to try live run with the frugal install since it all is loaded to the ram.
like that a lot for the extra security.

if everything is running from a live cd or usb and no hdd is needed than no cleaning as such is needed to be done as nothing is left after shutting down power.

is this correct.

thanks.
the poorguy

can't post specs yet as i am still in the build phase for a few more days.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, poorguy.
poorguy wrote:if everything is running from a live cd or usb and no hdd is needed than no cleaning as such is needed to be done as nothing is left after shutting down power.

is this correct?
Mm. Basically, yes. Y'see, with a frugal install, the whole file-system is 'read-only'; you essentially start off with a brand, spanking new, squeaky clean 'Pup' every time you boot. When Puppy boots up, it reads the system stuff; it also reads the config stuff (from your save-folder), and combines everything into a 'virtual' file-system set up in RAM. This accounts for Puppy's amazing speed! This is what's happening when you see the initial stuff on screen about 'Setting up the layered file-system' and 'Making the file-system usable', etc. With me so far?

When a 'frugal' Puppy shuts down, what it's saving to your save-folder is all the config stuff, including any changes you may have made to programs, apps, system configuration, etc. Puppy's 'system' stuff, i,e., the file-system, folders, etc., just disappears.....only to be re-read back into RAM, squeaky-clean, next time you boot again. It saves the real file-system itself from getting corrupted, as it never actually gets written to.....only the virtual one.

Also, although the real file-system never gets written to, and therefore can't be corrupted, your save-folder, as starhawk says, can suffer from gradual deterioration, since it is being continually written to. It doesn't hurt to run an 'fsck' check every so often.....just to make sure the file-system in the save-folder itself is OK. There's plenty of info available on how to do this.

I hope this is making sense! Something else for you to chew on; if you have a frugal Puppy on a USB stick, and want to transfer it to a hard-drive partition (or vice versa), there is no need to faff about with cloning software, like you have to with a full install. All you need to do is literally copy'n'paste (or drag'n'drop, since you can have as many ROX windows open at a time as you want) the whole system from the one to the other, run the Grub4DOS boot config tool (in Menu>System), and.....Voila! You have a fully functional, working Puppy, that easily.

Puppy is absolutely unique in this respect. I don't know of any other OS, anywhere, that you can do this with.....with the exception, perhaps, of Knoppix (which I believe is where Barry K got the inspiration for Puppy from, all those years ago).

Lots to learn, isn't there? :lol: But it's all good fun...

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 15 Nov 2015, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

poorguy

#8 Post by poorguy »

hey mike,

thats kinda the way it sounded to me when i was reading it but wanted to make certain.
computers aren't new to me but running live session is but i am seeing many advantages of doing so.

really like the simple design that puppy has as i am all about simple but functional and puppy is surely that and more.

yeah there is tons of new things to learn and along with that and making old computers come alive again is fun at least in my opinion it is. there is still loads of cool old PC parts available that otherwise would just be destroyed.

alright mike i am going to do some more looking about the frugal install as this forum is loaded with resources.

thanks to all on this forum and thanks to you mike for introducing me to the puppy.

to all a good day and evening.
life is good.

the poorguy

drunkjedi

#9 Post by drunkjedi »

Another thing some people do is Remaster.

You just setup a puppy like you want with apps you want added or removed and then do a remaster, and then boot that remastered puppy.

This way they always run fresh no savefile.
But that's for later.
What I like about puppy is variety of ways you can use them, always run fresh, or make a save file, or make save folder and use ur entire partition never worrying about size of savefile, or add apps and remaster.

Me? I use puppy with a save folder but my puppy is mostly stock.
If I need an app, I do not install it but download that app's and it's dependencie's .debs from PPM and then make a .SFS file from it.
And load it only when I need it.

I have been using puppy for 2 years and not on an old system but on my intel i3 with 4gb ram self assembled PC with dual monitor setup.
I have a really old 1gb pen drive with 3 of my most frequently used pups.
Tahr64, Fatdog, Debian dog.

So in short, experiment and do whatever you like.
Puppy gives you freedom.

And this forum is full of helpful people.

Have fun.

drunkjedi

#10 Post by drunkjedi »

Oops double post.

poorguy

#11 Post by poorguy »

hey drunkjedi,

yeah i am seeing that puppy has many advantages depending on how it is installed.
i have a full install on hdd right now and it works great.
i picked up a desktop pc at a garage sale and after i get it together with better parts inside i am going to try the frugal install on a usb drive.
i plan on trying the different ways of the installs to see how each is.

the poorguy

rufwoof

#12 Post by rufwoof »

My own preference is frugal. Install grub4dos, get used to how to create menu.lst entries and thereafter all you need to do is grab a ISO of a puppy variant, open that ISO (ROX) to view, and drag and drop the vmlinuz, initrd and puppy sfs files into a directory (I usually create a separate directory for each pup) and add a entry to menu.lst to point to those. Thereafter when you boot you get the choice of which one to fire up.

I don't bother with savefiles. Keep puppy lean and mean, add everything else as SFS's that can be loaded/unloaded as required. That way the core puppy after a while (once you've got it how you like it) remains the same. i.e. boot the basic pup and make changes as you like to that (without loading any other big SFS's before remastering), and then remaster a new CD/ISO, and drop that CD/ISO vmlinuz, initrd and puppy sfs into grub4dos.

If you use SFS's to add apps, store data outside of puppy space, and perhaps use a portable firefox that's installed/stored on HDD (together with a online email account) then the core puppy can remain the exact same (no need for a savefile).

Once you have a lean 'factory fresh' pup that boots the exact same each and every time with everything else stored outside of puppy then you can browse/try things as much as you like and simply reboot if you screw things up or catch a virus ... and its all back to how you like it again. I try loads of apps and that reboot to clean option is great IMO. With installed read/write choices you might screw up the savefile/folder or configuration/lose you backup ...etc and end up back at square one having to reinstall and reconfigure all over again.

I've moved on a stage further and PXE (net) boot the same lean puppy image now. That way my PC doesn't even need any CD/USB/HDD. Similar to grub4dos but where the images are stored on a separate box and I use portable/external HDD's. I can sit down at any one of our three PC's and net boot any one of them equally, plug in the portable HDD and not even touch the Windows or whatever is on those PC's (no installation of grub4dos etc required). Just have to get into setup to disable secure boot and set the boot sequence to net/lan boot as one of the boot options (usually F12 tapped as the PC is booting).

If you fancy trying something like that out for yourself then this BIG (100MB) PDF (download it rather than trying to view it online) has a puppy with a PXE server all ready to go. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing. After booting go to the HOME directory and click on LoadTopDog script. That will perform a remaster (few seconds) download the latest firefox and download/install the rest of Wary 5.5 apps (abiword etc). Click on the PXE desktop icon thereafter and try to net boot from another PC on the same LAN (assuming they're also hard wired (ethernet)).

rufwoof

#13 Post by rufwoof »

poorguy wrote:i picked up a desktop pc at a garage sale and after i get it together with better parts inside i am going to try the frugal install on a usb drive.
Network card and PC memory (RAM) only is all you need, doesn't matter if the CD/DVD, USB ports or even HDD are *!$% as you can PXE net boot providing there's another PC/laptop that can boot a CD/USB on the same lan (behind the same router), ... and have a pup that runs in ram (fast) and saves to/from the cloud (googledrive or wherever) or if a USB port is working so much the better as you can save to that.

I boot one puppy PC and then serve that puppy image to another PC that's just basically ram, network card and motherboard, which then automatically remasters itself and becomes a PXE server itself. Left on that can then allows any other PC on the lan to net boot from that, even the original PC that served it (prior server becomes a client).

I keep intending to investigate the small/low power pc offerings - the likes of Raspberry pi and just leave that plugged in next to the smart TV (no fan/noise, lower power etc) as a PXE server.

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

I plan on trying the different ways of the installs to see how each is.
Thats the spirit!!

Some research and thinking out of the box ,trying things out is the way.

poorguy

#15 Post by poorguy »

hey guys,

yeah i like the idea of the frugal types of installs as i have been known to download and try different stuff and then regret it.

"tuition for the price of learning"

once learned then not a wasted experience.

i like the fact that if i do break something then all that is needed is to reboot and all perfect once again.

yeah i will download the guide from the link and see what its about and give it a try.
i going to have to get more usb drives to have on hand.

thanks for all the input as it is very helpful with this new learning experience and experimenting with the different installs.

the poorguy

poorguy

#16 Post by poorguy »

hello all,

created a portable usb frugal install. was able to update everything and the software center all saved back to the usb drive.

some software doesn't seem to run after it is installed is this normal for this type of install.
the OS runs real well and seems to save things from each session and when needed it all boots up and ready to go.

thanks.
the poorguy

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

some software doesn't seem to run after it is installed is this normal for this type of install.
NO!!!

We need details.
What program?
Installed it how?

If you used the Puppy Package Manager and installed stuff from a non-Puppy repository (Ubuntu, etc....)
Some stuff may not make a menu entry in Puppy.
You will need to run them from command line, by using the console.
Usually the name of the program is the command, but not always.
Sometimes you have to find out what exact file starts the program.

Basic info on installing additional programs.

First read this:
http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm
http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager (PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
(Limited to 5 at one time)
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

poorguy

#18 Post by poorguy »

hey bigpup,

tahrpup 6.0.3
PPM updated through updates in PPM.

downloaded from PPM / synaptic package manager / xsensors / appear to have installed but do not open.

intel dg33bu motherboard
intel e2220 dual core processor
intel GMA 3100 onboard graphics
intel G33 Express Chipset

thanks

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

Just curious -- custom build? or OEM (Dell, HP, etc)? If OEM -- what make and model?

poorguy

#20 Post by poorguy »

hey starhawk,

ok custom build i bought for $10.00 figured it was worth that.

no brand / no name / nothing but intel dg33bu on motherboard.

the poorguy