Boot everything to ram

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Benno_fra_DK

Boot everything to ram

#1 Post by Benno_fra_DK »

Based on the ubuntu mini iso, I have set up a system, that runs google chrome on the matchbox window manager.

I would like to PXE boot this as a ramdisk with everything running in ram, sort of the way Puppy linux does.

Can anyone here direct me to a howto or other resources that could explain me how to do this.

Thanks
Bendt

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Benno_fra_DK

PXE
You will need a PXE host which can respond to PXE calls so that a PC can boot the Ubuntu you provide. This has come to be known in Puppyland as a "Netboot server".

There is Lighthouse64 (LH64) which has a built-in Netboot server to do such for many/most Puppy distros. But, I am not sure how well suited it is for providing Ubuntu for PXE booting. In LH64, you find this subsystem via Menu>Network>Netboot server. Give it the ISO's pathname and it will do everything for you...everything. But, beware, in a few cases, this will not work, particularly on those distro ISOs which use Adrv-Zdrv, etc.

Also, for using Lighthouse64 for such as well as for setting up 32bit PUPs to do such, there are several documents floating around in this forum.

Lastly, I believe Ubuntu has documentation for PXE "Netbooting", as well.

Are you looking for a Puppy host for doing PXE booting or was there something else for booting you wanted?

Hope this helps

Benno_fra_DK

#3 Post by Benno_fra_DK »

I know how to set up the server and do all of the net booting. What I need to find out is how to set up the initrd.gz containing all of the ubuntu file system.