Slacko 5.7 layers

Booting, installing, newbie
rufwoof

Slacko 5.7 layers

#1 Post by rufwoof »

In Slacko 5.7 I want xvkbd and leafpad to both automatically open at the 'above' layer

I've tried all sorts such as adding

<Group>
<Class>xvkbd</Class>
<Name>xvkbd</Name>
<Option>layer:above</Option>
</Group>

to /etc/xdg/templates/__root__.jwmrc (amongst other places), but the window still opens at a NORMAL level.

I like to use a mouse with xvkbd and its associated word completion window that you can tailor to your own needs for entering text into browser fields. Opening a leafpad with common groups of words, sites, userids etc. is also helpful (cut and paste). But its annoying to have to click on the title bar to set the layer from normal to above each time that those apps are opened

Any suggestions of what else I might try?

TIA

MochiMoppel

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

<Name>xvkbd</Name>
<Name>leafpad</Name>
OR
<Class>XVkbd</Class>
<Class>Leafpad</Class>

(mind the capitalization!)

Complete it would look like this::

Code: Select all

<Group> 
 <Class>XVkbd</Class> 
 <Class>Leafpad</Class> 
 <Option>layer:above</Option> 
</Group>
I recommend to put it into /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. You have to run Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart JWM to activate the new setting.

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks MochiMoppel

Did the trick.

I left it in /etc/xdg/templates/__root__.jwmrc and just did a fixmenus and jwm -restart

May I ask how you identified the name (case and all)? I tried using xwininfo and clicking on the active windows but that didn't give that info.

I had partially got to a solution by opening leafpad with a --class=leafpad type command, but that didn't work for xvkbd

TA.

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

rufwoof wrote:May I ask how you identified the name (case and all)? I tried using xwininfo and clicking on the active windows but that didn't give that info.
xprop

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

Bless you.