JXS 5.7 - May 10 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Your work and @PeeBee's work are excellent examples. Externally so close in concept, look, and feel.

Are you sure you 2 aren't working together/collaborating? :) Great efforts!

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

gcmartin wrote:Your work and @PeeBee's work are excellent examples. Externally so close in concept, look, and feel.

Are you sure you 2 aren't working together/collaborating? :) Great efforts!
Thanks :D. No we do our pups individually, but I do check out other pups for inspiration.

peebee's LXpup is indeed :cool:
I think developers infuence one another and the good/popular ideas are passed along.

Just wanted to mention again that the patch is in the first post, and will be
removed once I build a new release.

Edit: a bit later. I had to modify the patch slightly, since I noticed a bug when I tried it in pfix=ram mode. This will fix the double icon problem with restarwm tint2. What it does is renames all the .desktop files in /root/.config/autostart so they are not read by puppy

Tote

#18 Post by Tote »

Hello Tman, very nice puppy, only problem I have so far is I can't run Pmusic, in the console it says, missing gtkdialog r512. I can't find it in the PPM.

Tman

#19 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Hello Tman, very nice puppy, only problem I have so far is I can't run Pmusic, in the console it says, missing gtkdialog r512. I can't find it in the PPM.
Hi Tote,

It appears there are 2 versions of gtkdialog installed.. I may have installed the older version when I was compiling apps for JXS.
Your problem should be fixed by deleting /usr/bin/gtkdialog and the symlink named /usr/bin/gtkdialog4

Code: Select all

rm -f /usr/bin/gtkdialog && rm -f /usr/bin/gtkdialog4
The new version is already installed in /usr/sbin, but it was not accessed because /usr/bin has priority in the path.

Thank you, for your report. I will fix this bug in the next release.

Tote

#20 Post by Tote »

Thank you Tman, that worked. :D

If I turn off warbar it comes back on next reboot, and opposite to that, if I activate conky it doesn't survive reboot. (Not a big deal. Just saying.)

Thanks again.

Tman

#21 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Thank you Tman, that worked. :D

If I turn off warbar it comes back on next reboot, and opposite to that, if I activate conky it doesn't survive reboot. (Not a big deal. Just saying.)

Thanks again.
Yes those are the default settings and they always reset when you restart.
If you want to change them, delete the symlink to wbar in the /root/Startup folder.
If you want to have conky activated every time after reboot, you can make a symlink (shortcut to) conky by dragging the needed script in /root/my-applications/bin to /root/Startup. The script is named something like toggle_conky.sh
I am posting this from my Android tablet and am not in Puppy at the moment, so the filename I gave you may or may not be exact.

Tote

#22 Post by Tote »

Yep, that worked. Thanks again. Still liking this, I may change Firefox for the latest version, but that's about all I'd want to change.

Nice one, Tman.

Smithy

#23 Post by Smithy »

Really nice pup Tman.

Noticed that the jwm tray height is busted, i.e you can't make the taskbar
thicker in height.

Do you know if this distro would run on older processors (say pentium 4, athlon single cpus, or is it really for dual/quad cores? I changed it to a gz compressed sfs for now. (I noticed a millisecond black screen when browsing web pages, even on dual core).

Just wondering if it is possible to use pngs instead of svg for network, firewall and ram indicators on the taskbar? I always liked ttux network icons and they look shinier than svg (adobe) things.

I think all the bugs are mostly sqooshed now in slacko 5.7!

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Smitty
Smithy wrote: ... Do you know if this distro would run on older processors (say pentium 4, athlon single cpus, or is it really for dual/quad cores? ...
You should find that this distro works on those, as well, OOTB.

Here to help

Smithy

#25 Post by Smithy »

"You should find that this distro works on those, as well, OOTB."

Thanks gc.martin, hopefully if I have to stick a stick in another comp somewhere it will just boot up with out problemas.

As regards the taskbar, this is the look I want to achieve.

I tried to turn them into svg s and they looked like black treacle dripping down a white chalkboard. Like those days at school when the teacher was out of control..
Attachments
image-1.png
(12.87 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

Tman

#26 Post by Tman »

Smithy wrote: Noticed that the jwm tray height is busted, i.e you can't make the taskbar
thicker in height.
Hi Smithy,

I think perhaps you are confusing the Xfce4-panel and tray with the Jwm tray. For the next release, I will rename the option for "restartwm jwm" to "restartwm jx" to (hopefully) reduce confusion.
In this default mode. the Jwm window manager is used, but the main panel and tray are replaced by the more user-friendly "xfce4-panel"

To change the hieght of the xfce panel, you need to right-click on the panel then goto --> Panel --> Panel Preferences. A small gui will pop up and the option to change the height of the panel/tray is labelled as "Row Size".

The file to control the jwm tray is /root/.jwmrc-tray
Note there is a backup of the original jwm tray, along with some other custom tray files ,for example:
.jwmrc-tray.original, .jwmrc-tray.custom1, etc.

As for the SVG icons, that was 01micko's choice to include them.
Although they are bigger in size than the png icons, their advantage is that they should look more attractive/detailed on large TV's or monitors. I don't think I will bother trying to alter them.

Hope that helps.
Attachments
panel_preferences.jpg
(39.29 KiB) Downloaded 382 times

Smithy

#27 Post by Smithy »

Oh, I must have been trying to resize the wrong height panel, thanks will try again.

As regards the taskbar firewall and network svg's, they are TINY on a 1400x1900 monitor.

Plus the hard drive light (on) indicators are very small and unclear, especially against a dark background.

I mention this because there in no "undo" in Puppy!

I realise that these are developer issues, but just thought I would mention them since they are so important in making derivatives.

Cheers.

Tman

#28 Post by Tman »

Hi Everyone,

I have released version 3 of JX_Slacko. It includes bug fixes found in the previous releases (thanks testers), as well as some newly added features.
Pprocess has been removed, in favour of LXTask. I have changed some of the restartwm "***" commands. You can find them at the bottom of the conky window. I have decided NOT to add Metacity to the list, due to the fact that I can't get it to play nicely with many of the Metacity themes I've tried.

Tote and maybe some others may be happy to know that this pup now remembers your on/off settings for wbar and conky, so no modification is needed on the user's part anymore. I still plan to add Fbpanel to the mix, but that will have to wait for the next release, along with some polishing of the smaller details.

I think the next release will be the final version... but I am taking the slow route these days with Puppy stuff, so don't expect the final version to be out for at least 1 or 2 months.

Happy testing! :D

partsman

#29 Post by partsman »

Ah many thanks Tman !
Will give def give it a spin tonight !
Keep up the wonderful work !
The on/off conky is great !
I always liked conky but sometimes gets in the way !
Very nice indeed :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

#30 Post by partsman »

Hi again Tman :D
Posting from JXSlacko now :D
All is well very nicely done !
One thing I did notice is i cant change the # of virtual desktops :?
See screenshot
Looking great :wink:
Keep it up !
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-05-16_013158.jpg
(97.01 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Tman

#31 Post by Tman »

Hi partsman,

Sorry for the late reply. The options in the picture you posted only works with xfwm4 window manager. If you type restartwm xfwm4 in the terminal, you will find that it will work.

To change the number of virtual desktops with " Joe's Window Manager", to need to edit a config file for it.

To do so, you can type the following in the terminal:

Code: Select all

geany /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
Edit line 6 of the file, save changes. and restart JWM with the command: jwm -restart

Hope that helps.

partsman

#32 Post by partsman »

Tman wrote:Hi partsman,

Sorry for the late reply. The options in the picture you posted only works with xfwm4 window manager.
Sorry Tman sometimes I can be a little dumb :shock:
I know better ! Most days :wink:
Looking awesome !
Thank you so much for this :wink: