How to connect Diamond Supera Express serial port thru usb?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mikeymouse

How to connect Diamond Supera Express serial port thru usb?

#1 Post by mikeymouse »

I have a diamond supera Express serial port hardware modem. It has always worked in all Linux distributions.
I have connected it using a serial to usb adapter cable. No serial port on this new puter.
The modem works on com4 in winxp.
Puppy 1.02 cannot find this modem.
If anyone has any ideas how to connect in puppy I would really appreciate their advice .
thanks
mikeymouse

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

these two links, about getting usb2serial adaptors working in puppy, might help:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=7251

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... hlight=usb

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

The best long-term solution is not to support the cheapskates who push out boxes without the most basic and necessary I/O options. Not as if there isn't plenty of choice. Notwithstanding, it really isn't a good idea to buy proprietary boxes at all. Building your own may only save a few pence but you will get a spec. to your personal taste, that you are better equipped to upgrade and fix at a later date.

mikeymouse

#4 Post by mikeymouse »

I just purchased a dell 930 dual core.. it has everything i need video card,soundcard, problem i never thought about the serial port.. thus i cannot use my external modems.
Mind you i can install a hardware modem I have one in a previous machine.
When you go to buy a new puter i have yet to see a modem that is not a winmodem..
Actually I have yet to see a hardware internal modem in any store i think they are getting to be a rare bird.
I run Ubuntu 6.06,Xandros 4.0 and puppy linux.. of course thats on a pentium 4 which has serial port.. (g).
Someday Linux may handle winmodems and then it will really takeoff and be popular..
thanks mikeymouse

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

That is an oxymoron! Why should a Winmodem, designed to work with a specific OS, work with any other system?! Furthermore, Winmodems are inferior - they consume cpu cycles because they don't contain the minimum complement of components to make them modems.
The good citizens of N America continue to be conned by the likes of Dell, whose only interest is putting your money in their pockets. The answer has to be stop feeding them!
But help is at hand - you can purchase a serial port on a PCI card for not a lot of dosh.

mikeymouse

#6 Post by mikeymouse »

Actally i got a better deal from Dell than i could from any other computer maker. I received more in the system than i could buy anywhere and it was about half the price of doing it myself.
As long as you get a good machine, with a good video card, a good sound card thats what is improtant. (forgot about the serial port) (g).
Anyway i appreciate the headsup on the serial port pci card, thats something i had not thought of.. much appreciated..
Now to go out and find one..
thanks mikeymouse

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Beg to differ. Apart from the missing FDD, missing serial port, probably a Winmodem - do you actually know what else they economised on?! That'll be on-board video? Nothing but trouble. On-board sound? Adequate, if there are drivers, esp. for Linux. Like I said, building your own aint cheaper, but you get to choose proper components and can upgrade/repair the beast down the line. Moreover, that'll be an Intel cpu?! Nuff sed......