[Request] gspca kernel modules for LuPu 5.2.8

For drivers and kernel modules.
chiron²

[Request] gspca kernel modules for LuPu 5.2.8

#1 Post by chiron² »

Hello all,

I have an ancient (10 years) Webcam, Logitech Quickcam Pro (with dark Focus ring, if that matters) and I want to use it with an equally ancient P IV Laptop to spy on the birds in a nesting box. (And somehow stream video/single frames from the shed to the house).

I have the camera setup tested and it works with my everyday laptop, running either fatdog630 or slacko 64. Figured it should be no problem to run it on older hardware with an older kernel.

lsusb gives me the following:

ID 046d:d001 Logitech Inc. QuickCam Pro

The Chip is a divio nw801.

Fatdog loads these kernel modules:

gspca_main
gspca_nw80x
videodev

LuPu 528 is missing the nw80x.ko, and it is not in the kernel source, either. Is there a way to get the module? The other modules are loaded. Kernel 2.6.33.2. Or, if someone has said webcam working in an older version of puppy (say, 4.3.1), tell me and I will gladly switch backward.
(I tried racy 5.5, it did have the modules, but the video output was garbled, and I am not sure the laptop is up to racy anyhow)
Last edited by chiron² on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Before compiling a new driver I suggest to try installing v4l-utils and preload v4l1compat.so to get the webcam working:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62667

chiron²

#3 Post by chiron² »

The libv4l doesn't help in lupu 528, since it is missing the gspca module to communicate with the chip. But it does help in slacko 5.7, which also has the kernel modules. In racy preloading the v4l1compat.so throws an GLIBC version error, so I abandoned that for the purpose.
Slacko 5.6 has the kernel modules, too, so I have 2 candidates to try on the old laptop.
Didn't you put together a puppy with some motion-detection stuff? Might become interesting for me, not very much excitement in recording snoozing birds ;)

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

chiron² wrote: In racy preloading the v4l1compat.so throws an GLIBC version error, so I abandoned that for the purpose.
Try v4l-utils compiled in wary 5.3:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83569

Edit:

If you need motion for slacko read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88560

chiron²

#5 Post by chiron² »

OK, so I took another road ... ;)

After some trial and error it seems an established fact that this special webcam ONLY works in Slacko64 and Fatdog630. NONE of the 32bit distros (LuPu528, Slacko5.6, Slacko5.7, Upup Precise 5.7 retro, racy 5.5, wary 5.5, 4.31 ...) I tried worked, some lacked the gspca_nw80x.ko module, some had it, but didn't even recognize the cam, others had only very limited functionality (no whitebalance, resolution fixed at 320x240).
Before ditching the cam, I looked into USB over ethernet. And that worked, with not very much effort. LuPu 5.28 as USB server in the shed, and Slacko64 as 'viewer' in the house.

USB over Ethernet I used is

www.incentivespro.com/usb-server.html‎

proprietary, needs some kernel module compiling, but everything documented really well and works on first attempt.